latest trip | SouthernPaddler.com

latest trip

islandpiper

OK, before you go on, this isn't a river trip report. If that's all you want dont read this.

In answer to a need in wisconsin to help with a family crises last week it was necessary for me to shut down production here in Louisiana and travel north. For several reasons I decided to take Amtrak instead of flying/renting a car or driving my Mazda 1200 miles and buy motel time and meals. So, I got Amtrak tickets and walked the two blocks from my shop to the station and climbed on the CITY OF NEW ORLEANS, headed north. I got a Roomette, just a small private room with 110 V. power, a great view, very quiet ride, free coffee, toilet ten feet down the hall, shower on the lower level of the car, and a car attendant on duty. First class tickets gave me meals on board at no cost and access to the Metropolitan VIP Lounge in Chicago during a layover.

The food was great. People on trains make eye contact and speak with one another. The crew was helpful and friendly. No one checked my pockets or my bags. In fact, no one touched my bags, I carried them in and put them on the shelf in the lower level of my car and had access to them the whole trip.

The view was great. the ride was a bit rocky, but hey, it's a train. The bedding was clean and fresh and I slept well.

Overall, I traveled on one of America's great overnight trains and a nice bus a total of about 2400 miles and ate six good meals, all for $425......total.

I you haven't ridden a train lately, give it a try.

Cheers, Piper

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
I like trains too. The UK is a small island compared to the US (compared to some States come to that!) but is a good place to do some pretty train trips. If you look into it you can get some steam 'specials' which use old locos for vintage smell and sound.
My personal favorite trip was a tour of the whole of the UK coast by train I did with my brother when we were in our teens - one of my best journeys/ holidays ever just spending time with him. I have also done an overnight trip down the banks of the Nile by train. Fantastic Messerschmitt (sp?) train but Egyptian food (best take your own!).
My folks-in-law are considering a trip on the Canadian Pacific some time. I have seen it from the forest trails in the Rockies and it looks awesome.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That is one trip I haven't done in a while , the last one was in 65 and that was thanks to Unckle Sam. ( I ws a Navy courpsman with the Marines and they never taught us how to spell) I have to admitt it was fun except when I was walking back to our pull-man car from the club car and spilled our drinks stepping between cars. Had to go back and get two more. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
... when I was walking back to our pull-man car from the club car and spilled our drinks stepping between cars.
ALCOHOL ABUSE!! He spilled the drinks!! Shame on you, Chuck!

Reminds me of when we got mortared at Bien Hoa. A guy grabbed his bottle of whiskey & headed for a bunker. A round went off nearby and he fell When he got up his shirt was wet. He was heard to say, "My God! I hope that's blood!"

islandpiper

Just as predicted, I'll be driving down to New Orleans this weekend to pick up the ladies from my house who will be riding the train down just for the fun of it.
amk709.jpg

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ridin' on the City of New Orleans; Illinois Central Monday mornin' rail.
Fifteen cars and fifteen nervous riders, three conductors and twenty-one sacks of mail.
All along the south-bound odyssey; the train pulls out of Kankakee, slidin' past houses, farms, and fields.
Passin' trains that have no names, freight yards full of homeless men; and the graveyards of the rusted out automobiles.

Good MORNING, America - how are you? Say! Don't ya know me I'm your native son!
I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans, and I'll be gone 500 miles for the day is done.

Card games with old men in the club car; penny a point, ain't no one keepin' score.
Pass the paper bag that holds the bottle; feel the steel wheels a rumblin' 'neath the floor.
And sons of Pullman porters, and the sons of engineers, rider their daddies' magic carpet made of steel.
Mothers with their babes asleep, a rocking to the gentle beat; and the rhythm of the rails is all they feel.

Good MORNING, America - how are you? Say! Don't ya know me I'm your native son!
I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans, and I'll be gone 500 miles for the day is done.

Night time on the City of New Orleans; changin' cars in Memphis, Tennessee.
Halfway home and we'll be there by mornin'. Mississippi darkness slidin' down to the sea.
And all the towns and all the people seem, to fade into a bad dream.
And these steel rails still ain't got the news.
Conductors sing their songs again; passengers will please refrain.
Cause - THIS train's got the disapperain' railroad blues.

Good NIGHT, America - how are you? Say! Don't ya know me I'm your native son!