Maiden Voyage | SouthernPaddler.com

Maiden Voyage

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
We just couldn't wait! It's not done yet, but it was such a nice day today that I took the boys and the boat to a small pond in our neighborhood. There were quite a few people there fishing, and it took a while to get it launched with all the questions about where we got it. There was a fair breeze blowing, but I took each of the three boys out for a ride.

The boat handled well! I thought I might need a keel, but it's easy to control and tracks well without. I'm taking the day off to start glassing the inside. I hope I have enough glass. I may have to cut pieces for each of the side sections, and separate pieces for the bottom sections. Is it ok to do that versus one piece for each section (between the ribs) that covers the sides and the bottom?

Here's a pic of our trip:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283 ... -07015.jpg

VTFogg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Foggy,

Nice mate, very nice. :D

Get used to the questions too. They never end. :D People will walk past a plastic or fibreglass boat and hardly give it a second glance.

Unload a wood one, and they all want to know about it. :D I love it. :D

Have ya kids put in orders for their own boats yet? :D

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
Hi Mick,

The boys are really excited about the boat and want me to hurry up and finish it. I'm already DROOLING over building one of Matt's boats, probably the Muskoka or Gander River. My wife is just sighs when I talk about building the next one and says "what are you going to do with all these boats?"

I'm taking the day off today to keep working on this one. I would really appreciate it if one of you guys could shed some light on glassing the inside using separate pieces for the side. I don't have enough fiberglass cloth to cut sections that span the sides and bottom. Maybe I can find a place locally that carries the cloth.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you have enough to do one section along with the sides then move on to the next section it works really good. Just butt a piece up against a rib and wet it in , later when it is almost set trim the excess with a box cutter and make sure the cut piece is laying down.
Sometimes you need to use a gloved finger to push it back into place.

When you start the process you will see how it is done. Main thing is to take your time doing it.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Foggy,

Mate I agree with Chuck re the off cuts, Also if they are little bits, just overlap them a bit when wetting out. The lumpy bits can be scraped off later with a carbide scraper - easy. :D I use up all my off cuts this way, and what is left over from on boat, I save and use on the next one.

My avitar is a picture of a cut class window. The picture in it is a goanna, lying back with a glass of wine. :D A goanna is a large Aussie lizard a bit like me. :D

here is a bigger piccy :D

IMG_0884Small.jpg

Here is the real deal. This bloke was about 6 feet long and had been raiding somebodies camp. :D
IMG_1118Small.jpg

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
Aaaaaaargh! Glassing the inside is NOT a cake walk. I found that the outside was really quite easy, but the inside is a completely different beast.

My first section was a complete piece laid over the sides and bottom between the middle rib and one end rib. The difficulty is trying to get the bubbles out of the filleted seam. I did the best I could, then put a new blade in my razor knife and sliced along the fillet and each rib. For next section I do not have a large enough piece to do the sides and bottom as one, so I'll avoid the bubbling issue entirely with individual pieces for the sides and bottom.

Here's a picture of the section I just did. It took me an hour and forty minutes and 9 ounces of epoxy (3 batches of 3oz.). I think it came out just fine, and the next section will be better. I've got to improve my skills for the Gander River or Muskoka!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283 ... -07002.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283 ... -07001.jpg

Hey, Mick - that is some nice stained glass, but between those giant lizards and crocodiles I'm surprised folks even go outdoors!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
:lol: :lol: :lol: Gee where did we hear this ..... Aaaaaaargh! Glassing the inside is NOT a cake walk. I found that the outside was really quite easy, but the inside is a completely different beast.

I think almost everyone has said the same thing or words close to it , some can't be printed on here.
I know I hate doing the inside and save it for last. It is time consuming and frustrating to get a good job. But it is worth the effort when it is done. Think of it as a learning experience and go ahead and cuss at us for not saying anything about all the fun it is :roll: , everyone has. :p

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
I will heed the warnings that came before my glassing days Captain!! All prior lessons are duley noted. I will still probably turn the air blue in the garage a couple of times before it's over!

Love the boat Foggy! It looks great and your glass job on the inside does also. That is gonna be a bunch of memories for you and your sons.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
VTFogg said:
My wife is just sighs when I talk about building the next one and says "what are you going to do with all these boats?"

As long as you keep building a different model (or a modified one), tell her each boat has a different use. Because each boat will have a different use.

Of the eight (plastic and wooden) kayaks I have each one has its own uses.
Some go fast and straight. One goes faster. Some carry camping gear. One carries alot. Some are quick and maneuverable. One is more maneuverable.
One I can paddle or peddle or sail. Some are for fishing from. Some are "sit insides" some are "sit on tops". All depends where and how I want to paddle as to what boat I am in.
Even the two white water boats are different enough.

DM
(of course two of them were just to way to good a deal to pass up, which is another reason to have another boat)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My wife is always telling me I have to many boats but like I tell her ... A person can never have to many.

Like Dangermouse , each kayak has a use , the Swamp Girl has its use , the canoe its use , the 4 pirogues , each a different weight and wood have there use. Yes Sir , A person can never have to many boats.

Besides , use a woman's logic like when they purchase a lot of shoes.... Ya Know.......but add a twist to it.... The Honey look at all the money I am saving not buying store made boats , these cost a lot less and they help to save my sanity when I am building one. Besides .. so and so asked me to make one for them.

The one that works for me is ..... When this one is done then I will have to try it for a week or so out paddling and camping.... She is all smiles since she knows I will be gone for a while and the TV remote is hers along with all the goodies in the frig. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
PS. Matt (Jem Watercraft) is smarter then all of us , he turned it into a business so he can have them stacked up in the living room , back yard , garage and anywhere else and get away with it. :D

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Now you guys are on the same page , chuck you took the words out of my mouth. I give you geezers an a . Gota use reverse sicolagy on them . :D

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
Ok, I glassed the other inside section between the middle ribs and end ribs. This time using separate pieces for the sides and bottom. MUCH easier! CCTyer take my advise - do the outside in one piece for the entire boat using a plastic spreader for the first coat and a roller for subsequent coats. Glass the inside with a separate piece for each side section, and each bottom section and leave as little overlap next to the ribs prior to wetting it out as possible. If you do this it is actually quite simple.

Now I just have to glass the end sections between the stem/stern and outer ribs, a couple subsequent coats of epoxy rolled on the inside, install the inwale and spacers and she'll be done.

Unfortunately, I've got to go to work today. :(