MAKO Tandem | SouthernPaddler.com

MAKO Tandem

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Matt sent me part of the plans for this boat, so Monday off to start buying wood .
The T-V will have to make it a while longer and a couple more boats will be put on hold , this one is going to the top off the list.
Specs
19 ft 10 inches
30 inch Max beam
asymmetrical
2 1/2 inch rocker bow
1 1/2 stern
Short decks and a big open cockpit
shooting for 60 lbs max.
I am plenty excited about this boat
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Swampwood
I am going to build it without one and try it, the way the decks are going to be built I could add it any time I want to.
A rudder would limit some of the things I want to do with this boat and they dont work well where I paddle. I am hoping after paddling the duck at 16 ft water line ,which is equal to a 17 or 18 ft boat with very little rocker and seeing 21 ft canoes with no rudder being paddled tandem
that I can get by without one.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Rudders, I'm told, are more useful for holding trim for directional control on open waters in winds or currents. Somewhat useful for turns. On those shallow, rocky rivers you paddle there, it would be in a retracted position much of the time, and catching side winds to cause yaw.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I think you are dead on there Jack. I have paddled with folks that tried to use rudder and they seemed to be more trouble than they were worth on the Brazos. Darrel and I have been playing with heeling and a lot of things for boat control ,two guys that work together should be able to heel this boat and turn her pretty fast.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Went and shopped for wood today and bought enough for the Mako .
The bottom hull will be 1 1/2 inch strips and the decks will be 3/4
Should have a little wood left over ,118.00 worth Of cedar not bad for this big a boat.
Ron

Paddlin'Gator

Feb 2, 2008
Tequesta, FL
Ron,

I have a DeWalt DW735 13 inch thickness planer I have had for over ten years and love it. I haven't built with the stitch and glue system, but using bead and cove with regular strip construction the planer definitely saves a lot of sanding. What type of cedar are you using?

Joe

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I felt soooooo lucky to come in out of the 7 inches of snow we had the other day and walk down to a HUGE basement workshop where my latest project lives.

Hopeing to get to the stitchin' stage by this weekend.

signed:
Covered in snow and sawdust

MoSportsmen

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
"19 here last night and 40 for a high , epoxy doesnt work well like that."
yep not doing much constructively sitting close to the fireplace exept looking up plans for strip canoe's. desitions,desitions.

MM