Morning paddle on Bayou Corne | SouthernPaddler.com

Morning paddle on Bayou Corne

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
This morning it was 35 degrees and overcast at daybreak. I waited until 9:00 to see what the weather would do. It looked like the rain would hold off, so I loaded up the pirogue and put in on Bayou Corne; about 8 miles from home and about a mile from my old hometown.
Just after I put in I came upon a man fishing in a small aluminum boat tied up to a downed tree. Standing on the tree, not 10 ft. from the man was huge white heron. I commented to the man "Looks like you have a friend there.". The guy kind of laughs and says " He meets me here all the time. Sometimes he lands IN the boat to get a small fish." Cool.

I paddle down a half-mile and turn into a small bayou covered with this.
waterplants.jpg

Paddle down until it narrows down to half the width and was stopped by too many snags. Went back to the main bayou and came upon these two fine ladies.
twinladies.jpg

If you look closely at the one on the right, you can see the 5ft. paddle I put there for reference. A little farther down I passed by another old monarch.
100_0032.jpg

Another quarter mile and spied this old boy 100 yards back in the swamp. Put the paddle at the base for reference on this one too.
cypress2-1.jpg

The only thing that spared these old cypress from the loggers a hundred years ago was that they are all hollow- no market value.

Spotted a hawk, nutria, a couple of herons, and a cormorant. Also found two or three future camping spots. It was a very satisfying morning.

Joey

islandpiper

jdupre', i need to come over and paddle with you.........and i need a day off once in a while to do that. we'll talk when you come to the Rendezvous.

All 1673 members of this forum envy you..........we are all about as green with it as that duckweed.

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'd love to have you come down for a day of paddling, Piper. It's always nice to share an outing with someone that appreciates the same things. It seems most of the people around here are of the " let's see how fast and easy we can experience the outdoors" mentality. Even thought the pirogue originated around these parts, people still give me sideways glance if I tell them I went paddling for 4 hours and didn't have a gun or a fishing rod in the boat. "But what did you DO?!" They just don't get it.

Give me a little advance notice and we can put a day trip together.

Later Joey

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Nice Joey! Wish I could be there.......35 is pretty cool, especially is ya fall in the Bayou. I went thru training at Fort Polk like 40 years ago, I remember it could get pretty cold there in January. Nice Pix.....thanks.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Oldyaker, 35 degrees is cold in La. We have such high humidity that it just soaks down into your bones. I am always prepared to make a fire if I get wet, or I just paddle like heck back to the landing and build up a little internal heat. :)