Natahala , 2005 Spring , Geezer Trip | SouthernPaddler.com

Natahala , 2005 Spring , Geezer Trip

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well, another great trip has come and gone. :x

A short history.
I started out from the house here in sunny Florida with shorts and a loose "T"shirt on. Going down or in this case up the highway it was comfortable and easy sailing ......almost. Here comes the Georgia line and my favorite type of clouds, dark & wet. A day and a half driving thru Georgia it rained, fog so thick all I could see were my tail lights, the temp took a nose dive and I dove into the 1st place I could find to get some jeans and a long sleeve shirt on while the heater in the Jeep blasted HOT air on me and the windshield wipers slapped out there tunes. I continued till late afternoon and then said "Nut's with this, located a place to crash for the night and enjoyed a good hot shower and hard bed. :D

Up in the morning and on the road again, same weather, hit the Krakerlina line and the sun shined on me from there to the camp.
One could say Georgia is wet, cold, foggy and a great state to be away from, anyway for the last two days I was there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pulled into the Lost Mine Campground, It is one really nice camping area, and there is Swampy & Joe with Swampies better half , KT (Wolfymamma on the forum). If Swampy would have only been there I am sure Ann (the owner of the campground) would have lost a lot of business when folks pulled in and saw Swampy there but Joe proved there is dignity & class amongst campers which makes a person feel safe.

Said our howdies , then got the tent up and shortly in comes Yaker , He told me when he saw that gold jeep he knew he was at the right spot, poor fool, he did not see Swampy till it was to late. :shock: Last but not lease and later in comes Bear and Karen.

Swampy will tell you all about the river and some of the awards that were handed out that night (I was given a new canoe and paddles) soooooooo I will tell you about the supper.

What a supper, Yak picked up some NY strip steaks from a butcher friend of his and we had them cooked over the fire with spuds, Swampys carrot & raisin salad, home made bread and all sorts of goodies including home made cookies. Let me say this .... The table was full of eats and this is the 1st (Saturday) night we are there, it stayed that way on the whole trip.........

We would run into town (for better words) for breakfast or supper plus we had all sorts of goodies with us then to increase this we invited Jean & Sam ( http://www.adventurefoods.com/afsearch.asp ) for supper on Sunday nigh at an Italian restaurant in Bryson and she brought more treats for us to use when in camp along with copies of her new cooking book for all of us.

I am thinking Yak might have more to say or tell you about that since he was looking forward to meeting Jean & Sam, Not that I wasn't . :? ....... Everytime I go up there I shangi them and drag them out for supper so we can BS and tell lies, which Jean is getting good at.

We were talking about her business and she told me that she was talking with Kayak Jack and he told her to contact me at southernpaddler since I am such a very nice person and always willing to help someone ........ If I would have been eating at that very moment I am sure Rescue, paramedic's, preachers and the Good Lord only knows who else would have been called to save me....... Jack saying something like that .... YEP RIGHT, it is like a used car sales man saying .......Trust Me.

I think I will sign off at this point and let the real story tellers tell you what happen on the trip but I did find one way to make Swampy jump...... Hide in the bathroom and when he walks by the stalls ......... BOOOOO , boy he does a quick skip and then does not need to go where he wanted to go. He He He (The stall will keep you dry or protected from any fall out) now if I would have only ......Growled then slapped his hat, best not to, the spray bottle with the Nitro was up at the tent and I would hate to see Swampy flopping around like a mullet in a frying pan while I took the leasureley walk to the tent and back. :roll:

By the way the trip home was sunshine , cool and nice all the way , naturally.

