New guy questions. | SouthernPaddler.com

New guy questions.

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
Hey guys, I have been reading through your posts for a couple of days, love the board, and I look forward to ordering a UJ kit soon (hopefully by end of summer)

My main question is related to weight capacity. I am a pretty big guy (285lbs, two years ago I had made it to 427lbs, but now I am trying to take care of myself) and I am wanting to mostly fish and daytrip up the Neches river (though I will probably hit the Trinity, and the Colordao at some point) I want to be able to carry day gear, run set lines, and haul back catfish. What size Pirogue am I looking at? I saw a mention that the overall capacity of a 14' was around 336lbs. That doesn't leave me much room for error.

Love the board, love the sense of humor, and the friendly nature you guys have.

Richard (akd GoodOlBoy)

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
Thanks woodchips, I don't know how in the heck I missed that one I had read most of them all the way back to page four or five. I used to hunt and fish the Neches in small boats with my great grandfather when I was a kid, by the time I was an adult most everybody had quit the boats, ran set and limb lines from the shore, and hunted from stands. Late last year I picked up a '77 VIP trihull, trailer, and 85 horse evenrude from my bosses boss for free (his wife wanted a gazebo where it sat). His kids had been using it for a fort for around seven years, so it needs a lot of inside work but the evenrude cranked then first time I turned it over. I figured to use it for lake fishing. I picked up a 14' Jon boat and a 6 hp '70 evenrude for next to nothing ($225 total investment part of which I traded for) to use on the river. I quickly found out that Texas does have one blind spot for a poor boy. If I was to register, title, etc the pair of boats, and the motors, and the trailer I would have to give up eating for a couple months... It was then my wife and I discussed it and as it turns out I just want to get back on the river, kinda a reward for losing what equates to a teenager in weight the last two years. I want to get back to fishing like I did a couple decades back. Fishing to feed my family, not to pay the tax man my last dime. I have no qualms about rowing, or paddling a boat, and if I can save a dime by doing a few extra hours labor that don't cost me nothing but time I will. So soon as I can sell the trihull it is leaving the yard, kit and caboodle. The Jon boat will go to one of my brothers who is more than willing to pay the state fees, and I am going to go back to my roots. My fathers family is pure Texan (I am part Cherokee by blood) and my mothers side is pure 100% Louisiana coonass ...not Cajun, coonass, I don't mean that in a derogatory way I am proud of both sides of my family. Anyway back to the point. Glad to be here and look forward to getting building. I have greatly enjoyed reading up on what you guys have been doing, and look forward to more in the future.

Btw whoever designed the logo for the site is pure genius.

If any of my spelling looks funky I am reading this and reply from home on a iPad issued to me at work. The darned spellcheck on this thing is a killer, so please excuse any boo boos.

Richard

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
Wow got so busy with background stuff I forgot to ask you the next questions I had in mind woodchips. How much plywood are we talking. From what I have gathered going over 24" in width adds another sheet, which is fine I just have to save up more pennies, and should I look at a thicker than 1/4" bottom?

I have to admit I have built a lot of stuff in my short walk on this earth so far, and a couple pieces of it wasn't even whop sided... I am more than a bit nervous and the glassing in stage, but overall I am really eager to get going. Just gotta wait till my wife finds another job, or a nice person buys my trihull for a project boat (or scrap for that matter so long as it gets sold) hopefully by end of summer, or gas prices drop back down, or I win the lotto.... Well you get the drift, broke like everybody else these days...

Richard.

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
Thanks WD, I had planned to buy uncle Johns kit as soon as I can get the trihull gone, or whenever I can get the pennies saved up. That brings up another question I have had. Just what is luan? I have bought plywood plenty of times both standard and marine grade, just never really spotted luan before. Dunno if it was just an oversight on my part or what.

Thanks

Richard.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Be carefull when choosing the well known Luan plywoods. The thickness of the veneers in some of the normal lumberyard stuff lacks the quality interior cores for much strength. Its changed over the years for sure. Superply is probably the only thing that I would use unless your local yard is carrying some special stock these days of the luans.

In three ply 1/4" stuff the inner core are usually the thickest but thats the weakest link too for plywood for this application. The outer faces amounts to nothing more than a fingernail for skinning over the suspect interior stuff.

If you live in the southest corners of Texas, maybe Houston is on the horizon for you. Houston Hardwoods is an outlet that a lot of folks use on a regular basis. I am not aware of outlets across the border in Lewiziana. :wink:

http://www.houstonhardwoods.com/
Ask for Tim, which is a decent guy. Choosing some five ply would probably be the best and worth the extra pennies even though sticker shock happens a lot for the first timers. While most folks use the Okumne plywood which weighs a bit less, the meranti is a bit more structual and stiffer.

Running catfish lines? yep a buddie down that way did quite well this early springtime.

file.php

file.php

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
The size boat you need depends on several factors, only one of which is the load you want to carry. Other factors include the water you're going to be in, anticipated activities, the style of boat and your personal skill level in the boat. I've shown this picture several times before but here's a 14 footer, in still water, with about 600 lb of people in it. It's not their first time in a small boat. :D

IMG_0385.jpg

It's also not a UJ design, the side flare is about 45 degrees.

I agree with Oyster, buy good plywood, you won't regret it. Another advantage to good wood is that you don't have to mess with all that fiberglass and multiple coats of epoxy.

If you're going to be running lines, I would definitely recommend a tumblehome along the sides similar to the pirogue in the picture or like this one

IMG_0139.jpg

woodchips

Mar 29, 2010
Montgomery, Alabama
I didn't discover the UJ pirogue kit till after I started building, I just did what I saw my dad do, and what I had seen already built. If I had known of the UJ kit I probably would had gotten one on my first build. I like wood work and just cut my own frames and stems.
To get that 30" wide bottom beam I just placed my ply center and put two scarfs in the bottom each 4' from the center. Then used the rest of that sheet to finish the bottom.
I cut the other sheet 4 even rips by 8 foot long to make the sides. This also staggered my side and bottom joints.
So I only used 2 sheets.

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
Thanks everybody that gives me quite a bit to chew on. My skill level is.... Well I am a lifelong fisherman, a good scuba diver, and snorkeler .... :p IE I am a water rat who has been dry far far too long. At this point I am going to take the various advice and put it together with a UJ kit. Afterwards who knows what I might build. Dad has been wanting to get into canoeing for years, and I have been showing him this page and uncle johns for a bit. Maybe I can get him in on the act.

Thanks guys, any more advice or chatter is well appreciated too.

Richard..

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
build with a good grade of plywood (1/4" marine) and you don't need fiberglass for strength

never understood the economics of using $10/sheet plywood then spending money for ten yards of glass and a gallon or two of epoxy just to avoid spending $50/sheet for a couple of good sheets. But YMMV :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Now that you have it figured out , let me toss this in the fire.

You can add a 4th rib to the Uncle John Pirogue to add more stability and interior space to it. You can also stretch it out to what ever length you want it to be. The extra rib widens out the center for more room in that area.
The standard 15 1/2 feet is a really good boat and easy to build. I have made one at 17 1/2 feet and one person made one at 25 feet. The 25 was so he could paddle folks around and show some southern swamps to them. :wink: All of mine are for personal use.

Chuck........
PS. I'm the fool that dreamed up the guy paddling the Gator. Also did a Mountie paddling a moose for the guys up north.
4578462v1_350x350_Front.jpg

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
Now dad burn it chuck, you come up with that seat ( which I am also ordering the plans for soon as I get my pennies rolled), and then you design both of those logos... I just despise a feller with more talent n me! Makes me feel all over inadaquate... :D

Ok I have seen the fourth rib mentioned quite a bit. Since I am ordering a kit do I order an extra rib or do I just match the dimensions on the middle rib? And how effective is butting the sheets instead of lapping them? I know several of you have done it but is the long term lifespan good on them?

I saw the Mountie logo there man, but I dunno about that one, makes me want to go huntin, AND reminds me of the old joke about the fella that took his wife huntin.. :p Just pullin yer leg I like that one too buddy.

Richard..

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When you order the kit , let them know you want the 4th rib and it will be included .... at an extra cost.

All I have used are the butt joints on the ones I made and so far ( 11 years later ) the 1st one I made and all the rest since then are still in one piece that does not leak.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Richard, you may want to visit Seedtick and Keith to see the boats they build. They prefer to obtain strength from the parent material, wood. Others use lighter plywood and reinforce it with glass & epoxy. Different philosophies and different boats.