Michigan's Au Sable - Cathedral of the Great Outdoors | SouthernPaddler.com

Michigan's Au Sable - Cathedral of the Great Outdoors

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
In the Cathedral of the Great Outdoors

Some folks find comfort in various places. High, mountain passes, desert vistas, sea scapes, forests, lakes, rivers, deep swamps, etc. call to us in their own, individual ways. We respond in our own, individual ways. I like the North Woods. As a kid, I roamed the woods, fields, and streams of southern Michigan farm country. As a geezer, I paddle upper Michigan and Canada. Last week, I had the privilege to share a premier river - Michigan’s Au Sable River - with other outdoorsmen. Others will tell their own stories; here’s mine.

I’m paddling the Katie Bug, a canoe I built for my Granddaughter Kayla and me. As I age out of it, she’ll age into it. I will attach a dedication page to the inside of the boat. Here it is:

the Katie Bug

This craft was built in East Lansing MI in 2002 & 03, by a loving Grandpa (Jack Voss, "Poppa") for a bright eyed, intelligent Granddaughter (Kayla Elisabeth Duby, "Katie").

Katie, may you enjoy using this boat while paddling in the outback, traveling far waters, camping on distant shores, seeing, listening, and learning with Mother Nature. I urge you to observe the stars and galaxies; to watch animals as they live; and to learn about plants. The outdoors is the best place in the world. Make it part of you and your Life.

Seek and earn friends. Learn whom to trust and for what they may and may not be trusted - and whom to not trust. Observe the works of man, and seek to understand them for yourself. Observe the creations of God, and seek to understand them within yourself. Know yourself, and to your own self be true.

I present you with this vessel and with my love for you.
Your loving Poppa.

Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS

We gathered, one by one, at Bud Hart’s cottage northeasterly of Grayling Michigan. It’s at the end of a two-track dirt trail, near the Au Sable River - about 50 feet this side of heaven. It was Saturday afternoon, 20 May 06. Participants here include, Bud Hart, a retired college instructor. Jim Pifer of Eaton Rapids MI. Al Dasen (Dapper Al) an experienced paddler and grinner at tall tales. Duane Niemi (Drano) a pretty darned good paddler and avid fisherman. Gerry Morin (Bear’s Buddy) a civil servant out of Bay City MI with a positive CAN DO attitude. Al Wells, a high school buddy who graduated with me fifty years ago - an experienced hunter and camper about to learn about paddling his own boat. Jack Voss (Kayak Jack) a reprobate and a clumsy paddler. On Monday evening, and until Wednesday morning, we were joined by Greg Shannon and his 13 year old son Marcus and dog Amy. Greg is an MD and experienced paddler and camper, just as he’s teaching Marcus to be. Amy is a bright, intelligent Hungarian Weimaraner. (Not TOO bright though - I could beat her at checkers three out of five games.)

Each of us fixed our supper at Bud’s, and sacked out upstairs that night. Sunday morning, we went to town for a store-bought breakfast at Denny’s and met Tom Brooks, the man who would do our vehicle shuttle. He joined us for breakfast, and we got acquainted with him. Interestingly enough, we have some mutual friends. Tom is an experienced paddler and camper too. After breakfast we went to Penrod’s Canoe Livery ( 888.GO RIVER [email protected] ) and loaded boats, bought souvenirs, rented a kayak for Al Wells, and talked with Jim Humes, the owner. He and Tom Brooks are two, great guys to do business with. We can trust them.

We launched about 11:30 for a leisurely three hour paddle to Burton’s Landing (N44̊ 39.829' W84̊ 38.858'). It sleeted small snow pellets into our boats! What started as a mist, then a patter of rain, turned into snow! It was about 26 that night in camp, and I was colder than I’ve ever been sleeping in camp. Jim Pifer reported that he was cold too.

Monday was a bit cloudy, but cleared. The group got on the water about 09:35. We started seeing wildlife. My list for the trip includes: four mink, three muskrats, two deer, 5-7 bald eagles, 2-3 osprey, hawks, countless Canadian geese with goslings, as many ducks with ducklings - one momma duck paraded through camp with family in tow, belted kingfishers, blue jays, tiger swallowtail butterflies, sea gulls, one beaver, crows, fox squirrels, and a red squirrel or two. There was beaver activity all along the river bank. Trees partially chewed through, many stumps, and beaver lodges all along the river. We got to White Pine Camp Ground (N44̊ 39.347' W84̊ 28.450') about 3:00. Set up camp, take a practice nap, eat some supper, tell tales, watch Dapper Al disappear to bed about 8:00 pm. By nine, we all were sacked out. It was chilly tonight too, but maybe two degrees warmer than last night.

Tuesday 23 May 06 was a gorgeous day. Bright and sunny. The crew got up early, and was on the river before 9:00. We’re in “Quality Fishing Watersâ€Â

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Welcome back Jack! We missed ya. Sounds like a nice trip and glad you had a good time. Very nice dedication. Bear is glad your home. Until you got back, he was the biggest BS'er on the forum. :wink:
PS: Screw snow. :(

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldyaker said:
Bear is glad your home. Until you got back, he was the biggest BS'er on the forum.
Friend oldyaker,

I jest called fer a exorcist. That had ta be Swampy still in control of yer mind.....jest like he done ta the High Sheriff when he made him set that habanero sauce on the table. Swampy seems harmless, funny 'n a first rate java man, but danged it he aint a mind boggler too.......az well az a natty dresser. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

P.S. I got a discount exorcist. Aye Laddie.....he comes wearin' a kilt 'n blowin' the bagpipes.

