Just curious. . . So a small survey here. . . | SouthernPaddler.com

Just curious. . . So a small survey here. . .

Steve

I have been here reading over these recipes and and began to wonder how many of you guys have tried these recipes (or some of them). . . how you found them to taste. . . and which ones are favorites. . . Just sorta pretend yer one o' dem hi-dollar restaurant critics a-writin' one of dem dare valible recommendations :lol: :D :lol:

One rule to this survey. . . you can't talk about yer own recipes posted here................. and if'n ya don't like Jack's cookin' he won't be offended. He won't understand it, but he won't be offended. . . so if no one picks yer recipe. . . no offense meant......

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Steve,
I''ll start off thes neverending threas with Jacks Dark and Dusky Chicken. That is some good stuff. Works with ham too. Anyone that has not read the recepie will have a hard time finding it. Mr. Meek,Wont Blow His Own Whistle, Quiet, Introverted Kayak Jack chose to bury the recipie it up in another thread instead of in it's own thread HINT HINT. Hopefully he will see the error of his ways and put it on it's own thresd so more people can enjoy it. I'll have Jarvis talk to him about it.
Bob

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I tried the Frito Pie. Jarvis dont eat fresh jalapenos, so we had plenty. Sondra knows how ta pick out mild ones. [grin] I dont recall tryin' anythin' else, but each day there iz more'n more I caint recall.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jezee , I have trouble remembering what I had for supper last night , much a few days or a week ago but there are some that stick out since they have been requested at get togethers here at the place.

I like Chili so I cooked up a batch of Dangermouse01 Chili ( different then the way I make chili ) and cornbread. It is really good , better the next day after things get to mingle together for a while and you will have some leftovers. The same for Jacks Shishkebobs , good that 1st time but a lot better the following day. Oldyakers Marinated London Broil and his Bayou ham with red beans and rice ( I almost doubled his recipe but not quite ) . Both are a fine supper but again I liked them the next day ... do you see a trend here. :lol:

Actually I have tried a lot of the others and haven't found anything I would or have not cooked again. The above ones stick in my mind because they are what the wife and I like plus some are nice to have when friends drop by for a bite to eat.
As far as the Shishkebobs even pups likes them. Mary an Neil , the wife and I were sitting on the back porch while enjoying them for supper and pups snuck up and took one of the shishkebobs right out of my hand. I was waiting for it to cool down a bit so I could enjoy it. Fortunately we had a good batch of them cooking. :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Like most....I don't think there is a bad recipe on here. I still make Chucks Shepherds Pie.....His Pimento Cheese spread is wonderful every Holiday.

I like the Loozyanna folks recipes.

Jacks Oatmeal bar is a fine paddl'n bar.

I still peruse the recipe section looking to try something different......

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Being at least 90% maverick, I never follow directions - recipes included. So, I use the recipe as a hint of in what direction to start, and no limitations on how badly off course I can wander. Steve hasn't commented yet that the original recipe for Dark & Dusky is different from the one I posted recently. Because I didn't write it down and ran on mammary - or memory - whichever you prefer.

Yakus Stewarticus has good recipes (almost) every time he writes. Like Steven King writes books, I'd pay for Yak's jot notes.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Here is one for your next "Stonecutters" covered dish Chez Jack......

Reuben Dip
6 to 8 servings
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (8-ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and chopped
1/2 pound deli sliced corned beef, finely chopped
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients; mix well, and spoon into the baking dish.
Cover and bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly. Uncover and bake for 5 minutes, or until it begins to turn golden. Serve warm.

Serve with crackers or party rye bread slices.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Best I recall it wuz the High Sheriff who posted the pickled onion recipe. Fer years I have been droppin' stuff in vinegar, mostly fer salads, but last month we ended up with a heap a onions in the ice box, so I cut some up 'n put 'em in a big jar of apple cider vingear. [Didnt have any white vinegar handy.] I added some wild garlic. I ate that whole jar 'n then filled it with more onions.....the "organic" Vidalias Miz Bear picked up in Northern Carolina.

I put some in a salad, but mostly I jest put some on the plate. I'd give Jarvis some....if he would quit droolin'. [grin]

regards
bearridge

Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.  Friedrich Nietzsche

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Br'r Bear, I understand onions are the most nutritious vegetable out there. "I love's'em", sez Popeye. Well, OK, ya got me. Popeye didn't say that - but he SHOULD have.

A few months ago, I decided to pamper and spoil myself (a bit more), and started stocking a variety of pickles. Sweet ones, hot ones, sharp garlicky dill ones - all Jarvis good eatin' with various foods. You're in good company, Br'r Bear.

Jack Voss
Pickles Anonymous Member# 2

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear....

That was my Grandmothers recipe that I posted.
Nothing more then sliced up onions , sliced cucumbers , some salt and pepper and vinegar covering all of it , let it sit in the frig for a while and then enjoy.
I try to keep a jar in the frig with the Vidalias , cucumbers mix. :D

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I have usually mixed onions, garlic, cucumbers, beets, wax beans, kidney beans, etc. Carrots dont work that good. Jest plain ole onions wuz a surprize. I know a heap a folks use white vinegar, but apple cider vinegar works jest az good. The flavor of the "onion only" iz jest a bit different frum mixin' other vegetables with 'em. Try it.