My Daughter's Boat: Getting Closer | SouthernPaddler.com

My Daughter's Boat: Getting Closer

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I have settled on a design for my daughter. It will be a srchr1626, 16 feet long and 26 inches wide. I am going to build this one Stitch and Glue,but it will have a stripped deck. There will also be some sort of mural painted on the boat although Hannah has not told me what just yet. Gerald designed the boat for good initial and secondary stability. I was willing to give up alittle efficiency to gain some stabilty. So anyway in the next couple of weeks the saw dust will start flying again. Guess I need to get busy ordering material.
I am also thinking of one for the wife. I have the plans for Matt's new wide Tv that will be built as soon as I finish this one.

Something similar to Gerald's.

TKFBBR022.jpg

Got started

hannahsboat005.jpg

hannahsboat006.jpg

hannahsboat005.jpg

Hannahsboat1001.jpg

On this boat I am going to Dye the epoxy instead of paint. She is a Longhorn Nut.

Hannahsboat1002.jpg

Hannahsboat1003.jpg

hannahsboat2001.jpg

hannahsboat2002.jpg

hannahsboat3.jpg

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Re: My Daughter's Boat

Great start!

Does the dyed epoxy hide the pencil marks on your wood or is it transparent?

Also - since I see you have a red and yellow dyes you must have mixed them to make your orange, did you think to make a large batch of the orange dye so as to not have to keep mixing it every time you need it?

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

The pencil marks are on just an old piece of scrap wood. After testing to make sure it would work I mixed up the colors in one container.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

Fillets are done and the pre- coat is on. Looks like an awful lot of orange, but the bottom will be graphite and the deck will be natural so only the sides will be orange. So far it has been a very easy build . Tomorrow morning I am going to fiberglass the outside and then by maybe Weds. I will flip it and start on the inside and deck. It won't be too much longer now and Hannah can so how it paddles. Hannah is gone tonight, but she will be excited tomorrow when she sees that I really did make it orange. Still need to figure how/where to put a longhorn emblem on it.

hannahsboat5001.jpg

hannahsboat5002.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder

Darrells said:
Still need to figure how/where to put a longhorn emblem on it.
Dang Darrell,

I wuz scrollin' down quick az I kin jest ta bet $5 there iz a fine longhorn decal within 2 miles of yer shop, til I read the last sentence. I like the Colonel on the bow of my Dagger, dont matter which side. I put our flag on there too. The only choices (ta my way of thinkin') iz bow, stern 'er amidships.....either side. She mite wanna pick out her own decals? Wait....decals stick good ta natural plastic. I dont know how they stick ta the chemical stuff ya'll use on them homemade boats. Git a Aggie sticker 'n try it first. [grin]

So, what kinda new boat does yer wife want? [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

Pea Eye Parker: What's it read, Gus?
Gus McCrae: It says, "Josh Deets.  Served with me 30 years.  Fought In 21 engagements with the Comanche and the Kiowa. Cheerful in all weathers.  Never shirked a task.  Splendid behavior. "  That's what it says.
Pea Eye Parker:  My lord.  Old Deets is gone.  My lord.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

Bear,
I am gonna build that new Wide TV Matt designed and see if the wife likes it. I can bet you that it will be Maroon though. :D

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

I had enough glass left over from the stripper to do the outside of the hull. Everything went off with0out a hitch. It really turned orange with the glass absorbing the epoxy. The girl is really liking the way the boat looks. I have decided to completely finish the hull all the way down to graphite on the bottom before I flip it and start the interior.

hannahsboat6001.jpg

hannahsboat6002.jpg

hannahsboat6003.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

I am having knee surgery in the morning so this will be the last update for atleast two weeks.Finished the rear deck and started the front deck. It is going well,I have just ran out of time for now. I screwed up on the front deck and had to make some adjustments. After I laid the center strip and the shear strips I must have moved the boat around some because they shifted. While trying to figure how to fix it I looked at Geralds post about the solid stern.

hannahsboat7008.jpg

Still have some shaping to do but it is working out for me.

I am happy with the way the decks are coming out so far.

hannahsboat7009.jpg

hannahsboat7011.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

I glassed the deck this morning. It is turning out to be pretty nice boat. I was alittle worried about such a light color deck , but with a couple of acscents and the colored straps and bungee I think it is goung to look nice.

hannahsboat8001.jpg

hannahsboat8004.jpg

hannahsboat8003.jpg

hannahsboat8005.jpg