New 3wt outfit from the pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

New 3wt outfit from the pirogue

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Put the pirogue in a local pond this morning. Very little action until late morning when I hooked into about a pound and a half catfish. What a fight on that light rod ! It took the better part of a minute before I even saw what it was.

This evening I fished Bayou Corne. It looks like the fishing is starting to come around. Fished around the docks and cypress trees and caught about 15 with 7 keepers. Had a couple of good ones get away. It seems those fish knew when I was reaching for the paddle and chose that moment to bite. :(

It was a good break-in trip for the little rod, which is fast becoming my favorite.
100_0312.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Besides getting away and having some fun for a while you have the fixings for a good supper. :D
I noticed you were using a black spider , that or the brown one around here is a killed on the bream. In fact we call them Bream Killers. :lol:

I do like catfish , on the rod or in the frying pan. One fun thing to do it to tie on a bream hook , bate it with a worm and flip it out , let it sit and before long Mr Whiskers is on. With a fly rod it is a ton of fun. There is one spot where I can get the fingerling cats ( about 8 inches long) and on a fly rod , one good time , not even thinking about that supper.

Chuck.
PS. Your picture would make a dandy screen saver for a bream fisherman. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
Your picture would make a dandy screen saver for a bream fisherman.
My what a sharp eye grandpaw! That iz a fine pichur. I liked it when I first looked at it, but I went ta dreamin' of hushpuppies with a heap a onion 'n jalapeno....mebbe some fine chopped celery inside too. When I wiped the drool off my keyboard, I had moved on.....I tole Miz Bear them oak trees aint gwine ta trim themselves, but she iz busy rakin' up the figs. This winter all the fig trees near the house (where we walk) will go down like a White House intern durin' the Clinton Years.

I wish we had a pichur section....not jest fer boats, tools 'n garages. Opps.....we do. Hey Joey.....

regards
bearridge

We make war that we may live in peace. Aristotle

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
100_0312.jpg

Looking at the above picture .......
1.. The composition of it is just right.
2.. There are the fish to show what he was doing.
3..There is his weapon against the fish , the Fly Rod.
4.. There is the bait , the black spider with the white legs on one of it's victims.
5.. Background is the wood in his boat.
6.. Contrast is the sprinkling of the mud with a shell bit in it.
7.. The leaf adds contrast and freshness to the over all photo.
8.. The portion of the anchor rope lets you know it is a boat he is using.
9.. The angle of the fly rod and fly line pulls the whole picture together.
10.. The contrast from the dark on the one side to the light on the other.

For a great picture /photo a persons eye should have something to follow to make a complete circuit and it does that in this picture , it would make a great painting of cover photo for a fly fishing magazine.

If that picture was mine I would be entertaining it in some fishing photo contests , the worse is they only print it as honorable mention , the best as the cover for a book , printed or on the web.

In Florida , The Florida Wildlife ( a publication published by the Game and Fresh Water Commission) pays $200.00 for a cover picture for there Florida Wildlife Publication.

I'll bet Louisiana has something like that. :D

I was a commercial artist for 10 years , before I decided to make some money and went with the Sheriff's Office. That was a good move , been retired 10 years this month (July) and enjoy each retirement check they send me at the end of the month.... 120 of them so far. This lets me take pictures , and have some fun ( None as good as this picture ) the picture jdupre' took has a lot of possibilities.

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I did spend a couple of minutes arranging the fish and the rod. Wish I could say I thought of the all the other elements that you listed, Chuck. :) The first picture I took of the fish caught the bottom right gill in mid flop. He was the last one on the stringer and still had a little fight in him.

The fly is a Cap Spider. It's tied on a 1/84 oz. jig hook. Most of the time they took the fly as it was falling from the cast. I bought about $40.00 worth of fly tying materials and they probably paid for themselves seeing that flies go for $2-$3 each. I lost a few to stumps, a couple to 10# gars( very fun while it lasted) and several to the "tree gods".

Jack, I did fillet them mainly because Joy doesn't like to eat around the small bones. Tonight, I'll dust them with a little Tony's Creole Seasoning, dredge in Zatarain's fish fry and fry them outside while sipping an adult beverage. Life is good. :)

Now back to the picture. I'll start the bidding at $200.00. $200.00 CAN I GETTA 10 CAN I GETTA 10 GIMME 10 GIMME10 GIMME 10 DOLLAR BILL!!!! :lol: :lol:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Chuck, I just noticed another element in the picture. The dark spot on the rib in the lower left hand corner is an iron stain in the cypress due to it's prior life as a fencepost in my Grampa's yard. I guess that would be a sentimental element.

Joey

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Joey, they pay top dollar after ya cut off a ear.....'er wear a french cap. :roll:

regards
bearridge
bodine art college

No opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. W. H. Auden

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That's the trouble , folks just look casually at a picture but never really ... look ... at a picture and see what it is telling you.

A good picture or photo is worth a 1,000 words or so they say , personally I think it is more then that.

There are more then a thousand tails and stories in one picture if you take the time to dissect it and enjoy it , especially a great one like yours. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That picture has a lot of tails to tell , right Bear. I swear Van was a sleep before he hit that lounger. Proof that paddling threw rapids can be hazardous to ones health , or energy. :lol:

Folk's I need to tell you something... The above picture is Van camping in full comfort. If it might rain then he throws a tarp over that lounger. If he is camping light then it is nothing more then a tarp on the ground , sleeping bag ( cold weather ) with part of the tarp over him if it looks like rain and that is all.

No tent , mattress , hammock ... to put it simply ... No Nothing but that tarp and a bag , for splurging the lounger and he will be sleeping faster then if somone hit you in the head with a ball bat. He is a coyboy from the Dakotas and can sleep anywhere as long as it is on the ground.
Needless to say , he has his camp set up before we even find a spot for ours and I thought hammocks were quick to set up ... NO Way compaired to Van and his. :D

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Well, this is what fishing leads to- a fish fry. Did two batches of bluegill fillets. Had a few in the freezer to add to the 7 caught yesterday. A couple of glasses of wine and a plate full of bluegill fillets. MMMMMM-----Jarvis!! Get your hands outa that plate! :lol:
100_0317.jpg

Got the boat loaded up to go out again tomorrow. Piper, see the big red flag on the back? Piper duct taped a red ribbon on the back of my pirogue for the return trip from the Rendezvous ( took 2 days to get the tape residue off the boat :wink: :) )
100_0316.jpg

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yep, Piper, that's us-- mugging for the camera. :)

Had another good trip this morning. Put in at Bayou Corne and fished almost the same water as before. I had 5 big gills in the boat before it got light enough to see well. After that, I started culling the smaller ones.
100_0321.jpg

Caught over 30 in a little over 3 hours. I used an unweighted sinking spider to catch the last 10 or so. They didn't strike the spider--they ATE THE SPIDER. Had to reach down their throat to get my fly back.

Can't say enough about that fun little 3wt. rod.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I think it's slick how Joey can fidgit around with those digital pictures and make it look like he's really catching fish.

I'd normally believe him, but when it comes to talking about fishing - well, you know......

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
I think it's slick how Joey can fidgit around with those digital pictures and make it look like he's really catching fish.

I'd normally believe him, but when it comes to talking about fishing - well, you know......

Gotta love what that Photoshop can do. :wink: