Kevlar.... | SouthernPaddler.com

Kevlar....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
OK...who here owns a kevlar canoe? What do you think of it? I'm kicking tires on kevlar canoes. Getting to old to throw 80 pounds over my shoulders and carrying it a half mile. I'm looking for a kevlar tripping canoe, decent for use on rivers and lakes, used mostly solo but also can be used tandem for day trips. Would like it to weigh no more than 40 pounds and be 16 foot long. I'm in no hurry to purchase as I want to make sure I like what I purchase. If you own a kevlar boat, please tell me about it and what you think of it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Raka Has the kevlar , you could use it in place of fiberglass but a boat from 1/8th inch wood and glassed would be in the mid 30's to 40 pound class.

I did one pirogue at 15 1/2 and 32 and then a canoe at 16 and 40 pounds with the thinner wood and fiberglass.

Chuck.

JEM

Kevlar is great stuff but has disadvantages. If it gets exposed, it will wick water. Also, it gets "fuzzy" if it's cut. It has a tendency to float in the resin when laying it up.

Repair and construction with it can be a pain, but certainly doable.

If you're building your own, I'd use s-glass instead. If buying one pre-made, look for one that has something over the kevlar like gel coat or other fiberglass.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
We have a kevlar, double sea kayak. It is about 20 feet long and a very good boat. I am not convinced that it is very much lighter than an equivelant boat made from fibreglass.

We have had no problems with the boat. We don't paddle it much anymore but when we did, all was good.

A 16 to 17 foot canoe made from 1/8th ply would be just as viable and probably a better option in my humble opinion. Perhaps, something along the lines of a Merlin 17? :D