Nantahala Oct. '08 | SouthernPaddler.com

Nantahala Oct. '08

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Go ta page 3. We are the only open boats on the page. Canoes & Kayaks 1-3. Oct. 25 Lucien 'n Ramona run thru first in their XL 15 with a homemade cover. I run it bass ackwards two days before. It wuz kinda chilly so I wore a stylish, but warm Chili Head hat.
http://www.noc.com/index.php/buy-photos.html

Miz Bear iz still too dizzy ta hold a camera steady. Sorry. Ramona took a few. I will try ta see if I kin figger out how ta move 'em on here.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
2528398120053343242S600x600Q85.jpg

Lucien 'n Ramona, the Kings, Miz Bear 'n me ready ta eat.
2726792670053343242S600x600Q85.jpg

a stylish hat
2294819610053343242S600x600Q85.jpg

one more frum the river

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
t

I think you may be in trouble. Looking at the hat, stylish as it may be, I do not see the glint of aluminium foil. Either you forgot it or someone used it for the potatos.
In either case, you is in real trouble from the voices. :?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Aint much ta tell bout this trip. The leaves in the Smokey Mountains wuz nice, but nuthin' like last year. On the way up we passed by the Lodge place in South Pittsburg, but jest kept on drivin'. I hear they sell dutch ovens 'n cast iron skillets that come out jest a bit messed up, fer a good price. Aye Laddie!

Az we drove up inta the mountains it turnt chilly. We set up camp 'n barely finished before the sun went behind the mountain. It wuz cold most nites, but I only got cold the first nite (34)....until the wee hours when it gits really chilly (39-43). I already tole ya'll how it didnt rain til Thursday nite, then all day Friday 'n Friday nite. Ya jest be thankful yer tent aint dark green. The rest of the time it wuz clear, but windy 'n kinda cool some of the time.

Jest az we finished settin' up the first nite (Miz Ann wuz settin' with us chewin' some fat) low 'n behold, here come a dark pickup with some long timber stickin' out the back. It wuz Ole Dave. I paddled a heap a whitewater with Dave, but aint seen him in years after he quit the college 'n become a 60 year old yard boy fer hiz in-laws. He had come up ta run the Chattooga Section IV in a raft with hiz son Land 'n a load of college kids. Land flipped hiz raft (happens a lot) 'n a rock hit Dave's knee....not like that rock tore that hole in the fella frum Scotland in "Adventure Bhutan" when Land pulled out the Super Glue, but enuff ta have Dave limpin' like a cripple.

Me'n Dave'n Miz Bear visited the next day. While we wuz eatin' at the River End Cafe, John Burton showed up. Woody come in later. John won a medal in the Barcelona Olympics. Him 'n Woody worked fer Payson in the ole days.....'74-'94. John left 'n bought the Nantahala Village 'n then sold out ta sell real estate. Woody too. Cuz it aint eazy ta sell real estate in west Carolina these days, these ole timers come back ta help out when the call went out. The NOC turnt all the kids loose this summer after the high gas cost near bout kilt their raft bizness on the Nantahala. All of the sudden church groups 'n day camps begun ta show up like hyenas round a dead giraffe. We even seen Angus (anuther Barcelona Olympic paddler) out rakin' leaves.

Dave left the next day 'n I paddled half the river by myownself. Nobody wuz on it but me. When it come time ta git off, I wuz tryin' ta lift the canoe onta the rack when it got away frum me. I fergot ta let go 'n it pulled me over 'n slung me inta the gunwales, then inta the road, face first. I curled up on the ground fer a while, but I figgered I wuz likely ta be okay. My glasses cut my nose in 3 places 'n the road put a nasty bruise jest above my left eye, but Miz Bear wiped the blood off. She sez I looked like the young men in the 82nd when they jump 'n roll off a short box.....cept a lot heavier 'n older.

