Kayak Jack and his Canadian trip | SouthernPaddler.com

Kayak Jack and his Canadian trip

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
I think a word is in order for the fearless Kayak Jack, who will shove off in the morning ( I'm sure with a healthy breakfast of eggs/bacon/grits/and toast).
Jack if possible gather some type of symbolic materials to place in a small bag to carry with ya. Each item should be an icon of each of us on the forum. Then as you slip the realms of this modern world and go back to yesterday when the French plied those waters and the red man was sole guardian of all about you, lift that bag and allow us to "see" beyond our suburban horizons. Allow us to "hear" the wolf, the birds, and all else that inhabit those waters and rocks. For our spirits go with you and your tales will come back to us to savor even more fully than tonight's suppers. Cast a prayer to the Great Manitu above and remember those who are still shackled to now-a-day and the asphalt and cement world.
Breath in the air and refresh your soul for years to come. Then when you see something or some animal, perhaps it is us in our "skin-walker" selves.

May the water be clear and calm,
May the weather be clear and warm,
May the food be enough and filling,
May the drink be of good taste and quenching,
May the company be of cheer and comfort,
May the protages be short and not tiring,
May the Good Lord watch your route,
May we all , in turn, do the same.

Swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Swampy,

I want to thank you for the kind thoughts and well wishes. You called it to a tee except those damned portages. In better shape this year, I carried about 1/2 to 3/4 of my stuff. I'm damned if I know why those guys didn't just leave me along the trail somewhere. True outdoors gentlemen, above and beyond types to the core.

The Katie Bug has a few streaks of pine needles stuck to some uncured epoxy, which will become a permanent part of her. I viewed the La Cloche mountains (really just foot hills) for you guys and gals; I watched the Merganser ducks flying underwater for fish; I heard and watched inumerable loons for all of you; I listened to the call of the wild - a wolf howling for each and every one of you; and I drank of single malt Scotch - but that was just for me.