Maiden Voyages of Sasquatch 16.5 | SouthernPaddler.com

Maiden Voyages of Sasquatch 16.5

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Just got back from a camping & paddling trip on Lake Lenthall (upper reaches)

Still waiting on some mate ot email me some piccies of my boat in action but she has proved to be all that I was looking for in a tripping canoe and more.

Here is the put in.

051640x480.jpg

Our bush camp at Wongi Waterholes nearby to the put in.

002640x480.jpg

001640x480.jpg

Bunch of blokes who travelled up from Brisbane for the trip

004640x480.jpg

More reprobates,

036640x480.jpg

Some river shots,

015640x480.jpg

021640x480.jpg

Kriss & Toni

041640x480.jpg

Jeff & Val,

038640x480.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Them pichurs (piccies) warm my heart. Good ta see ya back at what ya do best. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Gus: Pretty aint they?
Pea: Well I reckon.
Gus: Let’s chase ‘em........ya want to?
Pea: Shoot us one fer our supper?
Gus: Naw I mean chase ‘em jest for the sport
Pea: Ta run ‘em off?
Gus: Naw ya don’t git the point do ya Pea. I mean ta chase ‘em because before long there won’t be any buffalo left ta chase.
Pea: Them bulls’ll hook ya. You remember ole man Barlow. That buffalo hooked him bad
Gus: Ole man Barlow was a slow thinker..............kinda like somebody else I could name.
Pea: Well he was a slow walker too when that buffalo got through with him. Wonder whatever happened to him?
Gus: He married a fat widow over on the Blanco river and had a passle of kids. Now you might as well have done the same thing yourself since you don’t want to chase buffalo.
Pea: Well I don’t belive I’d want ta chase buffalo even if I was married.
Gus: Did I even mention it.
Pea: Well I like being a bachelor Gus.
Gus: Well that’s good Pea because I’m sure it’s all part of God’s plan.......that you are one.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys, No fish were caught this trip. Seems they have shut right down with all the rain we have been getting.

My main purpose in taking the Sasquatch was to try her out.

I was not dissappointed. She paddles beautifully, was lighter and faster than any of the plastic paddle sit on tops that were there, Some you may be familiar with, prowler 13 & 15 7 Elite, Hobie Quest. Was darn near as fast as a couple of Hobie Adventures and Revolutions (with turbo fins) and way more comfortable than all of them combined and, dare I say it, a better boat from which to fish.

The guys used my boat, pretty much as a floating supply ship, with a 50 can cooler in the bow and would just come on over to get fresh beer when they needed to. :D

This boat is a serious tripping machine, an absolute delight to paddle and she just glides for ever. She might be just a tad slower than south wind in calm conditions but has a more significant wind signaature for punching into the wind. (still very manageable)

With just me, my fishing gear, and big cooler loaded with beer and ice, the boat drew hardly any water at all. Matt puts her load capacity at 650 pounds. I reckon that is probably conservative and think she will carry much more than that safely.

She tracks beautifully and punches through the chops effortlessly with a minimum of fuss and no spray. She is, by a long shot, the best Canadian Style canoe I have ever paddled. I am convinced that as more people build and paddle this boat, it will become one of his most popupar canoes.

039640x480.jpg

031640x480.jpg

008640x480.jpg

006640x480.jpg

027640x480.jpg

033640x480.jpg

047640x480.jpg

044640x480.jpg

026640x480.jpg

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
heya mick man that sure looks nice almost looks like some of our spots . if you talk real nice you might could borrow baldys wolf , he might show you guys how to catch a fish.