Mathew | SouthernPaddler.com

Mathew

NWDad

Oct 4, 2015
Hope everyone is doing well. I know that several of my friends and family are in the evacuation zones for Mathew. For any of you who are in his path stay safe and praying for you.

Kevin

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Folks are going nut's and are about as krazy and running around as a cat in a nursing home with a room full of rockers.
The grocery store parking lots are full all the time and the gas stations are the same. There are vehicles backed up in lines that extend out into the roadway.

As far as anyone not preparing for a hurricane since this is the Hurricane season. Only thing I can figure is that we have a bunch of new folks down here over the last 10 ( Hurricane Free years ) years. They never had to go threw one or prepare for it.

Being prepared is easy plus it does not hurt by liking to camp since when the power goes out it is camping , but at home.
Battery powered lights , Fans , camp stoves , gas grills , coolers with ice while it lasts and even some folks have generators for auxiliary power.

I'm set and will stay here , the oldest daughter invited us over to her place on the west coast but we are ready and decided to hunker down and ride it out. Heck I got out a couple of the the alcohol stoves and a gallon of denatured alcohol , even cleaned the grill. I hope I will not need all of the denatured alcohol and what is left over will be used camping.
Even have some of the good ( bottled and bond ) stuff for us . Darn I even cleaned out the peculator coffee pot and what else would a person need. If anything that should keep the power on since we are ready for it to fail. :lol:

The Governor has ordered a mandatory evacuation for along the East side of the state by the Atlantic Ocean. They are saying the waves might get to 20 feet and if they do it would not be good news , No Sir , Not good at all.

If you want to watch it .
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... ne-Matthew

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Don't know if I will get this posted since the lights are going off and on a and off and on and off and on since 4:30 P.M.
Lots of power outages over at the coast from what the guys on the radio are saying.

Orange county has a curfew from now till 8 A.M. Sat and here in Seminole County a curfew till 8 P.M. Saturday.
Rain bands moving threw at this time and the Hurricane is going to be directly east of me at the cape around 7 A.M. Friday and up at Jacksonville around 7 P.M. same day , unless it changes it's mind. :roll:
We should start getting the stronger stuff around midnight about 2 1/2 hours from now.

The way the power is acting they are saying it might be days to get it back after the Hurricane moves on up the coast.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Yea. Chuck its. Allitte rough here in jesup Ga tonight. Power is out have one generator going for. The fridge fan and light. Got a rifle shotgun and a country boy can survive :D :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Made it through , just one more in my life that I have gone threw. This was not the worst one by any stretch of the imagination.
The clean up started today and with some luck we will have everything back in shape and cleaned in a day or two. Ha ,Ha ,Ha , that even includes mowing the lawn.

Took a quick look see around the area and you will never guess this but all the holding ponds , drainage areas , ditches and the rest are full of water. :roll: :lol: Yep , somewhere between 7 to 10 inches came down.
Guess you could say , Mathew was all wet. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bob.....

We were smart and had the trees that would of caused a problem removed quite a while back. We missed one and that was the China Berry. Mathew managed to do a good trimming job on it for us. Looks like I will have the tree guys out to remove the rest after they finish with the ones that really need there tree trimming and removal expertise.

Quite a few homes had trees come down on them but none of the houses in the immediate area. Everyone around here had minor stuff like some small branches and a lot of palm fronds, what I like to call yard trash.

I took the canoe down and put it out back by the chain link fence , It has a thick hedge on the outside and the wife's utility shed inside so the canoe was between the two for protection. Just like the trip on the Brazos River the rain put more then a few inches of water in it like on the trip when that storm hit us. This time the canoe was almost full and there was no way any wind hitting it was going to move it. Most of the morning was bailing out the canoe and then putting it on a couple of saw horses and cleaning it. What really took some time was locating good 1/4 inch nylon rope to rehang it in the carport. It took some running around but I found it , new hangers and finally have it back where I like to have it , over the Jeep.
I probably could of gotten things done sooner if it was not for the wife having me doing odd jobs in between my canoe cleaning.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Chuck,
When I was a kid my Dad had a Lone Star aluminum boat and when a storm was going to come in we would take the boat off the trailer and fill it with water. After the storm the boat would be where we left it. Pull the plug, drain the water and put it back on the trailer. It also stayed put for Hurricane Carla.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bob.....

Yep , that is a good way to make sure you have some extra water and to keep the boat from blowing away.
:lol: I did not need to fill the canoe , the storm did that for me.

I did take a 55 gallon round , plastic , Trash can and put a yard trash bag in it and fill it with water from the hose. Just to have some extra water here for the house and even for flushing the toilet if that would of been needed and the main water was down.

The last Hurricane's , 10 years ago , ( Charlie and two others in a row ) I filled two garbage cans and set out the Pirogue which filled up from the storm. Was really happy I did that since we were without power for several days. three Hurricanes ,one right after the other does put a cramp on everyday living.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
Three in a row is adding insult to injury.
Bob

I agree but there was a silver lining to all those dark clouds.......After they passed threw and left so did a lot of the snow birds that decided to move down here. :lol:

Then we went for years without any storms and even more moved back in then moved out.
Some days , you get the Bear and some days the Bear gets you , lately the Bear is way ahead on the score board. :roll:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
All ok here. Alto of trees and power lines down. Some homes damaged thankful. It didn't.t come in closer. Just got power. On tonight

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Catfish........

I trust you had plenty of gas to keep the generator going till you got your power back. Glad you made it OK , now when the water goes down and gets back to normal it should be time to go fishing. The change in the weather is great.......

The weather down here is cooling , 66 in the morning and 79 to 80 during the day so you should have it even better in your area. If that cool front would of been here a week earlier it could of chased the hurricane out in the Atlantic and all we might of had was some simple rains.

Chuck.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
If we get another bad storm and loose electricity for almost a month like we did the last time, I am ready. I may not be able to get gas for the gen. but I will make it. I have a water filtration system that will produce min. of 15 gal of water, even if I have to use Bay water a day. I have a three burner Butterfly kerosene stove with an oven, a 20 something thousand BTU kerosene stove to boil many gal. of water or melt lead on. Freezers of wild pig, deer, .99cent per lb. ham, and veggies to eat like kings for a week, neighbors included. After that we have air rifles and pellets to keep us in dove, squirrels, and armadillos for as long as needed. Haven't even talked about fishing. I live a block and a half from the Trinity River and on the other side of it is Trinity Bay. Life is Good. Don't want to do any of that cause I do like my Air Conditioning. Just Saying.
Bob
PS. The Wife has many a can of powdered eggs, powdered milk, vacuumed packed cornmeal and flour so she can have Her cornbread. Cannot be put in a situation where you cannot have cornbread.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'd probably be a bit cautious about that nomenclature. Most of those grow wacky weed. You, on the other hand, grow okra. (And, if truth be known, I'd not be surprised if you don't have a gree-itz weed and a vie-ennysnausage weed or two lurking about.)

Come to think of it, growing wacky weed might be a step up! ;-)