Mijinemungshing Ontario - Sep 06 | SouthernPaddler.com

Mijinemungshing Ontario - Sep 06

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Sat 9 Sep: Departed home 06:00. Arrived Miji 16:00. Launched from the dock at 17:00. Arrived camp 17:49. We selected a site on an island at N47 41.164 W84 41.741 Elev 1,287'. The landing is not as nice as on two nearby camps where there is beach, but they were occupied. This is home.

A couple of years ago, I arbitrarily numbered all sites in the area; this is Camp# 21. Pasta & pesto (some of my homemade pesto) for supper. Lots of garlic - what else? Later, single malt and a cigar while the loons called out to locate each other, and swam by.

Sun 10 Sep: Departed camp at a dawn-busting 10:45, Paddled N’ly along E’ly coast (right hand side traveling in a counter-clockwise rotation around the lake). Entered North-easterly arm of Miji & meandered along S’ly (right hand side as we were progressing) coast to the outlet of Miji.

Charlie walked a few feet to the water fall. The next lake is about 121' lower than where we are now. But, it is in several stages over a half mile - VERY rocky here. Granite, gneiss, quartz - all Igneous rocks form volcanic action. Many of the rocks here still have striations from passing of the glaciers over 10,000 years ago. (I still remember them.)

Returned along the N’ly shore (again, right hand side) to entrance to the main body of the lake, then straight home. We arrived at 18:00,

Mon 11 Sep: Up @ 07:10. Watched sunrise, loons, red-headed ducks, beaver, fish jumping. We’re having exceptionally good weather. Cold our first night, but enjoyable days of low humidity. Interesting, because about 150 miles SSE’ly of us there are small craft warnings.

Pancakes for breakfast. Launched at 11:55 & paddle around our island; then S’ly up channel toward Lake Mirimoki. Water levels are too low. We can see high-water marks about 1 ½' above present levels on all the rocks. This channel is muddy and shallow, and gets more of each as we continue to paddle southerly.

We sited a black bear (N47 40.731 W84 41.61 Elev 1,303') @ less than 55' away. Saw it again when we were coming back down the channel. Returned 14:05.

Another bear! NE’ly of camp across the bay, on N’ly shore. About 17:00.

We’ve been observing a weird phenomenon every evening. At about 15 degrees True, elevated about 10 degrees above the horizon, is a flashing “starâ€Â

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Truthful Jack,

Good tale. I had plum forgot that folks paddle 'n camp without a hoodoochie....but I reckon yer gwine ta find out why I think that way in a few months. :wink:

regards
bearridge

My wife is such a bad cook, in my house we pray after the meal. Rodney Dangerfield

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

Ya almost had me talked into paddling that lake with you till you said that word, shame on you, this is a family forum and profanity is NOT ALLOWED on here. I thought you knew that rule.

Nut's since you said it several times I will only say it one time.......... PORTAGE.

Now you said nothing about any Rain, You are saying you managed a paddling trip without a single drop of water falling on you guy's, That is impossible. :?
Camping is just not camping unless you have some rain coming down on the hammock or tent as you sleep.

It sounds like a nice trip ... except for the thing about carrying your boats (they are supposed to carry you) and NO RAIN. Darn I will bet you even forgot the grits. :roll:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
You may want to re-read this tome of magnificence. I said CHARLIE portaged his boat; Jackie carried gear. When we got to the next lake, I rode around in the back of his Sea Wind (a Kruger craft) like a tail gunner.

For my part, I paddle to a portage trail, leave the boat behind, and hike the trail. Usually, along the way, I'm making observations about the lunacy of people who voluntarily lug boats & gear over these collected impediments of rocks, roots, ridges, rills, & runs the Canucks laughingly call portage trails.

You've heard of Montezuma's revenge? Well, the portage trails are the Canadian version of that same concept. First off, they hide the "PORTAGE" signs up in the woods way back of the starting point. Not prominently posted where a paddler can see it from across the lake, they are normally about 40'-60' back on the shore, probably worried about high tides n such I guess. Then, they arrange the foliage so the sign is visible from a specific patch on the lake, usually only about 3 square feet in size.

