Just a little gunleather | SouthernPaddler.com

Just a little gunleather

islandpiper

Just a couple of recent projects. Lots of fun.

DSCF0366.jpg

DSCF0367.jpg

DSCF0368.jpg

DSCF0369.jpg

DSCF0372.jpg

DSCF0374.jpg

Notice that the hammer is completely enclosed......I did this after our own Kayak Jack told a story about hooking the hammer of his pistol on a tree branch out in the boondocks. That might explain some of his gray hair.

DSCF0377.jpg

DSCF0351.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That was on a manzanita bush in the Sierra's, on the North Fork of the American River, just above Rucky Chucky rapids. Having the hammer covered is good; I had the leather opened up around my trigger.

I like the way you've formed the leather around the cylinder of the .44. That way, a holster grips a gun to keep it from bouncing out. I'd oil my gun and wrap it in plastic wrap, soak the holster in hot water, insert the gun, and handwork leather in around all nooks and crannies of the gun - pressing it tightly, and let it dry like that. After it had a good grip around the gun, I'd lightly lube the upper part of a holster with Vaseline and graphite.

Your leather work is nice, Piper San, nice.

islandpiper

I wet formed the .44 slim-jim holster. On the .22 revolver it just folded it, and it sits deep enough i don't think it will pop out. If it wants to , I'll sell the holster and make a new one. I think the Ruger holster will easily carry a .45 1911 with no mods.

I want to make a fancy-a$$ holster for my H&K .32 revolver now....ought to make something for myself once in a while.

piper

islandpiper

I finally got to make one for myself . It was made around my H&K .32 revolver. I like the "full cover" style for carrying in the boat and hiking through heavy brush. If I think I need a "quick draw" holster, I'll make one of them, too.

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

It is about 6 oz oak tanned leather, tooled and colored and then oiled. Hangs on the waistbelt just like it grew there. piper