New guy showing my boat | SouthernPaddler.com

New guy showing my boat

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Here is my current boat. I built it about 10 years ago and recently modified the deck for much more open space. It's based on a Mill Creek 13, but I added a little beam and rocker to the original design. I also put more curve in the sheer and added crown to the deck.
yak1.jpg

yak8.jpg

yak7.jpg

I've been admiring the work many of you guys do, so let me know what you think

Oh and here's a pic of my first boat a Wee Lassie
canoe1001.jpg

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Did you build the paddle in third picture also Too Busy? Great looking Kayak. I like two tone boats.
Paul

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
paddle

Yeah I did. It was kind of an experiment that wroked better than I planned. I like the shape of Carlisle asyms but not the price so I sketched up what I wanted.
The paddle blades are 1/8 inch thick craft foam from WalMart with a layer of fiberglass mat laminated on each side. I wanted the blades curved, so I did the lamination on the nose of my son's surfboard.

The shaft is a closet pole from Lowe's

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
We've been talking about the use of foam on some back channels. Probably needs a heavy weight glass cloth. What did you use?
Paul

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
I used medium heavy mat because I had it laying around. I think 8-10 oz cloth would work really well and provide a smoother finish with less fill coats and sanding.

The blades have a little flex. The wood reinforcing rib filleteed to the blade keeps it to a minum

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
It really depends on where one lives. I'm 1/2 hour from the coast, so most of my time is on tidal creeks and rivers chasing trout and redfish. There is a landing on the Ashley River only 5 minutes from my house with a 7 mile trip to a landing north of Charleston or 13 miles to a city park in downtown Charleston. I'll be doing that in 2 weeks with the freind that owns boat #2 :D

There is a beautiful 50+ mile trip with stopovers at a few state parks plus some areas where sandbar camping is allowed on the Edisto River.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Archie has the Edisto Riverfest coming up in June from/at the Colleton St. Park

Here is what he posted in the trip planning section.

Come join us on June 14-15 for the Edisto Riverfest-Kayaking, canoeing, food, music, and artisans for your enjoyment. www.edistoriver.org/frames/edisto_river.htm

Chuck.
PS. You would like Archie is is one interesting and very nice person who is always willing to help a paddler.

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Kayak Jack said:
I see you opened up the cockpit on a kayak; I did that too. I call it my kaynoe. Started life as a Pygmy Osprey standard, and is now a decked canoe.

It had a much smaller opening when I first buit it. I loved the way it looked, but getting things out when I needed them for fishing was a pain. I didn't want to strap a big plastic crate on the back deck, so the Jap saw came out.

It dropped a little weight in the process which is neve a bad thing

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
One kayak I built, I glued in small pulleys fore and aft, and run a circular line through each of them. The first item to go in the pointy ends gets bound to the circular line and both pulled and pushed up into the ends. I remove large, easy to get items, then upset the remainder of the load with a yank on the line.