New England | SouthernPaddler.com

New England

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Carol and I got back last night from a week touring New England. We toured along the Finger Lakes and the Mohawk Trail in New York. Went through Holyoke and Springfield Massachusetts. And on down to Plymouth Mass. Plymouth Rock, what is left of it after rough handling, is there.

A replica of he Mayflower is too. 102 people sailed on that, along with a lot of livestock to be either eaten along the way, or bred for herds once they landed. Family groups were on wooden slat bunks, stacked a couple to three feet apart, stacked three to four deep. A curtain provided "privacy". Some changes since I was a kid. We were taught that the Pilgrims were a mix of malcontent religious folks (the word zealot wasn't mentioned, but tiptoed all around), and dregs of debtors prison. In other words, the English were flushing their social toilet, and these less than desirable folks were the effluent. Well, in Plymouth, today's story is that they were downtrodden worshipers of the Lord, and the rest of the passengers were business partners investing a in a new company.

South of Plymouth is a few acres called the "Plimouth Plantation". Here are replicas of an Indian family homestead (only part of a village). It is manned by descendants of original Indians. They explain a lot about the life and times of Indians in the 1600's. Also there, is a Pilgrim village. Frankly, the Indians had better housing, I thought.

On Tuesday, we rode the train into Boston and walked the Freedom Trail. This is a path around and through Boston touching on such items as Old North Church, Paul Revere's home, Bunker Hill, Old Ironsides (the good ship Constitution.), and the site of the "Boston Massacre" where some riled citizens threw stones at British soldiers holding loaded guns. Not the brightest thing in the world to be doing, ehh?

Next, we went North through Vermont and back into New York again. I found New York, Massachusetts, and Vermont so heavily wooded it would be hard to hang a hammock. Rolling (what they call mountains, what folks in the Sierra's call foot hills) hills (some 1,000-2,000 feet above the valley floor) showed exposed granite, sandstone, layered limestone, gneiss, and other rocks in many places. I would love to fly over this entire area in the fall when leaves are changing color.

Whilst in Vermont, we visited the Cabot Cheese factory in Cabot. They make world award winning cheeses, and their cheddar is the best. We also visited Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream factory, and I ran a quality control check for them. We also went through Robert Frosts home town; I waved just in case he was looking. Another stop was the Vermont Country store where they sell many items from the 50's and 60's. I brought home a Bit-o-Honey candy bar.

We traveled west over the northern tip of Lake Champlain, and reentered Canada a hundred or more miles SW'ly of there. Before we hit Toronto, we go north to 407, the electronic toll road where traffic is light, Driving Route 401 through Toronto is enough to drive a rock crazy.

The big upshot of the trip for me was seeing the Eastern Woodlands in those states. Michigan has a lot of woods, but many are cleared off for farming. In Vermont, they could be grazing critters on even small pastures, keeping one or two for the freezer, and selling off one or two. Nope.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
401 from Detroit to Toronto is a nightmare and a speed bump road all the way. Every crack in the junction of the sections is like a speed bump , plus the smog ( when I was there ) would choke a maggot. Then when I got to Toronto the pot holes at most intersections would swallow a 18 wheeler and still have 3 feet left over to fill. Naturally the kids would have an apartment right down town at the marina , nice view from there 17th floor apartment :roll:

402 from London , Canada to Port Huron was a relief to travel down and back to the states. Plus going threw customs at Port Huron was a breeze compare to the mess on 401 at Detroit.

One thing in my favor , was the Florida Tags on the buggy , everyone knew I was out of my element and watched out for me , those Canadians are courteous drivers. :D

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, I missed seeing Pocahontas this time, but did get to talk with Governor Bradford over a cuppa coffee. Strangely, all the tea had disappeared. :?

Neither Carol nor I take pictures; takes up too much of my enjoyment time just so's I can show someone else my boring pictures.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Last time I was in New England, I visited two different maritime museums. One in Mystic, Connecticut, and the other in Bath, Maine. Great way to spend some time if you love wooden boats.

There is a LOT to see in New England. Gotta get back there some time and try to catch the things I missed.

GBinGA

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I'd never been there, and Carol had. So, she planned the trip. We had talked a lot about what we were to see, and where to go. When I return, I won't be driving; I'll fly the Ruptured Duck over it and stop to visit at small, public air fields. Whip my trusty bike out of the back end, and go tour the area. I want to eat a lot more fresh sea food on the next trip.

That will likely be in the fall of '10. Lots of hardwood trees there to change color; lots of picturesque river valleys to fly along or explore up into. Lots of little air fields to drop into out there. On either the trip out or back, I'd like to drop in and visit Yakus Aeronautics, ole Dorazio San. If we can track down a Cracker Barrel, I might even treat his wife, Pat, to a strawberry sundae. If Jimmie behaves himself, we might let him tag along. (Pat, and a promise of a strawbery sundae, are the only two earthly forces known to coral that feisty, old Eye-tal-yun.)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
When I return, I won't be driving; I'll fly the Ruptured Duck over it

I'd like to drop in and visit Yakus Aeronautics, ole Dorazio San.

Where did you purchase the parachute ?
We use to have an airport near us that would tow gliders up for there flights. They also took folks up that liked to drop out of planes. Near the airport was a Bar called the ... Dew Drop Inn " where a lot of the folks that jumped out of a perfectly good airplane liked to visit or DROP IN. :lol:

Chuck.

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Ahhhhh. You stir the memories of my recent five year sojourn in Maine. Northern New England is indeed a beautiful part of the country.
There is some fine paddling up yonder..... :wink:

You should plan to fly up when they have the float plane fly-in up at Moosehead Lake in Maine. Quite a sight with all sorts of amphibians and floats taking off and landing.
There is a vintage C47 there with floats big enough to qualify as yachts!

Lemme know if you need some "insider tips" when you head back.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, Nockatee, with my regular tires on, I think I'll try to avoid water landings. I'd sure like to see the floats under a C-47! Aye god they WOULD be big. I'll make a bet that a C-130 has landed on floats somewhere. They're routinely equipped with skis and regular landing gears.

I'd never been in NE'ly New England. Really nice. I want to fly it when leaves are in color.