Mill Creek 16.5 on the water | SouthernPaddler.com

Mill Creek 16.5 on the water

Brad

Jan 25, 2005
N.W. Oklahoma
Build time: 3 months
Total weight rigged: 57.5 pounds

The guy in the boat is mt son. For some reason I can only get one image per post so there will be four posts.
100_0344.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I noticed you made it as a tandem (two seats or paddlers) After you get some wet time on the water with it I really would like to know your thoughts about it as a solo boat for a person wanting to do long distance paddling and camping thru all sorts of water conditions.........

Yep a challenge from me to you to get out there and really get it wet but having a ton of fun doing it.

57 1/2 pounds and how long..........15 feet? or is it the 16....... No one ever goes back and looks at the stats when they have the pictures to look at.........

So let us know ....... seats , length and all of the good news...... For Swampy's sake you might want to have pictures .... sometimes he has trouble with words ( if you have read some of his posts , then I do not need to there) :lol: .

Chuck.

PS... "O" By the way as Jack asked you .... When are you going to have a boat for your use :?: ... :lol: :lol: :lol: Your son looks like he is at home in there paddling it.

Brad

Jan 25, 2005
N.W. Oklahoma
It has a seat for each of us. I would like to have gotten a photo of both of us paddling it but didn't have a photographer. It was much easier for the two of us to coordinate the paddling than I thought it would be.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
... and just how long do you think it will be before you two realize that a solo boat apiece is much handier? Particularly for camping & fishing.

(counting here) One one-thounsand, two one-thousand, etc.

Brad

Jan 25, 2005
N.W. Oklahoma
The length is 16 1/2 feet. I'll probably get a lot of solo paddling time. As you can see I will have to put the seat in the middle to trim it. The graphite bottom should be parellel to the waterline.

Brad

Jan 25, 2005
N.W. Oklahoma
Yes Jack, I've thought about building two solo boats but it's going to take a while for me to forget what a pain in the behind all that sanding is. All those thin fill coats and sanding paid off though, it weighs 57 1/2 pounds and CLC says it should weigh 62.

Brad

Jan 25, 2005
N.W. Oklahoma
I still have another project to finish. Bought my future father-in-law an Uncle John's kit and all the materials to finish it for his birthday. Only problem is he's Tom Sawyering me into doing the work. When we get it glassed that's all going to change, I'm not going to sand and varnish his boat for him.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Brad

Don't feel bad .....

I made the Coho from Pygmy Boats http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/coho.asp with all of the bells and whistles on and in it then when it was done I made the mistake of letting my youngest daughter paddle it ...... She got back to the shore and proclaimed it as HER BOAT........

Just one of the pleasures of building wood boats......... YEP, I built a canoe for my use and several more pirogues. It never stop's..........

Chuck......
Let me throw a thought in here, something I really like.

Anyone can go out and purchase a boat of the shelf and it is made by a machine without any feeling and the boat is made from the same stuff, plastic or something close to it.

There is an ole song from the 50's about buying stuff ... it is called .... " A Dollar down and a Dollar a week"...... (Kingston Trio)

Our boats are made from a living breathing item called wood, this wood also has a spirit to it and a character unlike the modern junk from test tubes communally called plastic.

Now by making the boat then we use this material and it's character and spirit to create something functional and beautiful, bringing it back to life. In this process we also add a lot of ourselves be it blood, sweat, tears, worries or just thought but all of it is woven into the wood of the boat when it is done......... Something no one can walk into a store and purchase.

Like with my youngest daughter and the kayak .... When I am long gone and just a memory on the web or less then when she paddles the kayak I will be with her on the water and in her thoughts and for this there is no way anyone can put a monetary value on it. I am wishing that even later down the road a grand child has the same pleasure paddling the kayak or any boat I make, thinking about that ole SOB who made them, depending on how Mary describes me to them...... with any luck they will decide to make there own boat and not purchase it off a shelf someplace.

This makes it a continuing action and pleasure for more folks and multiplies rapidly which I think is a good thing. We are not just doing this for ourselves but for future generations who want to enjoy the same pleasures we do, the smell of the sanded and cut wood, the epoxy, the varnish and then the pleasure of padding a boat you have made and with luck your grandkids will enjoy........

Anyone can purchase a boat but the serious folks make them for there use. It is called a customised , hand made , watercraft.
If you have a plastic boat on a vehicle and next to it is a wood boat on a vehicle .... everyone will have to stop , look , feel and admire the wood boat :D

Chuck.
PS ..This last trip ... I had folks start to pass me and then they would slow down and I could see them staring at the canoe , after several miles then they would speed up and pass me , honking and waving........

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
:lol: Brad and/or Oldsparkey--if you are building boats and giving them to your kids there are almost 100 out here available for adoption. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We aren't giving them to the kids they are taking them......... It comes with the territory ....Example, Mary's favorite place to go grocery shopping is in our pantry. My guess is that it is easier to walk across the road and get waht you want then to drive into town and pay for the stuff. :lol:

Chuck.

Brad

Jan 25, 2005
N.W. Oklahoma
My son and I are slowly working up to becoming "real" paddlers. Took the boat to a larger lake today and paddled from a cove to a point and back in 10-20 mph quartering winds. We were surprised that the two mile paddle only took us about an hour and we were resting a lot of that time. We were both worn out but the best thing is that we may have found something we can do together that he enjoys.