JEM

Kinda like you were describing.

http://boatplans.dk/mo-dutch.asp?level=n

mod-28.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
:shock: :D Hey, there is one of those here in Hervey Bay. :D

Couple of geezers have got it and are often seen anchored up and camping it it in secluded little places. I think they have about a 10 hp motor on it. The seem to use it like a sort of mini house boat. Bunk on either side and sling a tarp over the lot at night.

Next time I see em, I'll ask about it. Bloody great idea.

Seagullplayer

Jun 28, 2007
Southern Indiana
Thanks, those are some good ideas. I never thought of leaving the top open and using a tarp for a roof! That is a perfect solution for a small boat; open for good weather fishing and bungee a roof inplace when needed.
Should help keep it lighter too...

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm thinking you want to be sure the center of the tarp roof is well supported higher than the sides so water will run off. A ridge pole cokes to mind.

Given the slightest depression, it will sag & pool water. Then it will collapse.

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
I always thought it would be cool to use some thin pvc and a hunk of canvas and make a jon boat into what would look like an old covered wagon for exactly those purposes. One could also zipper some doors into the side for stickin a fishing pole out. :)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mate, Those john boat/camper thingees would be ideal for the waters round our Great Sandy Straights.

Warm climate (mostly) and a maze of mangrove islands and sand flats with gutters going everywhere. soon as I can, I'll up load some piccies from the air to show you what I mean. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Wimperdink,

I'm thinking that your floating Conestoga boats would have a very high wind signature. They would blow all over - and then just tip over.

Or - you smart aleck - were you just pulling our chains?

Matt

Jul 17, 2007
Carolina
I'd think it wouldn't be bad for calm nights. Not the kind of boat you'd take out on choppy water or windy conditions anyway.

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
Kayak Jack said:
Wimperdink,

I'm thinking that your floating Conestoga boats would have a very high wind signature. They would blow all over - and then just tip over.

Or - you smart aleck - were you just pulling our chains?

well actually i'm serious but I might fish in differant conditions than you folks. My idea was to have the top frame work set up more like a bimini top but in the shape of a covered wagon. All easily removeable for travel to the fishing/sleeping spot then a quick easy setup once there. I fish in coves that are surrounded by mountians and trees. Once off the open water, there is next to no wind where I fish. The cover would just be to keep rain and misquito's and bird poop off ya. :) I'm anchored a lot, crappie fishing.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Set it up so when you have it in position for sleeping that a overhang is at one end and attach some screening. This way you would get any breeze there is while napping.

An eve over one end to ward off any rain and any Army -Navy store has the screening you could use. If the opening was towards the end of the boat where the anchor would be ( usually the bow ) then the boat would always be facing the breeze when anchored providing you with free ventilation. Or do both ends. :roll:

Chuck.

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
I agree... and if this was being done on a smaller flat bottom jon boat, drag it up on the beach and climb back in for an instant tent in case your concerned about wind or a stiff breeze.

Which in your case Jack, when you toss the bottle down at bed time, any breeze is a stiff breeze. :lol: :lol: j/k

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Who tosses the bottle down at bedtime? Just set up an IV, and press on.

Jack... Where they insert that tube it is not ... I repeat ... NOT an IV. No one has ever had an IV inserted when they are laying belly down in that part of there anatomy. Grant you , larger the life targets are a lot easier to hit. :wink:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Wimperdink said:
I'm anchored a lot, crappie fishing.
A fella caint have too many crappie fishin' pals.....'er crappie catchin' pals. I like crappie even better'n sardines. Fish dont normally git me droolin'.

regards
bearridge

ps How often do ya fry? How far frum Cleveland? When ya have geezers over ta eat, do ya put out Louisiana Hot Sauce look alike Louisiana Habanero Hot Sauce? :lol:

Heckler: "Mr. Churchill, you're drunk!"
Churchill: "Yes, I am; and you are ugly. But tomorrow, I shall be sober."

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
I fry everytime I pull some in... My freezer stash of crappie has started to go downhill lately. The fishin hasn't been great and I have to take care of that four letter word w*rk thing. soon though very soon.