Jodie's T-V | SouthernPaddler.com

Jodie's T-V

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Been workig on a boat for a friend these past few weeks and finally took her for a test run today before hand-over.

The design is this one with a couple of miner mods :D

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail ... gPirogueTV

and the specific requirements were that it needed to be light enough for a lady to load on and off her car on her own, yet big enough to carry significant weight and beam and still be a very good boat to paddle.

I am very happy to say that this boat does all of that easily. So much so, that with Matt's very kind permission, I intend to build another one for myself.

Tx River Rat, (Ron) built the prototype and has allready done a review of this boat and the only thing I can find in it to dis-agree with is that he has understated just how good this boat is. In short, the boat is simply brilliant! As fast or faster tha Laker 13, more stable and with a lot more load capacity. This boat is, without any doubt in my mind, the best pirogue in Matts fleet of very good pirogues - and that, my friends, is a VERY big call. :D

Please let me share with you some piccies of my version of this lovely design.

Bow Hatch

007-9.jpg

Stern hatch

005-16.jpg

Jodies Boat!

012cropped.jpg

010-5.jpg

016cropped.jpg

009640x480.jpg

Length - 15 feet

Weight - 16kilograms (35 pounds) :D 8)

001640x480-2.jpg

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Mr Mick Gooday to ya
Another fine craft made by a Fine craftsman. Great job. I am sure Ms Jodie will love it and paddle it in to history.
Great job
Joe

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
tv

I noted a 1/4 inch epoxy run 3 " aft of the foward toggle.

Do to the unfinished look this imparts, You will have to send it to me . We cannot have such an unprofessional looking craft being used by a non-geezer.

EXCELLENT JOB as usual Mick.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys.

This is the rough draft of my thoughts on the boat.

I put in at our local weir with light tail winds as I headed up stream.

Started off using a double blade kayak touring paddle and just sort of ghosted along enjoying a late spring day. She paddles like a kayak very well.

I changed to a single blade and the first thing I noticed is that this boat doesn't point from side to side nearly as much as a keel-less pirogue. I don't bother with fancy "J" strokes and such, I just paddle along and change from side to side as I need to. In this boat 3 or 4 strokes each side is fine.

Speed, This is not a Southwind or Sasquatch and is not as fast as them. Both these boats are very fast by any standard and I never expected it to be so.

Having said that, speed is still very good. At sprint pace, similar to laker perhaps a little faster and way faster than either of the other pirogues I have built, or swampgirl.

Glide again, very good. Superior to the pirogues or swampgirl but not quite as good as my big canoes. possibly a little better than the Laker.

Maneuverability - superb, way superior to any of the other Jem Boats I own with the possible exception of Laker.

Stability I would call it as very good to superb, certainly more stable than the Laker who some have found a little "tippy" This is part of the reason I recommend a model of this boat with a laker like deck. For those for whom stability is important, this boat would be a very good alternative to a laker.

Wind Signature very good. as my day progressed the wind increased to around 15 knots and gusting to probably 25. Wind signature was minimal.

Weathercocking non existent I paddled this boat on all points of the wind and there was never a problem.

Tracking superb. She ran straight and true at all times. I had no need to do any corrective strokes at any time. She went where I wanted and behaved beautifuly.

Knuckle banging non existent in this boat. The tumblehome panel works a treat and is well worth the extra effort during the build.

I know I have raved about each and every Jem boat that I have built and this one is certainly no exception. I hesitate to let Robin paddle this one because I am certain she will want one just like it.

For my purposes here, this boat is very close to the ideal. Light, fast, maneuverable and stable for playing solid fish. All this with enough load capacity for several days camping or a second paddler.

Everything Ron has said about this boat is absolutely correct. If anything, his praise for it understated. For a fisherman, wildlife photographer or for just fun paddling, I would (and will be) recommending this boat to anybody who asks. I have allways wanter a sort of pack canoe and my TV (when built) will fill that role nicely, thank you.

Thank you again Matt, for yet, another superb design. It is my opinion that this boat is a winner - by any standard. A very good compromise, or cross-over boat between canoe and kayak. I believe all who build or paddle this boat will love it. :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
As always I enjoyed your build and impressions of a the craft you built, This time I was especially interested in your view because I love the T-V I built and your comparison to your other boats gives me a way to compare the southwind to the boats I already own.
The first time she is really loaded she paddles and glides even better
and is so easy to maneuver she will spoil you.
I am a rookie paddler compared to you Sparkey Jack and some others on here so I don't brag to loud about the boats, BUT THIS IS A DAM KEEPER.
Dont ever slow down on documenting your builds I look forward to every one.
Mick if we could just get together with all our boats we could have a pretty good wooden boat messabout between us :lol:
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick...

Send that T-V over here to my place and I will store it for txriverrat to try in a few years or so. Till then I promise to keep the dust off it and make sure it has not sprung any leaks from storage. Who knows I could even drive by Bald Cypress and his place just so he could look at it ... no touching , just looking. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
PS. As light as it is the postage should not be that much.