OK ..... I am ready where do we go next month and for you folks who missed this trip ......... Ya missed out on a lot of good stuff & good times that ya will never know about , After all this is a family forum and some things just can't be told, like Yak sucking that raft up, Don't ask how he did it but 4 pounds of prunes helped to dislodge it later that night. :p I am sure the vehicles parked across from his campsite will be OK ....Not sure about those campers / paddlers............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
...Yak ... was looking forward to meeting Jean & Sam... We were talking about her business and she told me that she was talking with Kayak Jack and he told her to contact me at southernpaddler since I am such a very nice person and always willing to help someone ....
Chuck,

You can rest easy. After digging into the arkeyevies, I found my original message. to wit:

"Jean, Avoid chuck as he has lice, and likes to help himself to other people's food."

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Chuck is getting his Jeep into a fine fashion of a ride. He was sporting his new top and it looked great. Trying his best to profile as a twenty five year old out on spring break, the Jeep is indeed the sporting ride. Chuck, being the more sane of the crowd, stayed on shore as we ventured out into the unknown. Yes the Unknown, because even Bro Bar's 25 year old memories weren't no where to be found.

"There'z a few rapids ahead... maybe a class II the highest......" famous last sayings huh?

After the Tuck paddle (?) Chuck was running around selling us photos of the river where we were trying to learn how to manuver in chop. Bro Bar makes sure you know how to bring yerself around in the foaming and tossing waters. Ferring, eddie entering and exiting, surfing and a few more manuvers were among the "check list" of survival strokes. Yak and Bill were the "masters" of the paddles.... Joe and I watched and wondered... one thing we realized was that we wanted some room twix those two.... Bill being the strongest of the two... Yak being the more soaked than all four of us.....

But I wanna save that till later... he he he
swampy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
I am thinking Yak might have more to say or tell you about that since he was looking forward to meeting Jean & Sam, Not that I wasn't . :? .......

OK ..... I am ready where do we go next month and for you folks who missed this trip ......... Ya missed out on a lot of good stuff & good times that ya will never know about ,
Chuck.

Chuck, First, I must thank you for your forum and the laughs you provide, and camping know how. Without the forum, I would not have some of the best friends I have in the world as I now have after a couple of trips! You Guy's are the Greatest and I look forward to your fellowship as many times that are possible! We all enjoy the same things and each others company, what else in this world that could matter more?

Next, For those of you that have never tried the Bakepacker and Adventure Food products, your missing out on the best trail food anywhere. Next, Do your self a favor and introduce yourself to Miz Jean and Sam when you make an order. I dare you to find two nicer folks on the face of the planet! Miz Jean tried to humble herself by taking off her halo at dinner but she is still an Angel and a fine Lady.

I have to thank that fine Suth'n Gentleman, Bear for making this trip possible, his great Lady Karen for carting us around and being just all around great. I never ever thought I'd have a Lawyer as a good friend, shows you how low I can stoop! :wink:

Of course I want to thank Joe for just being there and paddling with me, he is an officer and a gentleman. Time to join the forum Joe!

Thanks Swampster(AKA: Snatch) for the laughs of a lifetime, sides are still hurting. Thanks KT for keeping Swampy in line, I have a Sympathy card in the mail to you!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
Chuck, First, I must thank you for your forum and the laughs you provide, and camping know how. Without the forum, I would not have some of the best friends I have in the world as I now have after a couple of trips! You Guy's are the Greatest and I look forward to your fellowship as many times that are possible! We all enjoy the same things and each others company, what else in this world that could matter more?

OK... Per our agreement since you posted those nice things about me the check was mailed off to you this morning for the agreed upon amount.

Now ...... All of the rest of Yak's post is honest and truthful, even the part about bear. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Swampy said:
Chuck is getting his Jeep into a fine fashion of a ride. He was sporting his new top and it looked great. Trying his best to profile as a twenty five year old out on spring break, the Jeep is indeed the sporting ride.

Swampy

They said the different top would increase the gas mileage and they were correct, it will pay for it's self in the long run.

Besides letting more air or ventilation in the vehicle ( I got one without AC ) then the standard top it sure increased the gas mileage.
The Arkansas trip I was getting 24 MPG at the best and on this last trip I got 29.677419 MPG or so the calculator here at the house tells me.

