New to forum | SouthernPaddler.com

New to forum

Wells

Apr 18, 2007
central Michigan
I recently discovered this forum and will withhold judgment based on what I have read so far. :lol: I have been a scoutmaster for 20 years, bacpacking, hiking, camping and some but not a great deal of canoeing. I am considering building my first Pirogue based on what I found on Uncle John's websit for Cajun Pirogues. Any suggestions for a newbie?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Get the kit or plans , wood , epoxy and fiberglass , cut the wood and assemble the boat is the best way. You might make a mistake but it is only wood and easy to correct , frustrating but easy to correct. We will be here to answer any questions that you might have.

The worse step in making a boat is actually deciding to do it and which one to make , (especially your 1st one) then it becomes fun. Study the plans so you know the steps , then restudy them to make sure you know all of the steps and then go forward.

It is not work or complicated , just fun and then you have a boat for your enjoyment. If you have ever made anything from wood then you can make a boat.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Wells,

Welcome aboard mate from this side of the drain.

The UJ pirogues are lovely boats - easy to build, very nice lines and they ould be even better to paddle. Go for it mate, and please post your build story. We love lots of piccies. :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Bob,

Not back yet mate. Have called in at the Mother in Laws place for a couple of ays an I am using her putor. Can't share any piccies, I forgot my USB cable.

Having a great time so far, paddled some lovely places.

Will probably be home about the 27th or 28th.