There has never yet been a man in our history who led a life of ease whose name is worth remembering. Theodore Roosevelt

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Thanks, Mick. I just tucked the little squirt into bed & sang her to sleep: City of New Orleans, Chattanooga Choo Choo, Ballad of the Fox. She ages me and keeps me young all at the same time.

I plan another trip to Lake Mijinemungshing starting on Saturday after Labor Day. Raw, Canadian Shield country. Bullhead, come along if you can. Others, join us?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

Sounds like you guy's had a good time but paddling is always fun when Al is along. Did you find out where he keeps his iron and ironing board, I have tried to spot it on trips but have never managed to locate it. :lol:

It is a shame I missed it but I was thinking you guy's were going to get some rain and did not need an extra amount, now paddling in snow would be something new to me and exciting. Missing the 26 degree weather suited me just fine, that is to cold for paddling and camping, anyway for this southern boy.

Thinking about it .. it might be fun to wake up and shake the ice off the hammock ... if I could force myself out of the sleeping bag which would be very unlikely till summer arrived. :roll:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister High Sheriff,

I reckon yer memory aint the same after Swampy took over yer thinkin', but we did have ta knock the ice off our tents the last trip down the St. Mary.

Ever seen a pichur of Rasputin....that fella who took over the King of Russia 'n hiz folks? I think he wore a fur hat jest like the one Swampy wears. Mebbe Swampy iz a third cousin, twice removed?

I reckon if ya kin take over a king, makin' you 'n oldyaker try ta assassinate me with habanero sauce aint nuthin' at all? He mite a done it on the Edisto trip.....while he wuz wearin' that space suit.

Hmmm.....he mite be part Rasputin 'n part alien....after that time he wuz abducted? Did he sleep in a pod on the Edisto? Did he behave kinda "funny"? Did he pull out a watch 'n git ya'll ta watch it real careful?

Wonder what all he puts in hiz java?

regards
bearridge
bodine detective agency

Boss Paul: That ditch is Boss Keene's ditch. And I told him that dirt in it's your dirt. What's your dirt doin' in his ditch?
Luke: I don't know, Boss.
Boss Paul: You better get in there and get it out, boy.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Mister High Sheriff,

I reckon yer memory aint the same after Swampy took over yer thinkin', but we did have ta knock the ice off our tents the last trip down the St. Mary.

Psssssssst... Bear... Over here.

Don't tell Jack but I do remember that trip and then there was the trip thru the Okefenokee where we started the paddle with 12 miles in the rain from Kingfisher landing to Maul Hammock and then it turned cold.

There was ice on the chickee and it was 27 in the morning with everything frozen over. The rain water in the boats was a solid chunk of ice, just flip the boat, whack the bottom with your hand and all the solid water fell out of it ... no need for a sponge to soak anything up. :lol: Nice thing about that was the ice in the coolers lasted for the rest of the trip which was 5 days.
By the way there are NO Stores in that swamp to pick anything up at , their is nothing there but swamp.

There were a couple more trips like that and one to the Smokies when it snowed but I was just camping / hiking not paddling on that trip.

I'm just trying to make Jack feel like a north woodsman and let him think all of us down here only paddle in good (decent) weather and not in that cold stuff. So just keep this info to yourself and don't let Jack know.....Ya know just between us. :wink:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
O King of Deviousness,

If you 'n Kayak Jack ever went on a expedishun together, it would likely end up like the Donner Party. Afterwards everbody pointin' fingers over who ate who.....'n who ate habenero sauce by mistake. :lol:

regards
bearridge
sideways bound

It aint what ya dont know that hurts ya. What really puts a hurtin’ on ya iz what ya knows fer sho, that jest aint so. Uncle Remus

adminold

Aug 24, 2003
Toronto Canada
www.neilbank.com
Kayak Jack said:
Lesse, broiled Chucky w/ habanerro salsa? Sounds tasty to me!

I'm sure you have already had that...... It is called a .... CCR or ........CAJUN (Spicy) CHUCK ROAST and is it quite good. There should be a lot of gravy (because the meat is fatty :oops: ) for dipping some bread in and that makes it all the better.

Chuckles

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I'm sure you have already had that...... It is called a .... CCR or ........CAJUN (Spicy) CHUCK ROAST and is it quite good. There should be a lot of gravy (because the meat is fatty ) for dipping some bread in and that makes it all the better.

STOP IT CHUCK, :lol: You're torturing me now,

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
STOP IT CHUCK, :lol: You're torturing me now,
Friend Mick,

Torture iz hiz middle name. :? :? :?

regards
bearridge

I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. James Madison

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Great report on the civilized river and its many stops along the way! :shock:

Stopping for a burger??? :p

Searching for a resturant??? :roll:

Ice cream at 30 degrees???? :oops:

But I do believe the part where Dapper Al went to bed at 8 ... he stayed up late that night ... :wink:

Howe come ya didn't fish too ... and Al ! what happened there??? All that trout and no fishing cept a few ....
swampy
Had Yak been along I'd understand .. all his butcher's finest along also ... who fishes then? Who goes to town then ? no one ...