New Boat For My Brother-LAST POST | SouthernPaddler.com

New Boat For My Brother-LAST POST

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
My Brother, Rev TCF on the TKF forum, liked my Bumble Bee but he wants something shorter. He loves to fly fish and does some river fishing. He also is a wide body person like his older brother.

Well we collaberated and came up with this design, now my challenge is, "can I build it to look like this?" And, "will it float?"

JERRYSBOAT.jpg

First comes the measuring, marking and laying out. Egad! All the measurements work out first try!
Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture024.jpg

I use these plastic cutting boards to keep joints smooth. I just apply a very thin film of Vaseline on the side to be exposed to resin and it works like a charm. I tried plastic sheeting and ended up with wrinkles, the cutting boards stop that.
Picture025.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture029.jpg

So far so good.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Re: New Boat For My Brother Rev TCF

When the boat is finished who is going to try it out first? You or your brother? :?
Looks like you have a nice shop to work in. Is the roll around assembly benches working out as planned?
Bob

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas

Wannabe said:
When the boat is finished who is going to try it out first? You or your brother? :?
Looks like you have a nice shop to work in. Is the roll around assembly benches working out as planned?
Bob
ME :cry:

The bench is working better than I hoped, it is great. The shop is brand new. Had it built for $3,995.00. 16 feet X 32 feet.

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas

a Bald Cypress said:
WOW, I would have thought that the vasoline would interfeer with the resin/epoxy when you put it on.

Learn sumthin new every day.

Nice boat.
I'm sure too much would be bad. I apply a little dab and rub it with a rag to coat the entire surface of the cutting board, so it just leaves a film.

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas

JEM said:
nice looking hull. From the images, the back end might be a little tough to get the side panels to follow the shape. But that could just be the image and not reality.

Thanks Matt. I am way ahead of the posted pics and yeah the drawing shows a more radical curved boattail than the build but not much. When I stitched it up it had a wonderful reaction, I immediately had 3 inches of rocker. I put all the measurements down in a lofting drawing in case this thing works out. I do know that it looks beautiful so far.

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas

Vacation just ended so progress will slow down now. But, got a lot done.

Picture040.jpg

First side panel goes on.
Picture041.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Tying the wires . . . all 1 zillion of them
Picture047.jpg

Picture048.jpg

Tape goes on and top of side panels are braced at desired width
Picture051.jpg

Look at the rocker on this puppy
Picture053.jpg

Fillets went in fast this time, I used a new idea. Bought some refillable caulking tubes. Shortened one down to 5 inches long and put my fillet material in it and caulked the joints. Then used the rounded end of a Bondo black plastic stir stick to drag out excess and make the fillets uniform. Worked great and fast.
Picture059B.jpg

Cutting the wires and pulling out the popsicle miniture sticks
Picture059D.jpg

Taping the outside getting ready to fill the gaps
Picture059E.jpg

Picture059F.jpg

The beloved sanding process
Picture059H.jpg

Picture059I.jpg

I'm happy with these fillets
Picture059J.jpg

Placing the glass belt in the corners
Picture061.jpg

6 oz cloth on the inside. Want this puppy to be strong.
Picture087.jpg

She's bottom side up right now. Going to do the outside hull.

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas

Gotta do something while you watch the epoxy dry . . .

So I built the mount for my brother's boat and upgraded mine at the same time.

SEAT2.jpg

SEAT3.jpg

SEAT5.jpg

SEAT5C.jpg

SEAT6D.jpg

BASE IS LAMINATED WITH GLASS ON BOTH SIDES, MOUNT IS IMPREGNATED WITH RESIN, ALL IS WATERPROOF

SEAT6E.jpg

MOUNT IS 5 INCHES HIGH, SEAT RAISES YOUR BUTTOCKS 9 INCHES OFF THE DECK

SEAT7.jpg

ADDING VELCRO TO SECURE BUT ALLOW ADJUSTMENTS

SEAT7A.jpg

GOT TO BE MONOGRAMED!
SEAT7E.jpg

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas

Got her turned over and starting on the hull.

Picture092.jpg

Filling the outside gaps.

