Kayak repair question | SouthernPaddler.com

Kayak repair question

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I posted another thread about a recent family get away and all the fun we had.
38682_1401936257272_1498295544_31103645_681254_n.jpg

Well, it seems my over sized chiquita banana didn't fair so well.
Upon closer inspection, it seems the boat was dragged across the concrete, leaving a "smallish" hole in the very end of the keel. Not as big as the 1" drain hole on top of the boat, but big enough to take on a good bit of water if left alone.

So my question is, what do I use to fill the hole? Epoxy? Do they still make Shoe-goo (not really sure what that stuff is/was)? My objective for the repair is to be cost effective (cheap) and easy. I hardly use this boat any more and I've certainly got my moneys worth over the years. The hole is relatively small, so I don't think the boat is a goner... yet.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I'm in no rush to get it done. Although, this is the first weekend since I don't know when that we don't have plans, so if the rain ever stops, I might give the west system a try.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Heck, Russ, just slap on a piece of Keith's bacon. The sun will fry it in place and bond it to the plastic. If you get hungry - just eat the patch.

Yeah yeah, I know. This is supposed to be a serious section. But - Keith does some serious work with bacon.

might be late for suggestions but.....
There is an old way of repairing holes in plastic buckets bet it would work for a plastic yak too.
Coins tend to be made to last a long time. If you can find a coin of a suitable size, pinch it in some pliers and heat that sucker up quite hot. Then just drop the hot coin right on top of the hole and have some cold water ready. The coin will melt its way into the plastic and the plastic will sort of curl around the coin. Douse the coin with the cold water before it melts thru and you have a permanent patch.