kayak outriggers | SouthernPaddler.com

kayak outriggers

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Ok, you number crunchers, how much volume do I need for outriggers for my kayak. I'm not looking for a standup boat, just going to raise my seat height to about 12-14" or so for comfortable fishing. I plan on sitting up on the back deck of the Swamper on a foam pad and found that about 24" out from the centerline allowed clearance for paddling. That would give a +48" footprint which should be plenty. I plan on making the unit easily removable to decrease paddling resistance to and from the fishing spots ( usually 2-3 miles) .

I spotted some 3 1/4" diameter pool noodles at Walmart that look promising. Wondering if a 3ft section on each side would be enough.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Using duct tape, attach some cane fishing poses across your gunnels. Add pool noodles. Stand up ion the boat. If you don't fall out, remove the duct tape and place it with wood screws. If you do fall in, add one additional noodle to both sides.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Oooooohhhh, the scientific method, eh? :mrgreen: Probably the best way in the long run. I saw a couple of set-ups on Youtube where they used 1" PVC pipe and fittings to make the crosspieces, uprights and float supports. I figure the 3 1/4" OD pool noodle would work fine slipped over the T shaped float supports.

I just have to find time to do this in between completely gutting and remodeling my bathroom. :(

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Might wanna get the bathroom completed first. It's a tad more important, I'd think. Even a Cajun can't stand up in a boat if he has high pucker factor, thinking of other - more pressing - matters. :wink: