Newbie here | SouthernPaddler.com

Newbie here

Kingfish6221

Nov 30, 2008
Illinois
OK, I am about to enter the DARK SIDE.
Been paddling plastic for a few years and I love the look of the wood/glass boats. Been looking at attempting to build my own and have decided to take the plunge.
My goal is a JEM Laker but for my first project I'm going with a Touring Piroque TV. Garage is cleaned, work table and tools set up, and wood for the stove stacked. Have read the instructions six times and ordered epoxy and cloth today. Will layout and cut wood Sunday and then I'll probably be coming here often for info. Wish me luck

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Right there with you

I'm just a few steps behind you. Picking up the wood this afternoon.
Welcome and good luck!
From what I have seen, the folks here will keep us from getting too far off course.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We can offer explanations on how to do things that work for us , your job will be in deciphering which way you will do it. The only gurantee is that they work for us more times then not. :lol:

Keep a couple of thoughts in the back of your mind .

1. You will make some mistakes but it is nothing except wood and fiberglass so they can be corrected or hidden.
2. Take your time and double check each cut before cutting it. That one alone has caused me to go get more wood then anything else. :oops:
3. Day dreaming about being out there paddling it , camping out of it or just fishing and goofing off in the boat will be a lot of fun .... Plus you made it. :D
4. Welcom to the world of sawdust , sandpaper and epoxy.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Kingfish
You picked a good one to start on, in my stable of boats that is by far the one that will do it all. Its fast stable handles great and will carry a ton.
Everyone thats built a TV has nothng but good things to say about them.
Ron

islandpiper

kingfisher, welcome aboard the floating nut house. Lots of info here, most of it good. we are a happy bunch and a friendly forum. Looking forward to hearing about your new build AND SEEING LOTS OF PICS......OR PICCIES depending on whether you are posting for the northern or southern hemisphere.

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Welcome aboard, Kingfish. Most of the fellas on here make boats, some don't. Makes no difference, we all paddle. Some also camp, or fish, or watch birds, or bring rain.

Join in with your thoughts, experiences, stories, etc. They all have to be, of course, verifiably true. Over two hundred years ago, Cap'n Meriwether taught me to be honest and truthful. I have been ever since. You should be too.