Maroochy River. | SouthernPaddler.com

Maroochy River.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Maroochy River.

G'day guys, On our recent hollidays, we spent a few days at Robin's Mums place. Of course, we took the kayaks and one day, while Robin and her lovely Mum were off doing girly stuff (shopping again), I opted to go for a paddle in my old stomping ground - Maroochidore, in the heart of our Sunshine Coast.

I grew up here, in gentler times when the whole area known as the sunshine coast was pretty much a collection of small towns along the many fine surf beaches The area stretches from Caloundra in the south to Noosa about 40 miles to the north and housing was modest and consisted of private homes along the waterfront. The life was free and easy and there were NO HIGHRISES. I still remember the outrage at the construction of the first tall pig. I hate these bloody things.

Back to my little story -sorry (bloody hijacking my own thread here :oops: ) and I haven't even posted a piccie yet :oops: :oops:

Where was I? oh yeah, here we go. :D

Drove through the madness that is now Maroochidore to an area called Cotton tree, right on the banks of the mouth of the Maroochy river and actually managed to find a place to park near the put in. :shock: :D Cotton Tree is famed locally for its lovely holliday, caravan park (trailer park?), right on the waters edge and is very popular with geezers in that they can set up here, walk to the water and to the shops without doing battle with the insanity that is our traffic in places like this.

f88c6528.jpg
and was real glad to be on the water and away from all the people. 8)

Plan was to paddle to a small island right in the mouth of the river

fe39e1e0.jpg

and check out the surf on the other side. A classic Queensland winter beach break. 8) I learnt to surf here.

c638c8ae.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Pulled out on a sheltered sand spit behind the island,

a2d45a5a.jpg

and walked to the front of the island to get some piccies of the coastline, and of course, the surf.

Looking South, towards, Alexandra Headland, Mooloolllabah, and Point Cartwright - all pretty much one town now

4befceba.jpg

and north, towards Noosa, still pretty much as it has allways been 8) Mount Coolum to the left and Mudjimba (Old Woman) island to the right. In my younger days, I used to paddle a long board out to Mudjimba for the exceptional and uncrowded reef break there. 8)

0c371a9c.jpg

A light and very coolsouth westerly wind had sprung up while I was here soi paddled back upstream to a more shelted spot for a cuppa and some communist noodles. :p

Maroochidore in the background.

4d16baaa.jpg

31f50353.jpg

Views from my little "day camp"

459bd43a.jpg

ff905c2b.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
After my little repast, I went looking for what was once my favourite little mangrove creek in this area for fishing. It was my favourite because of its very clear water, sandy bottom and pristine mangrove systems lining its banks.

I know it's in there somewhere :shock:

4aea6bf0.jpg

44784d9d.jpg

Thar she be!

9ff1cff5.jpg

As I paddled in, my sense of outrage grew more intense with every stroke

992439c7.jpg

Some basterd has turned my creek into a bloody drain! and then done this to her,

b2ef628b.jpg

Finally, bloody seething by now, I got through all this BS to find this. Ahh, this is better :D

2a6cd0e4.jpg

only to realize that I had to paddle back through that brothel to get out.

cdbe715c.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Couldn't get out of that bloody drain fast enough.

Padled back along the foreshore to my put in

b6f805ba.jpg

Where i found a fellow gexer/paddler heading off to put some crab pots in 8)

76eaea03.jpg

sanity at last. :D

Couldnt get out of the place fast enough.

We came home the following day and came by yet anouther route. on the way, we found another couple of places to paddle and will be re-visiting them soon

Lake Macdonald

7b2dea06.jpg

Cedar lake

c9dec922.jpg

Time for a barby, more wine 8) & a fire in the back yard (Gettin a taste for this stuff) :D

7898a61a.jpg

and a little "poppy" nap with my little dog.

fd27b927.jpg

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
hairymick
Great pictures of absolutely beautiful places. I understand your anger. We have both development and litter, a real shame! Hope you enjoyed the tip anyhow. Thanks for sharing.

beekeeper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Bill,

I read the internet truble ya run inta. Dang! It iz near bout time ta shove off, rite? Mebbe ya jest bum off other folks routers along the way? I hope yer brother comes up with a better plan.

regards
bearridge

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Mick,
I sure do enjoy your trip reports. Stunning scenry. In about the eighth picture from the top is a picture of your beautiful boat pulled up in the shallows. Ripples in the sand between you and your boat with high raises in the background. What kind of critter made that crater between you and the boat? Would be very interested in knowing.
Bob

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Wannabe said:
Mick,
I sure do enjoy your trip reports. Stunning scenry. In about the eighth picture from the top is a picture of your beautiful boat pulled up in the shallows. Ripples in the sand between you and your boat with high raises in the background. What kind of critter made that crater between you and the boat? Would be very interested in knowing.
Bob

G'day Bob,

That sand bank is part of a yabby (ghost shrimp) bank. they live in burrows in the sand and as the banks are covered by the tide, stingrays move in and sit on the bottom and use their body as a sort of diaphram pump to suck the critters out of their holes. The craters are what is left after they have finished. :D

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Oops! I see where Bob already asked about the crater and got an answer. Sorry!

Thanks for your posts, Mick. Your photos are always spectacular. Gotta see your country someday.

George