Light Weight 14ft Swampgirl | SouthernPaddler.com

Light Weight 14ft Swampgirl

9digits

Jun 3, 2011
New user but long time reader. I think I've been lurking for 5 or so years.

I'm interested in building a 14ft Swampgirl for fishing the backwaters of Tampa Bay. Mostly spin and bait casting with some fly fishing thrown in. Being able to stand is a big prereq. I stand up and paddle my Hobie revolution alot sightfishing for reds on the flats. The 13.5ft Hobie Revo is 28" across while the 14ft Swampgirl is 30". How stable is the Swampgirl with a beam of 30"? Stable enough to stand and paddle with a SUP paddle and then be able to make a few casts?

I'm interested in building it really light. Is 4mm Okoume lighter than the Lowes/HD 5.2mm Luan? Recommendations on wood for a light build? I'm hoping TXRiverRat chimes in and recommends building it from strips! I'm a little concerned with standing in with the floor being made up of thin wood. I think OldSparkey added a second level of wood to the floor of his.

Also, what weight and type of cloth for an light build? What I'm picturing is the ability to park by the side of the road and be able to carry it to the waters edge through a break in the mangroves. There is alot of great fishing in my area that doesn't offer formal water access. Think renegade paddling :twisted: If you can legally park and reach the water, I's fishing the area.

Appreciate your input!

Paul
Tampa, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I made it out of 1/8th inch wood and glassed the boat inside and out to build it up. The bottom had the 1 inch by 1/8th inch strips added to stop the flexing of the bottom , plus to aid in the looks.

You should be able to stand without a problem since the Swamp Girl is a stable boat but that depends on the individual.

Since you are over on the West side of the state and really have more oyster bars ( the ones in the water ) that might be hitting the bottom of the boat. I would suggest 1/4 inch on the bottom and thinner wood for the upper part of the boat. Plus fiberglass all the way around. Then several coats of the epoxy and graphite mix on the bottom as some insurance against the oyster bars in case you paddle up on one. If you are launching in the Mangroves you will be on some oyster shells , either new or used. :wink:
The thicker bottom will increase the weight a little but not a whole lot.

Chuck....

JEM

oldsparkey said:
I made it out of 1/8th inch wood and glassed the boat inside and out to build it up. The bottom had the 1 inch by 1/8th inch strips added to stop the flexing of the bottom , plus to aid in the looks.

You should be able to stand without a problem since the Swamp Girl is a stable boat but that depends on the individual.

Since you are over on the West side of the state and really have more oyster bars ( the ones in the water ) that might be hitting the bottom of the boat. I would suggest 1/4 inch on the bottom and thinner wood for the upper part of the boat. Plus fiberglass all the way around. Then several coats of the epoxy and graphite mix on the bottom as some insurance against the oyster bars in case you paddle up on one. If you are launching in the Mangroves you will be on some oyster shells , either new or used. :wink:
The thicker bottom will increase the weight a little but not a whole lot.

Chuck....

what he said! :)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Strips
Heck yea , find you some body that sells cedar and start picking up the lightest board you can, you can build a light strong boat that way.
Ron