Lake Ponchartrain skiff | SouthernPaddler.com

Lake Ponchartrain skiff

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
thought we had published some early build pics of this one but couldn't find the thread

anyway here's the finished pics

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3248.jpg

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
thanks guys,

that blue looking stuff inside and outside is Interlux enamel - don't beat me up but this skiff has a *gasp* plywood bottom.

Friend Keith and I have been wanting to learn how to build this style skiff for the last several years and finally were able to hook up with the guy on the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain that builds them. He is a very interesting and talented craftsman. Like most of the old style builders, he's short on written plans and long on "by hand and by eye". He showed up the first day at Keith's shop with a couple of jigs to bend the sides around and a cocktail napkin with intersecting pencil lines. Yep, these two lines are the angle of the cutback for the front of the sides and these other two lines are the angle of the transom. It was a fun build. The most unique feature is the bottom - it's curved upward at the front for rocker but it's also curved from side to side the full length of the boat. I wish i had a video of him showing us how he cuts compound curves in the rib bottoms with that big old antique jointer plane. It was truly poetry in motion or whatever the phrase is.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
seedtick said:
thanks guys,

that blue looking stuff inside and outside is Interlux enamel - don't beat me up but this skiff has a *gasp* plywood bottom.

Friend Keith and I have been wanting to learn how to build this style skiff for the last several years and finally were able to hook up with the guy on the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain that builds them. He is a very interesting and talented craftsman. Like most of the old style builders, he's short on written plans and long on "by hand and by eye". He showed up the first day at Keith's shop with a couple of jigs to bend the sides around and a cocktail napkin with intersecting pencil lines. Yep, these two lines are the angle of the cutback for the front of the sides and these other two lines are the angle of the transom. It was a fun build. The most unique feature is the bottom - it's curved upward at the front for rocker but it's also curved from side to side the full length of the boat. I wish i had a video of him showing us how he cuts compound curves in the rib bottoms with that big old antique jointer plane. It was truly poetry in motion or whatever the phrase is.
Thats funny, folks that just show up around your place with crude plans and demand you build a boat from them. :wink: NIce work, but you must have had that boat hidden away in some corner behind some old stump. :lol:

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
That boat wasn't hidden, it had just been delivered to its new owner in Houston

either fortunately or unfortunately, most of our boats don't hang around the shop very long

that rowing skiff you saw at my house will also be headed for Houston this weekend. We managed to keep it for one show, then this feller called up and said he wanted it more than we did :D

Jack, we just about run out of hidey holes, if you could send us a couple we'd sure appreciate it

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I have some common post holes, about a dozen and a half, that I can fertilize and grow'em into full fledged hidey holes. Gimme a week or so. They are left over from a fencing project here. Hardware sold them only in lots of 25 each.