Matt's Fall/Winter project | SouthernPaddler.com

Matt's Fall/Winter project

JEM

Started my fall/winter project.

I'll try and keep up the progress here.

What I have so far:

In between working on various plans, I've been thinking of my "ideal" boat for the majority of paddling I do.

Here's my program requirements.

-Solo tripper or a tandem for short day paddles. That means 17' long with a strong tumblehome in the middle but not on the ends. (And I came up with a neat way to do the tumblehome so it's easy to build).

-Performance like a Sea Wind (Zepherus) but a little more stable since
when tandem, it'll mostly be with my 10 year old son for fishing. That means 30" max beam and an open deck. Narrow beam for efficient paddling and I've devised a stabilizer system for when we get to our fishing spot. Goal is to be able to stand or at least sit at gunnel height comfortably with stabilizers deployed.

-Want to minimize hard chines but not have lots of panels to deal with. So this hull has 8 panels total with 2 smaller pieces for the tumblehome.

-Minimize windage so the stern is lower than the bow. I plan on making some covers for paddling solo on windy days to reduce the wind effect.

-Since these plans will go on my site eventually, simple build is important. The bottom 3 panels per side are symmetrical while the top panel provides for the unique tumblehome and different height at the bow/stern.

-I eventually want to rig for sailing but that will come later.

-Just ordered my plywood from Harbor Sales (http://www.harborsales.net). $176 for 4 sheets of BS1088 Okoume delivered!

That's a tough price to beat.

JEM

Sample images:

Line drawing

Langenfeld1.JPG

To see the how the tumblehome panels work, I've colored them. Boat obviously won't be painted like this.

Langenfeld2.JPG

It looks real bizarre in these snap shots but it looks a lot better in my design software and should look good in wood.

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
Matt, When you get the plans done put me down for a set... it looks like my kind of boat. My main boat now is a 16ft 1in Swift Shearwater and is the best canoe I have ever paddled, but I think this might be just what I have been looking for.
Jim

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
LOL, don't encourage him Jack!I'm so worked up about this one I'm looking around for stuff to sell so I can get to building again!! Cut up two pieces of 1/4 exterior for a critter cage today and found myself looking at this plywood thinking about what I could build that would float! I may need therapy :shock:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Sorry, Rat. Didn't mean to stir the pot inappropriately. By all means use that plywood for something good.

All the technology in our boats is hidden in the background. The plywood and the glue, and, I guess, the computer generated plans that are back there a few steps. That's why our boats look so simple; the technology is all hidden inside and behind.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Matt,

My thoughts on this are - how about strippers? They have wood to wood contact all over the place. I've never seen one assemgled with spacers of any kind. My four sticth and glue boats have wood to wood contact all over too.

I just don't get the concept. We glue reinforcing blocks directly wood to wood. Why does there need to be a gap only in one applicaiton, along the seams?

JEM

"Hard spots" or wood on wood contact are not such a big deal in paddle boat but are critical in power boats.

The epoxy with filler better absorbs and distributes loads evenly.

Why I like doing it with stitch and glue is that is perfectly aligns the panels in relation to each other.

JEM

You know it's hard to get meaningful pictures of a 17' when your build space is only 18' long! :shock:

Gotta do some clean up to make more room.

Anyway, here's some progress pics.

Hull1.jpg

This 1st shows the legs/risers I'm putting on each frame so when I flip it over, it'll act like it's own work stand and assembly jig.

Hull2.jpg

Here's a good one to show the hull shape. It's a shallow arch. Won't be a super-speed demon but should handle some moderately choppy water well and feel nice and stable on calm days.

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
I agree with you Kayak, I am sitting here with my belly stiched together and all I can think of is I need to cut the wood for the seat for my piroque. That and I wonder when it is going to warm up so I can finish the epoxy work on the boat itself. I guess I must be hinfected is there an injection for termites?
Jim