This spot, is normally located in: 1. A weed bed in which no self-respecting paddler would go. 2. A shallow, muddy bank where you have to ram the boat up into the goo, and then have several buddies toss a rope and pull you back out. Or, 3. Not on the lake at all, but on well sharpened rocks 20' off the water. So, locating the portage trail in the first place is akin to San Fernando sailing around the world the first time - or whatever her name was.

Only one time in Canadian history, was a portage sign placed so it was visible from over 10 feet away. Next year it was moved, and the site was dedicated in memoriam of some minor bureaucratic semi-qualified administrative official. Either that, or it was in memory of the hapless college student in the summer of the Bureau of Natural resources who erroneously placed the sign almost correctly in the first place.

Once the location of the trail is well camouflaged, they then haul in broken rocks, tree stumps, and other stuff known only to the construction trade. Often the route is circuitous - meaning that it does not go directly to its end. rather, it winds around the countryside like a tourist gal's route on a shopping trip.

But - when you DO get to the end of a few portages, only serious paddlers are there. Some of them are slightly deranged by that time, but a week in the wilderness usually corrects that.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Charlie Parmelee, my paddling partner on this expedition, has a $2,500 camera outfit. If it makes it back, yes there will be pictures. Otherwise, only my memories that I can hold up to the light and look at.

Eichhornia

Sep 22, 2006
Florida
Volcanic activity in Ontario?

Is there any truth to garlic keeping away mosquitoes?

Javier just stole a GPS from his brother. I think our camp-free lifestyle may be ending. I'm going to blame Chuck for that.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
The Canadian Shield underlies the entire area from Tennessee-Kentucky up to near Hudson Bay, including Great Lakes Michigan, Superior, and Huron. The shield is solid granite, interspersed with gneiss, quartz, flint, mica, etc. All igneous rocks, and yes, all from volcanoes.

The Boundary Waters area is pretty much the western edge of it, I think. It looks very similar to Lake Superior Provincial Park on the Eastern end of Gitche Gumi.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Charlie Parmelee, my paddling partner on this expedition, has a $2,500 camera outfit. If it makes it back, yes there will be pictures. Otherwise, only my memories that I can hold up to the light and look at.

Looks like Charlie should of used one of those throw away cameras , they take pictures. His good camera is like Jacks memories ..... BLANK.

Chuck. :lol: :lol: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Eichhornia said:
Javier just stole a GPS from his brother. I think our camp-free lifestyle may be ending. I'm going to blame Chuck for that.

Yep .... It is my fault, everything usually is if it is not Bushes fault. :lol:

If you guy's (Family) are going to do some camping let me suggest something that might help you enjoy doing it.

1... Get a good tent, not something cheap or extremely expensive. A good 5 person tent will be just right for three people. They measure the amount of folks a tent will sleep by using midgets. So double what they say the tent will sleep if you want any room.
A. If it is easy and quick to set up that adds to the pleasure, light weight is also nice and weather proofed.
B. A leaky, hot, closed up tent is no fun ... A dry one when it rains, well ventilated and spacious is a lot better.
I like to call them nylon caves.

2. A good self inflating air mattress is a necessity, cheep ones usually have the camper inflating them a couple of times during the night and that is no fun.

3. A good sleeping bag will make the trip, a bad one will wreck it. A 60 degree bag when the weather is 30 degrees will make a person feel like a pop sickle while a 0 degree one will make you a toasted pop tart when it is only 50 degrees outside. You can always open them up to cool off. Best to fit the bag to the weather where you will be camping.

4. A good reliable camp stove and some non stick pots help with the camping cooking chores. A Bakepacker is a handy oven (cooking item) for cooking just about everything.
Ms Jean has them at adventure foods and she gives southernpaddler members a discount, she is with us. http://www.adventurefoods.com/
5. For solo camping you can't beat the Hennessey Hammock, pure comfort, sets up in a flash and is just well thought out for camping.
I dont' go camping without mine , even if I take a tent . http://www.hennessyhammock.com/

Chuck.