newbie question: rub rails | SouthernPaddler.com

newbie question: rub rails

Gran23

Dec 24, 2009
I need to know if you guys think this will work or not.I am considering cuting a 1x4x14 in half and using that my rub rails.My choice of wood are listing below. My concern is whether or not the wood would be to stiff or not to use for rub rails? Not sure if it matters but I am using 3/8 ply for the bottom and sides.

1x4x14 boise cascade bmdd
1x4x14 we Hc t/g patten KDsyp
1x4x12 no2 whiteboard

As always thanks for you help!

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I don't know what bmdd is. The Southern Yellow Pine would work, but you don't need the tongue and groove on it if that is what the t/g means. Where are you located? Look at the wood trim at Home Depot if you have one of them near you. 3/8 inch ply will make for a pretty heavy pirogue.

Gran23

Dec 24, 2009
Hey Jimmy thanks for your help. I went with a 16ft 2x4 and had it cut down into strips.Considering this is my first build and I pretty rough on my toys, I decided to go with the 3/8 ply. Weigh will not be that big of a concern this time around.
Oh yeah, I live outside of Baton Rouge, La.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Well Dang Gran,
Ya shoulda went over to Pipers last month. You would have been able to see some fine boats, knives crosbows, blowguns, and some mighty fine food spiced with exquisite Boat Science. Ta gotta go next year.
Bob