Low-Tech, Low Budget, Laptop Desk | SouthernPaddler.com

Low-Tech, Low Budget, Laptop Desk

LaptopLapDeskWEB.jpg

Low-Tech, Low Budget, Laptop, Lap Desk

Keith A. Williams
“Bootlegger”

Since my dinosaur of a desktop computer is in the critical stages of a slow death, I found myself in the market for a suitable replacement. After much research and debate, I came home with a brand new 17” HP Laptop, and have been trying to get used to it for about six months now. Aside from my initial problems with Vista not working with several of my programs, I can report that I am pleased with the computer itself, but am still working to get things just the way I want them. Since I am lacking in much more than the basics in computer proficiency, this is a slow process but so far, it works really well with my PowerPoint and Photoshop programs. It even works well with my mapping software once I got a new cable to adapt to the new connection point.
That being said, I was still having a heck of a time trying to use it from the couch or chair. Without a hard surface to sit on, it would not get the proper amount of air flow, and a hard surface wasn’t doing my bad wrist any good. Mouse pads would not stay put, and a book or magazine to rest the mouse on was just a bad idea all the way around (complicated by the really short laptop mouse cable). I had seen several versions of commercially available Laptop desks in stores but none of them appealed to me for one reason or another. Some were too short, too narrow, uncomfortable, or just too expensive to spend on something so simple.
With a bit of ingenuity, I came up with a multi-facetted solution that I am pretty pleased with. First I picked up a cordless mouse that had a USB receiving unit that fits almost flush with the side of the laptop so I can leave it in place and no longer have to remove it after usage. Next, I acquired an aprox. 3/16” thick piece of sheet aluminum. If you shop around diligently, you can find these readily available at little cost. I have even seen them on the shoulder of the highway...
Anyway, back to the project, since I do a lot of photo work on the laptop, I measured enough room around my laptop so that I had plenty of extra room on one side for a mouse to maneuver. When I had previously used the computer on my lap, I had experienced times when I had accidentally bumped a USB or power cable with the side of the chair and had it bend it a little. Since I no longer wanted this to be an issue, I left a little extra room all the way around for extra connectors, as well as the extra card reader to attach without the fear of having it extend farther than the surrounding platform. Satisfied with my measurements, I set forth with jigsaw in hand and cut it out in short order. For comfort, I then used a little commercial spray adhesive to attach a sheet of green foam sleeping mat on both top and bottom of the slab. All three pieces were clamped together for good measure and all in all, and I now have a very satisfactory lap desk that I can slide out of the way when not being used. It even has a custom Olive Drab color and the constant feel of camping equipment so I can still get a little bit of simulated outdoors for times when I’m stuck inside. The whole project only took about fifteen minutes to put together, and most of that time was waiting for the adhesive to dry. The things we do to amuse ourselves…