Now ....... Just 49 more payments and the Jeep will be mine and not the bank's. Yep , a 25 year old sport that has gray hair and not a lot of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
PS. Guess that is why I like the North Carolina Mountains .... Even they are bald.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Howdy Fellas,

I been waitin' ta see them pichurs before I tell what all we done. It dont do no good ta spin a fine tale, then somebody shows how it jest aint so. :wink:

The geezers on this trip wuz all first rate expedishunaires.

When Miz Bear 'n me pulled in off the Silvermine Road, the backside of the Lost Mine Campground wuz covered up with geezers. Miz Ann had already run inta Swampy 'n seen rite off how it wuz gwine ta be jest like in the Cuckoos Nest when Randall took all them fellas deep sea fishin'.

We wuz plum wore out frum the drive, so after we done what we do second best (eat), we got some shut eye. We drove in frum the west, so we seen the whole river. They had all come in frum the east, so they didnt see how brown 'n high it wuz frum the hoodoochie that musta been lookin' fer the High Sheriff. Five inches iz a heap a rain. I didnt want him ta see it like that cuz hiz Medtronic mite go haywire.

I wuz hopin' the Nantahala would drop a bit, so the next day I got 'em ta head over ta the Tuckaseegee River. It aint eazy ta herd geezers. Cows iz eazier. Over the last 25 years, the Tuck haz always been a "eazy" paddle day. The water wuz always warm too.

Sunday when I looked out frum the put in, I seen rite off it wuz different. It always had 5-6 fun little rapids where the high dollar kayak teachers would learn the new fellas ta whitewater.

See the FERC (thats guviment fer regalator) gotta meet with the public 'n the power boys ever five years ta git a new license. The raft folks tole the power boys how they would tell some good tales bout 'em at the public meetin' if they would open up the dam a bit wider so more water would come down. [That iz the profit motive....fer the raftin' bizness.]

Funny how a bit more water kin make such a difference. [In a way it wuz jest like the Buffalo River when I tole all them geezers it wuz no whitewater, jest a narrow slot at Gray Rock Shoals.] :oops: I knew what wuz comin' up this time. I jest didnt know how hard it wuz gwine ta be with the extra water.

Rite off Swampy went off downriver by hizownself. I set out ta learn Joe 'n oldyaker ta grab a eddy 'n surf. They picked it up purty quick. I felt some better, but it wuz hard with Swampy. He jest aint eazy ta train. I dont see how KT done az good az she haz.

Ever one of 'em run the first rapid jest fine. I wuz kinda worried with the water like it wuz....'n bein' new ta me. I figger they felt purty good after that first rapid, but I knew there wuz some bigger stuff comin' up.

Fer az I recall, they run anuther big one 'n some tricky rock gardens in between. The third big one wuz kinda tuff. The water kept shovin' yer boat over toward a big rock in a narrow chute. They all done too much lookin' at that big rock 'n listenin' ta the roar, when they shoulda been paddlin' harder ta git away frum it.

Swampy 'n Joe jest barely missed the big rock 'n run rite thru, but oldyaker jest got too dang close. Then the big water hit him 'n he leaned upstream. It wuz over in a flash. The river ripped off hiz timeteller 'n we all set out ta rescue.

Yak held onta hiz paddle 'n got ta hiz boat purty quick, but it aint eazy ta swim with a paddle 'n we never had no time ta practice climbin' back in. Swampy 'n Joe wuz good help, but before ya kin spit we wuz rite in anuther rapid. oldyaker jest run that one by hizownself.

Rite after that I looked fer some flat water ta git organized agin, but lo 'n behold it wuz some more rapids comin' up. I didnt want ta see oldyaker run no more rapids without hiz boat. When he made up hiz mind up ta swim hard, he done jest fine.