Picture093.jpg

Smoothing and rounding the edges.
Picture094.jpg

Picture100.jpg

Picture102.jpg

Edges are glassed.
Picture113.jpg

Pre-fitting the cloth.
Picture114.jpg

Glassed at last.
Picture116.jpg

Picture118.jpg

Picture121.jpg

Skeg is glued in place and drying. This boat is so short and wide and has so much rocker I was afraid she would waddle when paddled.
Picture122.jpg

Next comes 3 coats of Graphite resin on the bottom, then she goes back over for the bulkheads and decks.

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
Re: New Boat For My Brother-Graphite on Hull

Well, I thought I took photos of the fill coats and sanding but didn't. I finally managed to get to the first application of graphite resin on the hull. Got 2 more coats to go.

Picture128.jpg

Picture132.jpg

While waiting for the epoxy to dry I decided to cut some strips from the red cedar I bought and get ready for my rub rails and deck bracing. I wetted it down to check it's color and I'm really pleased.
Picture127.jpg

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
Re: New Boat For My Brother-Graphite on Hull

Wish it would rain and cool off around here, heck it didn't rain one day last week and another one this week. Waiting for epoxy to cure is like watching hair grow. I actually had to watch the Cowboys play today, the whole game.

I have managed to turn this beauty over and start on the topside. Splicing some strips together for rubrails, measuring and cutting braces for the decks, cutting and measuring the bulkheads. Takes a while when you are engineering as you go. The Lord is kind because I haven't wasted any wood yet, but I'm moving like a snail . . . measuring 3-4 times before I cut . . . sometimes 5-6 times.

I'm also working with extension cords from the house to the shop. Too wet to get my electric conduit in the ground, but that's another sermon.

The Bottom graphite is finished, sitting her on her bottom and starting on the inside.
Picture165.jpg

Just a small tease on the decks and bracing. Nothing glued in place yet, just fitted and taped for mock up. Seems to be square and true. This "Honey Bee" will have a 6 foot open cockpit and a watertight hatch front and rear.
Picture171.jpg

The bow grabs will be anchored into a 1"X4" hardwood board. Bow shot.
Picture174.jpg

Bow shot.
Picture175.jpg

Dry mock up of bow deck.
Picture169.jpg

Stern deck is glassed (and still wet) and just sitting in place. No bracing yet.
Picture172.jpg

Bulkheads are glassed and curing. Front deck is also glassed, just didn't post a pic of it yet.
Picture173.jpg

Should get the front braces glued in place tonight, stern braces tomorrow night.

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
Re: New Boat For My Brother-Starting on decks

Now that the front deck braces are in and dried I'm starting on the rubrails which I cut out of WRC 2X4X8'.

That means I can use my new toy, the adjustable angle guide to cut my long angels on the strips.
Picture176.jpg

Picture177.jpg

It really feathers the cut and I don't have to do anything until after I glue the strips together.
Picture178.jpg

Almost invisible even before sanding.
Picture179.jpg

Picture180.jpg

Then I mix my goopie and glue the first rail in place. Looks kind of light but I have already tested the color when wet and it is a rich dark color.
Picture182.jpg

Once the rails are dry and firm I can start on the rear deck braces. Both decks and bulk heads are ready and waiting. I have designed the hatches and haven't decided if I will cut them before or after I secure the decks to the boat. Probably after.

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
Re: New Boat For My Brother-Starting on decks

Had some pretty nice weather today and yesterday so I got some work done.
Decided to cut in the front hatch and build the hatch shelf.
Picture184.jpg

Nice size hole has appeared in the front deck. 11 inch X 16 inch hatch should allow good size camping items to be stowed.
Picture186.jpg

Also decided to build the battery box while waiting for resin to dry in other areas.
Picture189.jpg

Framing the braces for the rear deck.
Picture191.jpg

Cut and fitting the hatch shelf to the deck.
Picture192.jpg

Made up some goopy and glued the shelf in place.
Picture193.jpg

Picture195.jpg

Adding the backing to the hatch cover.
Picture197.jpg

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
Re: New Boat For My Brother-10/22 AMOST THERE