Cuz Ron guaranteed it would keep ice fer 5 days, I got a Coleman Extreme cooler. It done az good az Ron sez....if ya make some block ice.

When Lucien 'n Ramona showed up, they like ta run the whole, dang river. We run it 'n I run the Falls backwards agin. Ya dont see many folks run it that way. It wuz my own fault, but the last day I paddled, I done it rite.....jest like the book sez.

Swamprat,

Lucien likes ta park hiz camper/van/trailer down behind the bathhouse by Big Wesser....so after we run the Falls, he wanted to paddle way downriver 'n take out under the ole bridge.....less'n 50 yards above Big Wesser. I took out down there once 'er twice back in the ole days, but Lucien sez somethin' bout "The Drop". [They made this rapid with rocks.] I knew there wuz a rapid down there where the kayakers worked on rodeo moves all day....jest above the ole bridge. The Drop iz a big one. I like ta not made it....but my drawers stayed clean.

Most of the time the campground wuz empty. I pick the week before the end of their season fer a reason. On the weekend some 30 somethin' fellas pulled in 'n set up 3 sites up frum us. They used their little car fer gear 'n slammed the door all nite....startin' bout 9 pm. Bout the same time a 60 somethin' couple with a kid 'n grandkid pulled in 'n left their headlites on fer bout 30 minutes while they set up a popup camper. We had jest turned in 'n the lite went rite in our tent. If it hadn't been so cold, somebody mite have got hurt.

The next day me 'n Lucien stood in the road tween both groups 'n talked bad bout 'em. I done a hate crime. I figger Carolina dont allow talk of shootin' folks.....even if they need it bad. Miz Ann read the younger folks the riot act when the went ta slammin' the doors the second nite. One of 'em come over 'n apologized ta Lucien. Later, Miz Bear 'n me had a good talk with two of 'em. We likely will paddle together somewhere down the road. They bad wanna paddle Section III of the Chattooga. I give 'em my email cuz I mite try that agin if the water iz over 2'.

The 60 somethin' folks had a dog, but he didnt bark much. There wuz one kid in the campground with a dog the first nite. He never put it on a leash. It run at us in the dark. I tole him ta read the dang rules. He didnt stay long. The Lost Mine Campground iz a certified geezer campground. No music, no radio, pets on a leash, no barkin' pets, no fireworks (even on the 4th), no door slammin', no usin' yer headlites ta pitch camp, no busload of drunk gals in the creek, no loud mufflers....even on a Harley.

I am sorry Mister John 'n Miz Ann dont fill up that often, but I been ta campgrounds that allow rude behavior. They keep a list of folks who caint come back.....includin' the college kids frum jest down the street.

regards
bearridge

It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them. Caron de Beaumarchais

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Baldy,

Bad luck 'n truble been my only friend, but horny aliens jest dont seem ta cruize west Carolina like they do where ya find a heap a folks drinkin' Sterno. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Honesty pays, but it doesn't seem to pay enough to suit some people. F. M. Hubbard

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear....

Sounds to me like the idiot crowd that has no consideration or courtesy for anyone has migrated into the Carolina's. It appears the only way to have a quiet time out camping is on some river a good distance from anyone camping in the area , or take plenty of ammo and a large bore weapon with you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Ole Sparkey,

When them headlites come inta our tent, I had the tale frum yer last campin' trip in mind. The Lost Mines iz spread out over 90+ mountain acres 'n we had other folks near us only on that one weekend. There wuz no noise frum the folks who left the headlites on fer 30 minutes. The young folks slamming the car door wuz only bad til they got their camp set up. It didnt take 'em all that long ta set up. It wuz jest that they come in late. Late ta them aint the same az late ta me. :wink: Other than those two times, the place wuz quiet....cept fer the Silver Mine Creek which ya always hear in the background.

