My daughters Bear Mountain kayak build | SouthernPaddler.com

My daughters Bear Mountain kayak build

WestCoastPaddler

My 13 year old (she's 14 now) daughter bugged me for nearly a year to let her build her own kayak. I figured that anyone that persistent should be given an opportunity to do what they long for -- so I picked up a Bear Mountain Magic kit for her and she's been busy sanding and epoxying ever since.

I should note that this is her project, not mine, and she's doing the build entirely on her own except for a few of the more difficult steps, where I've given her a hand.

One of the major things that we've done with this build is to modify the kit. The deck was too high for her -- the stock height of the deck would have required some serious padding to fit her -- the solution was to drop the deck height. We decided that lowering the deck 1 1/4" would put it at a height that would require some padding, but not so much to make it awkward (and would allow her to grow into the boat). We also decided to drop the rear of the cockpit coaming by an inch to make rolling a lot easier (she has a pretty good roll). A friend of mine who is into designing kayaks came out to the shop with tape measure in hand and for half an hour circled the kayak, taking measurements and then went home, put the numbers into his 3D Cad program and e-mailed me a set of four dimensions which I transferred to the panels, connected the marks with a batten and cut the panels. The modification turned out great and I think anyone but the designer of the boat would be hard pressed to tell that the original kit had been extensively modified.

Here's a photo of the drawings of the modifications -- you can see the difference at the front and rear of the coaming:

IMG_9146a.jpg

This photo shows the amount of the deck panel that was cut off:
IMG_9580.jpg

Another shot showing the amount that the deck was lowered on the station form (prior to cutting):
IMG_9598.jpg

This photo shows the boat after the deck panels were stitched together:
maddie-w-deck.jpg

And finally, this photo shows the modified rear cockpit recess:
IMG_9786.jpg

I told her that she should do something to the boat to personalize it -- the idea she came up with was to put glitter on the deck. It'll be very subtle (no low-rider car style here) and she'll also be doing some glittered starfish on the deck. Here's what the starfish will look like (this was our test starfish on a bulkhead):
7_06starfinished_1.jpg

Y'know, I get an enormous amount of pleasure building boats, but to have my daughter building her own kayak is quite a treat. She loves paddling and we've done many, many trips over the last few years. I feel very lucky to be able to have found something that the two of us can do together.

Her entire build is being documented in a journal here:
http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/buildin ... p?album=17

And a discussion about her build is in our forums:
http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/communi ... php?t=1922

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Dan,

Mitey fine lookin' gal. Her boat looks good too. :wink:

respectfully
bearridge

When the President signs this act [Federal Reserve Act of 1913], the invisible government by the money power -- proven to exist by the Monetary Trust Investigation -- will be legalized. The new law will create inflation whenever the trusts want inflation. From now on, depressions will be scientifically created. Charles A. Lindbergh

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Very nice!! Thats just great having your teenage daughter doing stuff like that when many others are just clicking their mouses killing time with nothing to show for it. But better yet, you are sharing something that she also can share later with her own family and friends, something that is a select group these days. Keep up the good work. But one caviat, your shop is too clean. :wink: 8)

WestCoastPaddler

Heh, heh, heh. Actually it's caveat.

And here I though it was time to do a bit of a shop clean up. :lol:

We just got back in from working on the boat -- Maddie glassed the seams underneath the deck. Next time out -- time to glass the inside of the hull.

She informed me tonight that she wants to do a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island in her new boat. That's a 700 mile trip. She figures she'll be ready to it over the summer of 2010. I think she'll be ready too. We're not sure yet, but if she does it she could very well be the youngest person to ever do that trip in a kayak. She does make me proud.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
I did speel it right. I got the "C" right and on this board it seems to pretty darn close to perfect if I ever seen it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have several stories of young ladies building their own boat that could be a complete thread. Never under estimate them with the drive if exhibited that some have too. Anyone here married? :wink: :p

beemer

Jan 5, 2009
Yep, that boat buildin w/ teen daughters, you have the envy of all of us dad's of daughters. go man go-you rock big time. mega kudos!

Paddletrucker

Jan 9, 2009
Inola, OK
Dang it's good to see a kid do something besides figure out how to master video games and watch American Idol!! :)lol: OR sit in front of a computer and post ot internet forums!! :oops: BUSTED!!) I know that sounds like it came from the mouth of a geezer, but I am only 32. I have a neighbor kid around 14 who I have offered many time to take for a paddle and fishing trip on the request of his Mom, and he says he would go if I fired up the 80 mph bass boat (that hasn't been started since I bought my first kayak) and we just cruised around the lake and didn't fish! :?

I hope that girl makes that 700 mile trip and many more!! I think you should be proud of her (I know you already are). In my hobby of building airplanes, all the kids want to fly after it's done and the work is over, but only a select few want to participate in the building process. I think it's really cool when a kid wants to participate in the creation of something and learn skills useful for a lifetime.