Lazy day on the lake | SouthernPaddler.com

Lazy day on the lake

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
It was 36* this morning but it promised to be a sunny day. A good day to paddle. Went out on Lake Verret and found a high bank to do a little cooking. I practiced my fire-making skills. I've found that good ole waxed paper makes dandy tinder. Just tear it up into tiny pieces and scrape off some of the magnesium stick onto the pile. Took about 6 or 7 strokes of the knife over the steel part of the stick and I had a fire going.

lake-1.jpg

fire.jpg

Built up the fire and let it burn down to some decent coals and threw the steak on .

mesittting.jpg

steak.jpg

15 or 20 minutes later it's time to eat.

steaklap.jpg

Nothing fancy for toppings , just salt and pepper. MMmmmmmm.

After eating, just sitting back finishing my tea, I hear a nutria back in the swamp about a 150 yards. I gave him a little answer call. A couple of minutes later I hear him again and he's closer. I give him another call. Another couple of minutes and I see him coming my way through the swamp. He had my position pegged. He came right on in the bank not 20 feet from me. If you look at the picture of me sitting, start at my boots and go straight up until you come to the water. That's where he came up.

nutria.jpg

He stayed around there for about 10 minutes preening and cleaning his fur and then went on about his business.

Round trip was about 9.5 miles. It was a good day.

Joey

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
nice pics joey any one would enjoy a day like this. :D thats when the syeak is better in the woods. looks like they ought to be some fish in that lake?

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Booze and airplanes. Let's see. Get yerself a bunch of altitude, Loosen the end of a roll of toilet paper and throw it out the window. Drag on the loose end will cause it to un roll. As it streams down make a tight turn and fly through the streamer followed with another tight turn and make another cut on the streamer. How many times can you cut the ribbon before it hits the ground and at what altitude do you decide to stop. Booze should help in making this critical decision. :shock: :? :?
Bob

P.S. Sorry bout that Joey. :oops:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
catfish said:
nice pics joey any one would enjoy a day like this. :D thats when the syeak is better in the woods. looks like they ought to be some fish in that lake?

There's quite a few catfish in there. I was just lazy and didn't bring my fishing tackle.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
On the way back to the landing, it occured to me that I hadn't used the canoe paddle in a while. I put down the kayak paddle and picked up my hand-carved cypress paddle. I literally took a dozen strokes and remembered clearly why I started using the double paddle. You CAN paddle very straight and on one side and can manuver as well as with the double paddle , BUT every corrective stroke seems to slow the momentum you work so hard to achieve. I'll stick with the double paddle, thank you very much. I've been in 3" inches of swamp water to 2' whitecaps, and haven't found it to be lacking.

Joey

islandpiper

OK you big hot dog.......i've been out in the swamp on overnight/multi night adventures with you three times, THREE TIMES and each time you show up with about of foot of cajun sausage.......

So, here you go, out by your own happy self and YOU BRING A BIG HONKIN' STEAK???

Man........I guess you never really know someone........that's for sure.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Piper, if it makes you feel better, the steak was TERRIBLE! Tough, dry - hardly edible at all. I would never inflict such a meal on a dear friend. Now Cajun sausage, THAT'S the food of the gods. :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
jdupre' said:
Piper, if it makes you feel better, the steak was TERRIBLE! Tough, dry - hardly edible at all. I would never inflict such a meal on a dear friend. Now Cajun sausage, THAT'S the food of the gods. :lol:
Nice wafflin' there Joey. I'll bet that Piper San didn't even see through it. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:

My guess is he packed everything for the trip and at the last minute remembered he needed something to eat while out there in the wilderness. Since the store was out of Vienna's and Crackers he settled for the second best thing.

Chuck