I passed one campground along the river where some kids had their music on real loud. Made me glad our tent wuz set up where that aint allowed. One of the quietest places iz the Ocala Forest.....if them danged monkeys will hold it down. 8)

regards
bearridge

She had a pretty gift for quotation, which is a serviceable substitute for wit. W. Somerset Maugham

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Mr. B
I been out tryin to talk sense into the Monkeys. Found they have taken to stealin booze out of others camps near the silver river. I think the thought of a drunk hairy midget will keep the coolers closed tighter.
Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Lazyriverguy said:
Mr. B
I been out tryin to talk sense into the Monkeys. Found they have taken to stealin booze out of others camps near the silver river. I think the thought of a drunk hairy midget will keep the coolers closed tighter.
Joe

Dang .. Thank's Joe.

Ya answered a mystery I have been trying to figure out for a long time , ever since that last trip down the Ocklawaha River.
I left a bottle of Early Times out on the Commodores table (overnight) and it was empty in the morning when I got up. Now I know why there were a lot of tiny hand prints all over that bottle.
Not that I don't mind since anything on the table is up for grabs , besides I had a spare with me.
Besides those monkeys are really smart and courteous , they even screwed the cap back on it when they were done. :lol: :lol: :lol: Since they were so considerate the next time I camp on the Ocklawaha I will have to set out a bottle of banana flavored Vodka for them. Or would they like a Pea Nut flavored one , Hummmmmm will have to think on this.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ron,

None that I know of, but I had kin who lived in Dallas 'n some in Ft. Worth. I wuz born in Dallas. Whores wont leave him alone either? :wink:

regards
bearridge

Gargoyle (n.), olive-flavored mouthwash.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Br'r Bear,

Wingo San and I drove past the Wessers, both greater and lesser. Your story about the dog running around reminds me of a time in the Sierra's when a couple in an RV pulled next to my tee pee. their little fifi dogs ran around and peed and barked ant everything.

As I was unlimbering my .357, Bill said he'd take care of it. He walked over, was gone about 5 minutes, and the gal was shrieking for her fifi dogs to come in.

I asked him what he said. "Not much, just asked if they'd see the coyotes yet that night. That hey usually came out about now to hunt."

wrhester

took me a month to see this

just want to say good pics. Its good to see who I've been talkin to and with since I joined. Glad you enjoy our neck of the woods. Though, there are times when I miss my good ole Louisiana home...but there aren't many. I'll come by and say hey next time your up.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend William,

I know you know exactly where we will be. Truthful Jack 'n Jimmy W. drove rite past our base camp. Oldyaker, the High Sheriff, Paddlin' Gator, Swampy, Swamprat, the Commodore, Harry Jr., Miz Jean, Gatormac 'n others know the way too. I think Land will fly back for a college student October raft trip on Section IV frum now on, so perhaps we might all hook up at the Lost Mines. Land 'n Pat King kinda grew up together, both worked fer the NOC. Pat took pichurs, but then he went ta real estate like all the rest. Now he iz in Thailand fer the winter....sez it iz cheap. Miz Bear, Roscoe Brown frum Arkansaw, Twyla 'n me will be there in May 'n October til we end up on a taxpayer scooter frum The Scooter Store. :wink:

Miz Jean 'n Sam (Spangenberg) live in Bryson City too. She iz a Southern Paddler member, but she aint posted too much since they come ta the Lost Mine Campground 'n met the High Sheriff. I aint sayin' it iz cuz of him.....but she used ta join in here purty often. :lol: I owe Robert some answers 'n wanna see Deanna 'n the kids now that they growed up some. We like ta pick a week in May before the schools let out 'n clutter up the river. When we git ta 2009 we will throw out some dates. Hopefully, some of the other folks on here will give some thought ta droppin' by....ta paddle, ta eat, ta tell tall tales 'er jest ta camp? Some of the fellas jest like a campground where Nurse Rachet iz on the job.....keepin' the barbarians quiet.

regards
bearridge

His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.  Unknown high school student