Should have this Honey Bee in the water soon. Got a lot more finishing and rigging to do but it should go fast, after I do some fishing :twisted:

Rear deck bracing and grab handle mounting support.
2009-10-22072853.jpg

Rear deck mockup, not glued in place yet. Got to cut the hatch and make the lid and tray.
2009-10-22073040.jpg

Installed a water runoff block, and the front deck is mounted and secure along with lid. Also got the battery box built and set inside the hold but not secured yet.
2009-10-22072932.jpg

Long shot of empty cockpit.
2009-10-22073057.jpg

Bow shot with seat and crate ( just a mockup for right now).
2009-10-22073646.jpg

Stern shot. Lots of room in this puppy. Patty . . . er uh . . . Jerry will really enjoy this leg room and storage space.
2009-10-22073624.jpg

I'm really excited about this boat. I hope it floats and handles as good as it looks. I am concerned with the strength of the sidewalls with the radical curve on the rearward half in the seat area. I am going to install another 2 inch strip along the top of the side wall as a precaution. I think it will also be a good looking addition. Got to cut out and shape the same kind of water block as the front deck for the rear deck.

I did take time to lift this boat this morning and it is LIGHT! Probably half the weight of the Bumble Bee.

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
Re: New Boat For My Brother-10/24 WOOD WORK IS DONE

Well . . . . . . . . . . . . . . all the hard work is done except for the finish sanding and coats.

I will probably float the Honey Bee Monday or Tuesday and locate the best seat location so I can rig the foot rests and seat mounting.

Hatches are cut in, side rails inside and out are in but will need some touch up sanding and finishing. Hatch hold down straps will be installed after the finish coats. Don't know what to do on the hatches as far as being able to remove them. They are surface smooth and you need good finger nails to pick them up. Thought about doing a "picture box" inset of a cross for a sunken "grab handle" or just a small cross stuck on the hatch as a "grab Handle.???" Could use some expert opinions on that. :wink:

I haven't weighed this boat yet but I'm guessing it weighs about 45 pounds without the heavy seat and mount.

Picture197d.jpg

Picture200.jpg

Picture201.jpg

Picture202.jpg

Picture203.jpg

Picture208.jpg

Picture209.jpg

Picture210.jpg

Picture211.jpg

Picture212.jpg

Picture213.jpg

OOPS! Grand Nephews took over the ship!
Picture207.jpg

Talk about nervous. How is this thing going to float and handle. I've tried to figure out weight capacity but it goes beyond my ability. I down loaded a couple of design programs that are supposed to calculate displacement but I can't figure the programs out yet. I'm just too newby to understand all the nautical jargon used in the programs. But, getting into the boat in the water will answer all my questions . . . . . . and . . . . . . . . . . maybe . . . . . . . . . test my PFD :shock:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

Preacher,

Those little pirates have your boat captive! Not hard to see who some fishing partners will be in the future.

On the hatch, here's a thought. The straps will not provide and downward force against the flat topped surface. And, as you observed, the flat topped surface offers no hand grip. If you added a low, wooden arch under each strap, you could kill two birds with one stone. Hatches look to be, say 12" wide in your picture. A strip of wood, say, 12" wide, in a large radius curve on top rising to,say, an inch, would let straps push downwards on the hatch cover and help seal it. Deep grooves into both sides of that strip will provide finger holds. Holes clean through would also provide finger holds, and delete more weight.

I'd also tether each hatch cover with a line from inside the cargo bay affixed to the bottom side of each hatch cover. Wind can flip a piece that size pretty quickly and pretty far.

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas

Got to have a Trolley when you fish the Red River.

TROLLEY1.jpg

TROLLEY3.jpg

TROLLEY4.jpg

TROLLEY5.jpg

TROLLEY6.jpg

I use 1/2 inch PVC for axel housing and 1/2 inch all thread for the axle. The PVC is held in place by pouring goopie around it. Nylon lock nuts stop a lot of heart break. I will cover the surface that touches the boat with a thin outdoor carpet. I will pick up the plastic rimed pneumatic tires tomorrow at Harbor freight. The black strap goes around the boat to hold it on the cart. The slot in the middle is allowing for the skeg.