10 cups meat stock or water
1/2 cup tomato sauce
Salt to taste
Louisiana hot sauce to taste
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped fine
Sherry (optional)
Lemon slices (optional)

Instructions
Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat and brown all the meat. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.

In the same pot, stir in the flour to make a dark roux, stirring while cooking until the roux is dark brown. To the dark roux, add the onions, green onions, parsley and celery, stirring after each addition, and cook until the onions are clear. Add 1 cup of the stock and stir to form a thick paste, then stir in the tomato sauce. Stir in the remaining stock, then add the meats, salt and hot sauce. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer another hour.

Serve with a teaspoon of sherry and a slice of lemon.

Yield: 10 to 12 servings

Credits
Recipe from: Justin Wilson's Homegrown Louisiana Cookin' by Justin Wilson (Macmillan)

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
Kahuna,

Your recipe is very close to my own recipe except for a few different/additional ingredients. I use tasso and beef roast for the meat in mine. I also add a good bit of finely minced carrots and a number of bay leaves and a small amount of allspice or clove powder. Too much allspice/cloves can ruin it. I use a good bit of lemon and sherry in it. In fact I slice a lemon or two in it while it cooks. I don't think it would be the same without the lemon and sherry. Since I live a short drive away from New Orleans, I've eaten my share of turtle soup. My favorites all seem to incorporate the same basic ingredients.

Kurt