KIM CHEE(Korean Sauerkraut) | SouthernPaddler.com

KIM CHEE(Korean Sauerkraut)

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Okay , I had this recipe for "Kim Chee". You can make this or just buy a jar of it from the grocery store :lol: KAHUNA To make kim chee (also called "Spicy hot pickled cabbage") one needs:

4-5 pounds of napa cabbage
a good deal of garlic
(powdered garlic may be used, but fresh, even out of a jar, is better)
powdered red chili peppers (available in Oriental markets or the Asian
section at the supermarket)
ginger (fresh preferred but powdered may be used--the ginger actually
helps keep the heat from bothering your stomach)
1 cup of coarse kosher salt

DAY 1: cut up cabbage into pieces roughly 1 - 2 inches long and 1 - 2
inches wide. Layer in a crock with 1 cup of salt. Cover with cold water. Weight down with a dish that has had a heavy object placed on it. Mix with hand or wooden spoon 2 times in a 24 hour period.

DAY 2: pour out salted water and wash cabbage by refilling with cold
water and draining several times. Layer half the cabbage with a mixture to be described in a moment. Then use the rest of the cabbage and the remainder of the mixture. Cut up 2 bunches of scallions in 1 inch pieces and add to the cabbage mixture.

The fermenting mixture: 10 thin slices of fresh ginger minced or 2
tablespoons of powdered ginger, 3 entire heads of chopped garlic (or 8
tablespoons of powdered garlic), 6 tablespoons of powdered chili peppers.

Place these ingredients in a 1 quart jar and fill half way with water.
Shake to mix.

DAYS 3-5 Mix well with hand or spoon. It will get very smelly. The
Koreans often put this mixture in the ground but if you have a back porch, that's OK too. Putting it outside is no problem since animals are too smart to come near it!

Day 6: Put in glass jars and refrigerate for 2 to 3 days. DON'T SHAKE THE JARS. DON'T PUT THE CAP ON TOO TIGHTLY. Eat cold. This will keep for several months.

If too spicy use less powdered chili peppers next time around. If not
spicy enough, use more chili peppers next time around.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Cool!

Bubba, I should have known if anyone had this recipe you would. Thanks man! I am gonna give it a try whilst I wait out the winter between tying flys and maybe a wooden model boat or ship. I don't know about deep southern Illinois, but the high here today was 37 degrees with snow squalls and high winds. Going to 25 tonight. Stay warm buddy.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Uses for cats & dogs

Take one cat, freeze it standing up. Remove from freezer & lay it on its back. Put logs in betrween outstretched legs and use as andirons.

To make a dog sound like a cat, freeze it. Remove from freezer & cut with a band saw. Hear the "EEEOOOwww EEEOOOwww"

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
TRUE STORY!! Re: Uses for cats & dogs

A While back a friend of mine and his wife went to this local Oriental Grub Place. They kept hearing a cat whining and crying comeing from the kitchen. All at once they are this loud "WHACK-WHACK" :!: The Cat Crying stopped abruptly :!: Needless to say my friend and his wife left the place really fast :lol: A few days later the place was closed by the Health Department for killing cats and cooking them and putting the meat in their dishes. I SWEAR :!: KAHUNA :cry: