8 slices of bacon
1 medium onion , finely chopped
1 green bell pepper , finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped smoked ham , about 6 ounces
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes , undrained
1 clove garlic chopped
3/4 cup old fashion stone ground white grits
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1... Fry the bacon over med heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels. When cool crumble into pieces.

2... Leave three tablespoons of the drippings in the skillet. Reheat pan on med heat. Add the onions and peppers. Cook until the onions are translucent , about 5 minutes. Add the ham and cook, stirring , until the peppers are soft, about 10 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and the juice along with the chopped garlic. Cook , stirring occasionally until most of the moisture has evaporated , about 30 minutes.

3... In a separate pot bring three cups of water to a boil , add the grits and salt. Over a med to low ...heat ...cook , stirring occasionally until thick and creamy , about 30 minutes. Now add the tomato and ham mix to the grits stirring it in and top with the bacon crumbles.

Chuck.

dawallace45

Chuck

I'll give it a go with the yellow , been looking for white grits for several years but they just aren't available here or at least I haven't found them so far , at one stage I looked long and hard for Black-Eyed peas until unfortunately I found them , I figured they must be a acquired taste so I asked a mate in Kentucky about them , he reckons that no one in the south actually eat them , they just feed them to tourists from the north as a joke , much like we do with Vegemite

Have heard of the yellow snow , never seen it , but then I've never seen snow in real like either

David

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Those folks in Kentucky just have no idea about good food ...They like squirrel ( tree rats) brains and inners.... They are almost if not entirely Yankees .

Black eyed peas with some rice and a smoked ham hock an onion all cooked together is called Hoping John and some sort of good eating , especially with some cornbread with cracklings in it to sop up the juice. Man some good chowing down , plus it will keep you going all day.

One of my main stays when paddling an camping.......... I have a paddling mix of it for me when out on the water and in the wilds it is just as good as the ones I make at home. OK , almost as good since it has not cooked all day and then served over some Swamp Seed ( Rice) . It has everything but just in a quicker cooking method.

Chuck......

dawallace45

Chuck

I looked back though my email and pulled the post from my mate in Kentucky , won't post all his email just this little bit

" Black eyed peas have been a Southern tradition since Sherman’s March Through Georgia, when the yankee troops destroyed everything in their path that could be used as food. It was said a crow had to pack his lunch to fly across the trail of devastation Sherman's troops left. But the yankees didn’t consider Black Eyed Peas to be food and did not destroy them , they figured they weren't even fit for fodder .

Hell , as hard as it is for me to admit the yankees were right "

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My first thought was, Why waste the:

8 slices of bacon
1 clove garlic chopped, and
Salt and freshly ground black pepper?

I refrained, but once bidden forth, ....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
My first thought was, Why waste the:

8 slices of bacon
1 clove garlic chopped, and
Salt and freshly ground black pepper?

Jack , I can see your point and I agree with you , why waste all of those ingredients when you could just have the grits by themselves.
BUT , you know sometimes , something different is OK ......( now and then ). :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack Ya Old Goat........ :lol:

All I can say is life would not be any fun , just .... BORING.

ARrrrrrr Matie ....... It is one of the pleasures in my life , like Piper an others , of giving you a broadside now and then but you set your self so graciously it would be criminal not to take a shot.

I would just hate myself if I didn't. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pirate (Gray Beard) Chuck.

islandpiper

Chuck left out the best part......going to Nassau to have these!! Man I could use a couple of days off.....

Soon as I get some bacon I've got to try these grits. Maybe I'll bag some up and send them pony-express to Jack, as cold as it is up there now, he'd enjoy a hot meal I'm sure.

Piper