Newbie Question - How Long Should I Make My UJ Pirogue? | SouthernPaddler.com

Newbie Question - How Long Should I Make My UJ Pirogue?

memphisjim

Dec 17, 2009
I am starting my first Pirogue. The sides and bottom have been scarfed and glued and I'm ready to cut the 45 degree angles on my sides. But need advice on how long to make the sides. The main reason I am making the pirogue is for duck hunting in water that is too deep to wade but generally protected from wind and not considered open water. I'd like for it to be a short as I can make it (for ease of moving around and taking in and out of water in less than ideal conditions) without compromising safety. I plan to make the bottom 28 inches and am using 4 ribs. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Personally , Myself , I like the 15 @ 1/2 ones. The question I would have for you is ...... What do you take when duck hunting , The shotgun , decoys , a dog , a partner , a case of shotgun shells , Duck calls , A Thermos of hot coffee or a small stove and some groceries for a bowl of hot soup.

OK... So some of those things are left behind but it is not just you in the boat it is everything else that goes along. You need room for them along with yourself.

Shorter boats work well , the standard ones work a lot better since they will take more , have a shallower draft and offer more moving around room , especially with the 4th rib. Seams to me that if you use that 4th rib and shorten the boat down then you will be defeating the idea of the 4th rib.

It's a good call but I'm sure in the back of your mind you know exactly what you need and will get more suggestions on the length........ :D

Chuck......