KNORR One Skillet Meals | SouthernPaddler.com

KNORR One Skillet Meals

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Knorr has something new - one skillet meals. Add meat & veggies (varies with each type of meal), bring to boil, simmer, let rest, enjoy. We're trying the "Lemon Chicken With Barley (add chicken, carrots, & spinach) at home before committing to it in camp.

One more goody from the grocery store that can go well in camp.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If a person will take some time and really look around in a grocery store they can find a whole new world of meals for Paddling , Backpacking or just a lazy supper at home. I like to find something new and then figure out what would go good with it and locate that to make a meal.

For a meal at home or canoeing..........
Last night it was 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts , some minute rice , Sliced water chestnuts , Bamboo sprouts , Pineapple chunks and a bag of frozen stir fry mix.
Cut the chicken with some scissors into bite size pieces. Browned it. Added the frozen stir fry mix , then the rest drained. Next the pineapple chunks with all the juice. Last thing in was the rice. Put the lid on the pan and let it steam for a while. Added just a little water since there was a lot of juice from the pineapple for the rice and mixed it up.
I added a little sweet & sour sauce to my bowl when serving it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I concur. OTS, "Off The Shelf" camp meals are much easier, and tastier, now than a few years ago. Meals that are worthy of Thanksgiving or Christmas can be packed into the field, and enjoyed with a bit of fixing.

But, I still like jerky, nuts, and dried fruit.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Lately I have been skipping the jerky and getting the Smoked Shortie Sausages from Dukes.
Nuts and Dried fruit is a old standby for me. Turn me loose in a Chamberlains Market and Cafe dried fruit and nuts section and I will leave with the fixings for a all natural trail mix.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
My fixings for soups and stews for supper, nuts and fruits and either cheeses or jerky for lunches, are similar to what has been carried for thousands of years. The Coleman stove design isn't quite that old.

And, the scotch goes back only 12-18 years, or so.

Now, Bob will try to tell you that caravans on the Sahara carried okra. But, I think he's just stretching the truth there. Though, I. might have believed him if he'd said the Voyageurs had carried them.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Now, Bob will try to tell you that caravans on the Sahara carried okra. But, I think he's just stretching the truth there. Though, I. might have believed him if he'd said the Voyageurs had carried them.

You might be more correct then you know.
I found this on Google.......Okra probably originated somewhere around Ethiopia, and was cultivated by the ancient Egyptians by the 12th century B.C.

It's rumored that the slaves on the slave ships managed to smuggle some Okra seeds with them and that's how it got over here. Probably the smartest thing that happen back then. Can't imaging life without pickled Okra , Fired Okra or Stewed Tomatoes and Okra as a side dish.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
You can't normally grow okra that far North. That is the only reason Voyagers did not have okra. The reason all those folks up north are moving South is so they can have okra. Oh! And let me make a bunch of you Happy if you do not know about this. If you can find it in the grocery store get a can or 10 of Old Glory turnip greens. Take it home, open the can, dump the contents in a pot and heat. Do not add Anything as they come pre seasoned. They are AWESOME.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My fixings for soups and stews for supper, nuts and fruits and either cheeses or jerky for lunches, are similar to what has been carried for thousands of years. The Coleman stove design isn't quite that old.

And, the scotch goes back only 12-18 years, or so.

Jack....
For the love of life I can't see what is so good about Scotch. :p
A friend gave me a bottle of the Balvenie Portwood 21 year old Scotch. I guess it might be considered OK by itself but it's a lot better mixed with some Coke and Ice. Might try some with a Dr.Pepper just for the heck of it. Either way it's no where as good as some good old Sour Mash Bourbon like Jim Beam or Jack Daniels for sipping or mixing.
Guess , that bottle of Scotch will be sitting on the shelf for some more years.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I think it might be a taste that's either acquired through practice, or inherited through DNA? I've had a fair amount of bourbon, but have totally lost any yen for it. Just doesn't taste good to me.

So, I'll leave bourbon alone so you can have more of it.