Middle creek | SouthernPaddler.com

Middle creek

dawallace45

Thought I'd give posting a pic a go , hope it works out , if it does this is a picture of Middle Creek near the mouth , this area is north of 1770 and is quite lovely and not visited by a lot of people due to the need for a 4x4 to access it
David

dawallace45

A

Anonymous

pic

MiddleCreek2.jpg

here is your pic David.

ya just have to stop at the "jpg' and don't use the numbers.so it will look like this without the spaces.

[im g]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/dawallace45/MiddleCreek2.jpg[/ img]

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Dave,

You are torturing me mate. :D

Guys, Just so you know, Eurimbula Creek is a Declared Fish Habitat Reserve. All forms of Commercial fishing are prohibited within the creek and as such, some of the best recreational fishing to be had anywhere in Queensland can be had here. :D

There are very strong tidal flows in Middle Creek and Eurimbula with up to, I think, around 5 metre (16 feet) tides.

Dave, A pirogue would be superb in Eurimbula. Particularly in the upper reaches. :D

dawallace45

Mick

That is a creek that I've long wanted to paddle but have had trouble finding some one who wants to paddle it too , with that tide variation it's a paddle with the tide proposition only , just too hard to paddle against it but a flat bottom canoe or pirogue you can get through all the shallow areas , need some thing light too as there is a good likely hood of being stranded by the tide when it goes out and dragging a heavy canoe through mud and sand just isn't fun any more

Eurimbula Creek is also a better place to camp , Middle creek is very limited for places to camp

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Dave,

Early Spring would be a very good time. It gets very hot in behind the sand hills at Eurimbula Camp Ground in Summer. There is a much better camping proposition on the north shore. I am not sure if it is allowed though.

I would be very keen for a paddle & camp there with you mate.

dawallace45

Mick

Sounds good to me , probably take me that long to get back into proper paddling condition any way , before I moved down from Clermont I managed to do rotocuff damage to both shoulders , probably due to over use with paddling and shooting a 70 lb bow , the right shoulder has come good and the left one was getting better when I went and did some more damage to it and set it back worse than it was before , it's getting better but I need to get serious with it and start doing some exercises to help it heal , have only been able to use a single paddle since the original injury , will be back to a double by early spring

Last time I was there at Eurimbula there were some camp sites that were only 20 metres from the beach and had a nice sea breeze blowing through , tended to keep the sandflies away pretty well , at that time only one camp site was being used and it was in the middle of school holidays , very strange

Middle creek is Sandfly heaven unless you camp up on top of the hill but then you are a fair way away from your boats or canoes and there isn't a lot of room to turn around up there with a trailer on , but it's a very pretty area , and miles and miles of creek to paddle , all the way through to Pancake creek which people tend to describe as a little slice of heaven , haven't been to Pancake creek yet but it's on my list of must do things when the house is finished , we were intending to move the bulk of our stuff from the shed to the house today but it's pissing down rain so not sure if I'll be sleeping in the new house tonight or not

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Dave,

I haven't camped at Middle Creek or travelled all the way through to Pancake. It would be a great trip. properly timed, would be tidal asisted all the way.

I have often camped at the Pancake end though and it is as described. i have fished and spear fished the place and there is a lot of coral reef just inside and outsde the creek mouth with plenty of serious tiger sharks in residence.

The Camping beaches can only be described as fabulous. Sandy beaches between rocky outcrops, plenty of shade and clean fresh water is available from a small spring under the headland. it is a favourite extreme weather anchorage for the cruising yacht mob and camping spot for the stink boat mob who launch from Turkey Beach.

dawallace45

Mick

That sounds like the trip to do , don't know how far it is through from Middle creek to pancake but may not be able to do it in a day , will have to get some maps out and check , be a good trip to allow a few days each way , because for sure we would want to explore a few side creeks and such and of course there would be fishing on the way , what is pancake like for hammock camping ?

Swimming with tiger sharks ? you can have that all to your self , Tiger sharks scare the hell out of me , I remember years ago when a mate brought around his new plastic kayak that he's just had out for it's first paddle to show me the teeth imbedded in the hull where a 8 ft tiger shark tried to take a bite out of it , he hadn't been fishing , there was nothing to attract the shark but it just come along and chomped his kayak and shook it like a dog for a few seconds and then swam off , had them try and eat the outboard when fishing off shore a time or two , those bloody things just seem crazy

David