My Touring Pirogue-T | SouthernPaddler.com

My Touring Pirogue-T

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I'm real sorry that I missed the rendezvous today, but I did still have a bit of fun. I got my pirogue in the water for the first time. I still have a few things to do to it including putting the epoxy-graphite on the bottom.
It is a great paddling boat though. It is built of 4 mm plywood with fiberglass on both inside and outside. I still haven't weighed it. More info at Matt's site:
http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2116

IMG_0373small.jpg

IMG_0372small.jpg

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jimmy, that's one sleek looking boat. It could go through a flock o' chickens and not ruffle a feather! Good work. Been thinking of an asymmetrical pirogue for my next boat.

Joey

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Thanks Joey, This is a great paddling boat and with just me in it those chickens wouldn't need to be knee deep in water. I highly recommend it. I really love the way that it just keeps gliding along long after I quit paddling.
Have you ever spent any time across on the Lake Fausse Pointe side of the basin? I plan to be there in June for a get-together with my family at the State Park. I hope to have a couple of days to do things on my own. Maybe we could get together for a paddle and drag Piper along.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jimmy,

Very nice. Dang near any kinda hat will go with it. :wink:

respectfully
bearridge

In legislative bodies, it is customary to mention all members as honorable; as, "the honorable gentleman is a scurvy cur." Ambrose Bierce

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
The plywood was sold as 3/16 exterior okoume. It was only about $18 per sheet, but it has 5 plies with paper thin layers on the outside and center. At least it has no voids and no patches in the outside layers. I have since then read of a place to get marine plywood in this area and plan to use that for my next boat.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jimmy..

You have created quite a beauty and will have a grand time in her on the water or answering questions when she is on your vehicle. She is a show stopper and folks will be staring at her and then asking you a ton of questions.

I especially liked the idea of the wood doweling ( as spacers ) you used. They give the boat a clean look. I hope you don't mind but sometime in the future when I build another one I want to copy your idea on them.

Chuck.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Jimmy, that is one great looking boat. Where exactly did you get the ply? One of those home cemter places or a good lumber yard?

Or, did I miss it?

Steve

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Thanks y'all. Of course it is Matt's design, I just followed his plans and added a few touches that I liked.

Mick, Thanks. Your build threads especially on the P5 helped a lot. I fact I first contacted Matt about getting the P5 plans and ended up with this one instead. :D

Chuck, I stole the idea of using the dowels from another build that I saw on either this forum or Matt's. I can't remember now just who did it first. but since I stole the idea, I guess that you are welcome to also. I hope that he didn't take out a patent. :twisted:

Dad, The ply came from Aircraft Spruce in Peachtree City, Ga. They had some more that looked the same at the time for twice as much. If I had looked at it closer, I might have bought the other one.

It still has quite a few runs and rough spots in the epoxy. Someday I may sand it down again and recoat it. I want to varnish it with a satin finish to cut down on the gloss and maybe that will hide most of the imperfections. Besides I plan on using it and getting some battle scars and am not worried about it looking like a museum piece that I am afraid to scratch.

Sometime over 15 years ago, before I moved into this house, I saw a show to TV where some boat builder in Louisiana was building a pirogue. Maybe that was Keith. That show first gave me an urge to build one. But back then, I used to spent most of my spare time running whitewater in my Bluehole OCA, sailing my Hobie Cat and hiking. When I first ran across this forum, I was thinking about building one similar to Uncle John's but with less rocker and painting it camoflage colors. As I continued to put it off and think about it, I started thinking about adding tumblehomes and using better and thinner ply and no paint. Then TRR built his Hot Air Piro and later Matt came up with the P5 which by then was almost exactly what I had in my head. So I contacted Matt about the P5 and by then he had come up with this one with ideas from jheger.

Thanks to every one on the forum for help and ideas and BS and friendship even though we have never met.

Jimmy

PS: I still have to build a seat and am going to try a couple of ideas for both a single and double blade paddle. Then I will probably start thinking about starting on the Southwind 15, unless Matt comes up with something more interesting by then. I spent over 4 months on this one, Southwind should last me at least 6 months maybe much more if I spend a lot of time paddling this one. Mick or TRR could probably do it in 3 or 4 days. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
DON'T USE MIN WAX VARNISH.........

If you use it since they do make a satin finish varnish , you will be cussing after a while. There varnish ( Satin or regular ) peels after a while , it has in the past 40 years that I know of and still does today.

Use any other varnish , please don't use Min Wax they stuff stinks , unless you enjoy sanding your boat and re varnishing more then paddling.

I have been using the Captains Spar Varnish and it has held up for 5 years on my boats without any peeling or problems. Plus it has a high UV Rating.

Chuck

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jimmy, never been to Lake Fausse Pointe but talked to a buddy that says it is a beautiful place. When your trip comes around, drop me a line. I'd like to join you and do a little exploring.

Joey

jheger

Nov 28, 2004
Weimar, TX
Jimmy W:
Looks like you and I think a lot alike. I recently ordered my SouthWind 15-30 plans and its on my list for a 2008 build. I have the plans and they look very intereting. Should be a fun boat to build and paddle. But, like you again, may be 6 months before she is complete. Jheger