New Whitewater Paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

New Whitewater Paddle

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Here we go again. While waiting for the workers to complete drywalling my den I needed something to do so why not another paddle. May get to do some light Whitewater paddling so I thought I'd better have a paddle....

IMG_2751_1.jpg

Used Cedar and Poplar from Lowes.
IMG_2753_1.jpg

Is it true you hang flamingos by the neck till they drop off like pheasants, then you know they're ready to cook? These have been hanging for years and still nothing.... :roll:
IMG_2754.jpg

Glued a few laminations on for looks as well as strength. Hope Gator Dog is not doing what I think he's doing!! :lol:
IMG_2757.jpg

Built up the Grip from scraps of wood.
IMG_2761_1.jpg

Rough cut out of Grip
IMG_2763.jpg

Got up this morning and started sanding. Starting to look like a Paddle.
IMG_2767.jpg

Looking pretty good to me!
IMG_2766_1.jpg

Resembles a whitewater paddle. Almost ready for some glass on
the Blade and some epoxy on the handle......

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Thinning Epoxy

I know I've seen it on the forum before but do you thin epoxy with acetone and how much should I thin it to get best saturation on the paddle before glassing it. I know the glass will add more than enough strength but I also want to stregthen the handle as well.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Beautiful Franke! Yep, Chuckles had me thin with acetone to the consistancy you desire.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Flamingos ......... :p

IMG_2753_1.jpg

"O" Great another retiree wanting to move to Florida. My guess it would be OK since he likes to build boats and make paddles an we need all of them we can get.... Boat builders not Flamingos... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heck he is almost here he is in Georgia , the northern part of Florida.:roll: Yep folks the Spanish had all of use in one area way back then.

Chuckles

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Flamingos

IMG_0906_3.jpg

These ones are just resting up. We use them every year to pull Santa's Sleigh on the roof. Rudy the Red Nosed Flamingo even has a lit nose...... We ain't strange...... Just Different...... :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Franke.......have you thought about seeking professional help? I think there is still enough left to work with..... :roll:

Looks great! :wink: :lol: