Mrs. B | SouthernPaddler.com

Mrs. B

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Got in from work this evening and the credit card was laying on the computer table. I let out a groan and said an "OOHHH MAANNN. I ask her what she had ordered and she said powdered eggs. Two cans. 2.25 lbs. per can. Works out to 170 eggs per can. Will store open up to one year opened and 5 to 10 sealed. I ask her what she was planning for and she said that if things got really bad like some people are expecting and eggs got hard to get a hold of she wanted to be able to have her cornbread. How are you going to eat cabbage without cornbread. Can't eat beans without cornbread. Mrs. B can not hardly eat anything without cornbread. So when times get tough and there are no eggs if anybody gets hungry for cornbread, come on over. We will at least have cornbread.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mz. Jean's powdered eggs from Adventure Foods are the best powdered eggs I've found. Unfortunately, they are no longer in business. Where did Momma B find these eggs?

Here's a cornbread I use and like:

Tex-Mex Cornbread
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar (I like brown sugar)
2 Tbsp oil
1 egg, beaten
½ cup milk
1 ea 8 ½ oz can cream style corn
4 oz (1 cup) shredded cheddar
1 small onion, minced
2-3Tbsp jalapeños or peeled green chili
Mix all well. 8” square pan, greased. 450° 20-30 minutes

I sometimes dice up black olives and add them. And, may, only on sheer happenstance, add just a teensy weensy few more jalapeños. I like to eat this in a small bowl with maple syrup poured over it, JARVIS good eatin'!

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Jack,
I don't have a hyper link. I just typed in Camping Survival and got to it. Piper will be glad to hear that they have canned bacon. Jack, I read your recepie to Mrs. B and she said that it sounded good, but where was the cup of flour to go with the cup of cornmeal. Me, I do'n know. I'll let ya'll discuss the flour thing.
Bob

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Every man over the age of 12 here knows Ron's only safe reply to Mrs. B is a sincere and contrite "Yes, Dear." Snickering, guffawing, or excess grinning can be fatal. :mrgreen:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Wannabe, the beauty of this recipe for cornbread is - that it IS cornbread. It isn't soft, white bread with a bit of cornmeal in. Tell her to make it as the recipe sez, do not add white flour, and enjoy real cornbread for the first time in her life.

Dress it with real maple syrup, and you will give her JARVIS good eatin'!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
From the Southern Food Web Site.

Cornbread Tips..............
# Sprinkle a little cornmeal in the hot pan before adding the batter. It will brown and add a crispier texture.
# For a crusty cornbread, make sure there is a good "layer" of oil or shortening in the pan.
# A tablespoon of mayonnaise can be substituted for the egg.
# You can use all cornmeal, or lessen the amount of flour in the recipe.
# Use muffin or cornstick pans (preferably iron), to vary the shape.
# Instead of baking, fry the batter like pancakes.

Southern-Style Cornbread
* 2 cups yellow cornmeal
* 1 1/2 cups flour
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 tablespoons sugar, optional
* 3 eggs, beaten
* 1 tablespoon vegetable, for skillet
* 2 cups milk
* 1/4 cup melted butter
* melted butter for brushing top

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425°. Put oil or shortening in a 10-inch iron skillet and place in the oven to preheat while making batter.

In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and sugar, if using.

In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and butter. Combine with dry ingredients and stir until all ingredients are moistened. Batter will be like a thick pancake batter.

Carefully, with heavy oven mitts, lift skillet out and turn to coat all of the inside surface with oil. Pour in batter and return to oven. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until browned. A toothpick inserted in center should come out clean.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Any left over Cornbread can be used for a Johnny Cake Stuffing or if you want to .... call it Cornbread stuffing.

* 1 (16 ounce) package dry corn bread mix ( there is no cornbread left over , you need three cups of Cornbread )
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1/2 cup chopped celery
* 1 small onion
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 2 cups chicken stock
* 2 tablespoons dried sage
* salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Prepare the dry corn bread mix according to package directions. Cool and crumble.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x13 inch baking dish.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the celery and onion until soft.
4. In a large bowl, combine the celery, onions, 3 cups crumbled corn bread, eggs, chicken stock, sage and salt and pepper to taste; mix well.
5. Place into prepared dish and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
we had our thanksgiving dinner at our church today . my wife fixed mustard greens & cornbread. :wink: :D i,m full from today but you guys ae making me hungry again. jack i believe your recipee looks the best with all the differnt ingredients. chucks aint far behind though. :wink: