Laminating Wood Paddles into Double Blade | SouthernPaddler.com

Laminating Wood Paddles into Double Blade

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
I am considering scarf joining two of these Caviness wood paddles together for my double blade paddle. Has anyone done this? Opinions?
12514026662052367.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Remember that when you do the scarf joint you will lose the distance from each paddle as the same distance in the scarf joint. If the paddles layed end to end are the distance you want it will be shorter when the two of them are joined.
One way to correct that is to get another paddle and use it's handle as the joining piece between the two of them or it might be called the extension piece.

Just remember that paddle is needed for it's handle and not the paddle or a long length , the shorter the less in cost from Wally World.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ed, here's something to watch out for. With a kayak paddle, the blades will be laid over on their sides, and the blade will be perpendicular to the water. You want the loom (handle) to be oval, but oval in the opposite direction of that paddle in the picture. You will want the oval to lay flat, or parallel to the water, while the blade will be perpendicular to the water.

Once you have the joint complete, you may want to rework the loom - full length from blade throat to blade throat. I often paddle holding a paddle sticking out to one side rather than evenly. Asymmetrical paddling corrects for windage, current, initiating a small turn, etc.

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
Here are the two paddles I started with

IMG_1477.jpg

Clamped the paddles together and cut the blades to shape on the band saw

IMG_1479.jpg

Here are what the two paddles looked liked when I unclamped them from shaping the blades.

IMG_1480.jpg

Sanded blades, cut scarf joint, glued, fiberglass joint and clamped to dry.

IMG_1481.jpg

Finished sanding paddle and varnished all but the upper blade. Varnished the upper blade, it is darker in the photo because it is wet, and the final drying is taking place. This was my first time to laminate two paddles into one and I am pleased with the result. I want to see how this length works with my style of boat and a high seat. I may make a shorter one later. ET

IMG_1485.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Nice wood working, Ed. Way lots better'n I can do. You may want to rework that loom after a paddle or three, to line up the oval with your hands. Or, you may not.

If you guys ever buy a graphite paddle, take a look at a Werner Callista. I really like mine.

islandpiper

Jack, i left my "stock", i.e., just opposite what you rightfully suggest, as there just is not enough wood to do otherwise in these Feather Brand paddles. But, I do lots of things A$$ backwards, as you know. I guess any paddle beats paddling with your hands, at least where there are sharks or gators. chuck must be sleeping. This should have been in MAKING YOUR OWN PADDLES right from the start. piper

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
My apologies gentlemen. I did not even realize that we had a making your own paddles section. You would think in all this time I would have noticed it. Please move if possible. ET :oops:

islandpiper

Ed, call us GENTLEMEN again and we'll take you off the Rendezvous mailing list. :D :D :D

And, it would be more convincing if you apologized AND bowed at the same time, like that tall fella in the news does whenever he takes AF-1 anyplace over the borders. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work.

Hey, we have a visitor from Texas this weekend from over west of Houston a couple hours. Nice young fellow, good values, hard worker, like a lot of Texans.

piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
islandpiper said:
Jack, i left my "stock", i.e., just opposite what you rightfully suggest, as there just is not enough wood to do otherwise in these Feather Brand paddles.<SNIP>
After you get cramps and blisters, you'll consider gluing on some wood and rasping it to shape. When you do, your thumbs will grin a friendly thanks up to you, and sigh a satisfied, "AAHHHHhhhhhhhhhh! Thanks, Piper San. Mebbe you ain't so bad afterral."

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
"After you get cramps and blisters,..."

If you're getting cramps and blisters you are paddling too far or too hard. :roll: A bad designed paddle will prevent serious problems caused by overworking. :wink: The cramps and blisters act as an early warning system. A well designed paddle will work for those experienced in "not over doing it". For the inexperienced or enthusiastic paddler, stay with regular paddles.:lol:

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
dzenkinrob said:
Hey but these are realy cool. I haven't think about making them by myself but know after this I know that it is possisble and easy actually.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You make the boat why not make the paddles to use with it. If you check other threads you will find a lot of the guys even make there camping gear ........ sleeping items ( hammocks & the rest ) .... stoves and everything else. The only limitation is your ability of thinking about what you want and how to do it.

We do have a lot to offer on here if someone does some digging around in the forum.

Chuck.