Lazy Day on the Burrum | SouthernPaddler.com

Lazy Day on the Burrum

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G;day guys,

I haven't been posting much in the way of trip reports lately but went for a short paddle this morning. :D

Put in is at Wall's Camp near the small town of Howard and is about half way along the salt section of the Burrum river.

Forecast was for wind - again and showers increasing to rain this afternoon so put in was nice and early, to cloudy skies and no wind.

Headed off down stream for a couple of miles with the last of the falling tide.

bc6248ec.jpg

23bdb76c.jpg

to a sand bar holding a good yabby (Ghost shrimp) bank.

21b8f70a.jpg

db88c8cf.jpg

Got my live bait (yabbies of course) and continued down stream to my "grunter hole" just as the tide was starting to turn. I usually like to drag a couple of lures while travelling but today, I just couldn't be bothered. It was nice enough just being on the water again and I really didn't give a rats if I cought fish or not. anybody else have days like this?

I like to fish my yabbies unweighted. just a hook on the end of the line, cast out and allow to slowly sink while drifting along, it is murder on bream if there are any about. Fairly quickly a small grunter at 32cm came to boat.

f6ff21db.jpg

and shortly afterwards, a small trevor (trevally) and dunga (bream)

1ef418e4.jpg

0304763e.jpg

and another dunga a little later.

I had enough for tea so I just sort of goofed off for a few hours and came home.

Usually, i just use my canoe to travel from sand bar to sand bar and fish from the bank. Today was the first time I think that I actually used her to fish from and I even got some mud and blood on her. 8)

b83668ca.jpg

6f457129.jpg

She is a boat at last. 8) :lol:

f141dcb7.jpg