Them rocks iz hard, but they didnt bang oldyaker up too bad. Hiz knees looked okay in blue. We didnt wear no helmets cuz we figgered our heads wuz near bout az hard az a helmet....mebbe harder. [Dont none of you little pardners try that.]

oldyaker learnt the most on the Tuck. Swampy 'n Joe made it all the way down without blowin' out. Ya dont learn quite az much that way. Mebbe next time they kin blow out? :wink:

I dont figger any of 'em had paddled like that before. I got a dollar sez they never done no surfin'. They aint quite ready fer the rodeo yet, but if it wuz a geezer rodeo, I bet some of 'em jest mite sign up. :wink:

regards,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer

You’re never too old to do a thing until you say you are. Harry McDonald

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Bro Bar, my report iz comin up shortly wit sum pictures.

Rodeo iz right! I looked like a cowboy ( geezer style) bein tossed about on one of them thar bulls on a short rope.

The Tuck ain't fer the timid. It's real W W all the way down it.

But my pictures of some of the rapids on Tuesday ( we ran it on Sunday) shows how much the river died down after the Feds turned off the dam flow on Monday.

Sparkey has sent the pictures already. They didn't get here today... maybe Monday....

A hard hat huh? I seen a wet suit fer $900 plus tax on one of Yak's URLs fer gear gatherin.... kinda steep fer me.... but if'in I waz to run them cold rivers with frost all abouts, I'd need to git one.

swampy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Ta be truthful Bear, I got so boogered up, I wasn't tryn' ta lean any direction. It just had it way with me, much like that experienced girl on my first date. :roll: I was just sitt'n there stupified. Some one tole me it was a mild river, wasn't expect'n what I got. I luv'd it, I'll do it again and again and again. Let my life come to an end doing what I luv, not in a nursing home sitt'n in dirty drawers. When's the next trip?

You ever hear that Song, "Live like you we're dying?", Tim McGraw....."2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu, etc, etc," That's how I'm liv'n now dat da chill'n is grown. I never tole ya this before, but when Yak was young he was one a dem aeriobatic pilots fer a spell, yep. loops, rolls, upside down and the like. When we had chill'n. Miz Yak said that Yak was done wit dat stuff. Even made 'ol Yak sell his moter sickle. She did let "ol Yak WW raft, she knew she had to let me git me jollys off somehow if she didn't want any more chill'n after no. 3. Now, I ain't got chill'n to worry about. I can do what I like and nobody depend'n on me. Miz Yak gotta big insurance policy out on Ol' Yak's a$$. :wink: WW is fun, but I really enjoy the company, libation and food! :D

Swamp, Next time we git toghether, I want a private show'n a dat red neck wet suit....... :wink: :wink: I won't tell......... :p

PS: Zataran's done dried up around here, need to git sum when Yak's in Savannah for a month in July, I'm hooked! You ever do any drug deal'n Bear? Your good!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker

Ya asked .....Bear ...... " I'm hooked! You ever do any drug deal'n Bear? Your good! '

Yep , he is a drug dealer ... he DRUG us down those really quiet/calm waters of the buffalo, till most of us almost drown, then he DRUG us down them Krakerlina rivers till most of us (not me) almost drown or felt like they went thru a washing mochine. :lol:

He is a drug dealer in fun, good times, companion ship, camping, staying up way to late, counting clouds, watching shooting stars, satellites passing overhead, counting the bats that are flying around , drinking rivers dry and just good ole fashion fun times. :D

Chuck
PS . Not forgetting the Zataran's :roll: Darn almost forgot about those fireflies in the tree tops that bear said were airplanes and then changed it over to aliens looking for there leader ....Swampy. That was some good river water ole Bear was drinking. :wink:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Chuck! You have eloquent speech! Dang, you are good with words. Everything you said is how I feel. I'd go with the guy on any river.

Bear while going over Niagara Falls: "Now Fellas, this is a little rough. A little higher than I remember for my 25 year old memory. Just keep your paddle in the water and lean down stream." After going thru: "See, That weren't so bad, Yak, you need help pull'n that paddle out of yer a$$?"