Lake Lenthall bassin. - again | SouthernPaddler.com

Lake Lenthall bassin. - again

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
g'day guys,

Woke this morning to a very cool and frosty pre- dawn. Saw Robin off to work and decided to head out to the local lake for a bit of a look-see.
Haven't been out there in a while and was just busting to try out some new stuff I got from Cabelas. I bloody LOVE that store. :D

Got a bunch of Rapala hard baits for less than 8 bucks each. Bloody tackle shops here are charging up to 27 bucks for the same lure. Got a heap of other little goodies too. :lol: a good tactic is to ALLWAYS get a lil sumpin for the lovely missus too. :roll:

Got out to the put in just as the sun was breaking over the trees and hitting the water. (my favourite time of day.)

004640x480.jpg

005640x480.jpg

And had the place all to myself. 8)

006640x480.jpg

This lake/dam is the water supply for the area and the local water authority has been doing the put in up some, in the hopes of attracting tourists to the lake. I think what they have done is nice but I preferred it when it was just bush.

While I was loading the canoe, the local ranger, James came by and we chatted for a while. He is a very keen and very competent angler in his own right and can be a wealth of local knowledge in this lake. He is a;lso a very good bloke who is passionate about the lake and its surrounds and keeps the place immaculate.

While we were talking, the dew froze on the deck of my boat! :shock: :shock: Unbelievable.

After going to some trouble trying not to get too wet, I managed to get into the boat without going arse up and headed off, rugged up like the Michelan Man. Not to worry, the day promised to be fine and it would warm up soon enough. :D

Some (more) bow shots. :D :oops:

007640x480.jpg

008640x480.jpg

009640x480.jpg

010640x480.jpg

I paddled all over the place and threw just about everything I had at the fiesty little buggers for zip. There were plenty of fish showing on the sounder and they were schooling up around every piece of structure I could find by no takers.

By mid-day, things had warmed up nicely (about 70) so I found a nice spot on the shore and had lunch under some nice old gum trees. 8) and took some layers off.

'nutha bow shot - sorry :oops: :lol:

016640x480.jpg

017640x480.jpg

018640x480.jpg

While I was eating, this bloke came down. Not real sure what he is but he was pretty cool and not at all afraid. (I need a bigger zoom)

024640x480.jpg

While eating lunch, i had a rummage through my tacle boxes and found this

013640x480.jpg

I haven't used top water lures much and this one was just another real cheap Cabelas jobbie I bought just to have a look at. Couple of casts and at least I was hooked. :D I love the way this lure works. Lots of action and noise and and will cast allmost to the next post code. I think it will be deadly on the bass and barra when they decide to bite again. I have never seen a popper walk the dog before, but this one allmost does it all on its own. 8)

Threw it at a heap of lilly pads and such for still no takers and called it a day mid afternoon and headed back to the put in.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

That wuz indeed a fine time of day (sunrize) in a special place. All the fine pichurs jest posted here started my day off good.

many thanks
bearridge

Time is a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician. Anonymous

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day and thanks guys,

When I came back to the put in, there was a group of 4 American tourists having lunch in the little picnic shed in the 2nd piccie.

They came over to say hello and to have a look at my boat, and made comments about how suitable it seems to be for these waters. 8) They seemed real nice and told me they come from somewhere in the mid-west but I forget the name of the place. Imagine their surprise when I told them the boat is American in design and showed them the Jem sticker on the boat.

I gave them one of Matt's business cards and they promised to check out his site when they get home. 8) They also made comments about how empty the place was of people and how such a beautiful lake would be crowded back home - with ques to even car a place to park their car. :shock:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
"O" Great , He tells everyone about Matt and his boat business and forgets to say anything about us..........

DAM..... There is hope for him and I thought he was over the edge a long time ago. :roll:

Mick ...Ya have not lost your sanity and dignity , Hang in there buddy/mate , there is hope for you. That was a smart move on your part , telling them about the lesser of the two evils. :lol:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Actually mate, I did mention this fine site.

From the way they spoke, they are pretty keen paddlers :p

Oh yeah mate, that little spot under the gum trees will make an outstanding campsite from which to just sit and watch the sunset over the water. :D will be talking to the ranger about it soon. :D 8)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
NOW you're talking, mate. Sunsets come at a MUCH more convenient time of day than sunrises. Much more convenient.

Pictures of sunrises do me fine. I like to actually watch sunsets.

Geezerdom has it privileges. GHIP

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
Hey Mick.
What page is that popper on in Cabelas. Or whats it called. I
got some there catalogs but it ain't in there.

Thank's Coogs

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
coogs
Take it easy man . I can guarante Mick just didnt see this, and if you just back channel him he will help you anyway he can.
Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Coogs,

Sorry mate, Sometimes my email notifications work and sometimes they don't. I blame my vista pig for all my pronblems. :oops:

Been looking at the Cabelas site trying to find that popper. I think it is a berkley Frenzie or a Cabelas own brand one. It is definately one of the two but I can't find it.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
My computin' machine come down with the Scapegoat Virus 3-4 years ago. So far they aint found no cure fer it. I always type clear az a bell. When it dont read that way, it iz that virus...........worse than a horny Trojan. :roll:

regards
bearridge

Excuse me for a moment, my B.S. detector is ringing. Anonymous