Messed up day dont always end bad | SouthernPaddler.com

Messed up day dont always end bad

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
We had planned to go fishing Sunday morning on the Brazos,Darrel Glen and myself.
It just started off messed up. Darrel had a emergency and couldn't go that morning ,Glenn had
kiddo things that came up,And I was just wore out from finishing a job I was working on.
To make a long story short it was 5 o'clock before we headed for the river,we launched and just took it easy going up stream,casting for bass,no luck and man it was hot,we fished up a couple miles then started setting out our rods for whatever would bite.
Glenn picked up a Gasper,ahhhh gar bait,. Then I had one of those minutes that keep you fishing
I was fishing a shallow swift area and got a hard hit,let it run for a minute and then hit him hard
the fight was on,whatever it was had a mind of its on ,I couldn't turn him,he just went where he wanted to,I had 65 lb braid on ,cranked the drag down ,thought I was going swimming,but he just keep fighting,got in some rocks bam the line was cut.
It wasn't a big gator gar,never rolled or jumped,it moved to fast for a big turtle,my guess was a big blue,and I mean big. Last year I caught a 42 lb yellow on a rod and reel and this fish made that ones fight look like a flyweight .
Maybe next time.
Later as the sun was going down I caught this

IM002370.jpg

nice channel and dang he had some pretty coloration.
Paddled back in loaded up and called it a day .so it ended pretty nice.
Ron