North Maine woods ( NMW)VERY picture intense! | SouthernPaddler.com

North Maine woods ( NMW)VERY picture intense!

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Got a chance to go on a last minute trip WAY up north last week. Flew into Boston and rented a car and commenced to driving North. 8 hours worth of North. Destination was Loon Lodge
http://loonlodgemaine.com/
I thought I had been in some way out of the way places in my time but when you get to the end of the road on the way to Loon Lodge. Its another 50 miles! :shock:
At any rate. A fine place to spend some time. Incredible scenery, Moose, Loons calling most all day. Pretty good fishing.
I'll let the pictures tell the story way better than I can........
One of the countless sloughs on the way in.
file.jpg

The cabin were we stayed
file.jpg

The views from Round Pond
file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

Cow Moose
file.jpg

More scenery in the next lake down the chain
file.jpg

Bull Moose ( This guy was not worried about us a bit and I'd lay odds he could have whooped up on us if given half a chance :shock: )
file.jpg

The view from on top of Allgash mountain
file.jpg

Another scenery shot going into Poland Pond on a cloudy day
file.jpg

On our last day there we hiked into Little Allagash falls. About a 2 mile hike on a really bad trail but well worth the effort.
file.jpg

file.jpg

On the drive back down to Boston we took a side trip and ran out to Bar harbor/Acadia National Park. Very pretty scenery but way to many people after having been in relative seclusion for the last week. I took a few pictures and got back on the road.
file.jpg

file.jpg

And finally, a wooden boat :D
file.jpg

Great trip!

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Stunning Piccies mate,

Thank you for sharing. :D I now have a new screan saver :D I even saw some pirogue country there :D

Bar Harbour looks a great place for a sea kayak. I'm guessing there would be lots of gauntlets in all that rugged coastline. :D :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I agree with Mick , There was some good looking Pirogue water there. Yep , sure was.

Now I have to ask , How did you get Jack to pose for this picture when the rut was on.

file.jpg

Getting that horny sucker to stand still , was it some cow Moose perfume you sprayed in the woods?

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Swamprat,

I got a dollar sez ya tried ta figger the line thru Little Allagash Falls. :mrgreen: No paddle boat rental? Good pichurs.

regards
bearridge

What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others. Confucius

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Thanks guys,
yeah Jack, Those moose have the strangest gait I have ever seen, and don't much care about were they are walking. We spooked a little bull way out in the middle of nowhere and he took off running. Full throttle until he hit a hole then splash!Back up and keep on going....

Chuck, No comment on Jack. 8) But I think I saw him in the Boston airport!

Mick, Yeah that Bar Harbor area would be great for serious sea kayaking. Saw lots of nice kayaks out there. Maybe next trip up I'll figure out a way to get some paddling in on the coast....

Bear. You know me a little to well. We sat by the falls and I turned to Erica and said, "You know, If I had my WW canoe here, I bet I could make it down that little stretch :p " We had access to canoes and kayaks with the lodge but nothing out and away from there. There is some serious whitewater up that way though! Penobscot, Kenebec. BIG water. Saw one stretch along the road going in that looks like Nanty falls, for about a mile!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Just beautiful Swamprat! Nice job! I did some sea kayaking out of Bar Harbor about 4 years ago Mick. Really beautiful.....I don't think you would enjoy the temperature however. IT WAS COLD! Not warm like OZ.And this was in late June!
A little strange....paddling in full sun and seeing islands covered in fog.
Lobsters and beer at the end of the day were wonderful. :wink:

I agree Fella's......Jack walks a Bull Moose! Smells about the same too. :mrgreen:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Chad,

Swampy

Swamprat

It wuz a honest mistake. Keep readin' Truthful Jacks' posts 'n ya wont make no more of them. Look at poor Mike. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

The Bill of Rights is a literal and absolute document. The First Amendment doesn't say you have a right to speak out unless the government has a 'compelling interest' in censoring the Internet. The
Second Amendment doesn't say you have the right to keep and bear arms until some madman plants a bomb. The Fourth Amendment doesn't say you have the right to be secure from search and seizure unless some FBI agent thinks you fit the profile of a terrorist. The government has no right to interfere with any of these freedoms under any circumstances. Harry Browne

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey swamp rat nice looking place & pics. I must admit I would like to be paddling there . :D :wink:

I believe I like the pic of the first slough the most. I can see my self there . Thanks for sharing also.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

After a mere 1806 posts Swampy had ta take some time fer hizownself.....not like Ned Logan when he left Will Money in Big Whiskey ta check on the Scofield Kid. 8) Az ya kin see frum that pichur Swampy haz a cravin' fer stylish hats 'n even paddled some whitewater..........one time on purpose. :wink:

regards
bearridge

I went to a massage parlor. It was self service. Rodney Dangerfield

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
Swamp Rat:

Great pix! I was up in that area three weeks ago to the Poland Springs bottled water plant and drove right thru that area. It is a pretty area. The photos remind me of northern Ontario, where I go Pike fishing every May. The lodge where I go is on the end of a 12 mile gravel road. The sound of the loons are incredible. The water is so clear that you can see bottom in 20 feet of water. You can actually see the pike strike the smelt we use for bait! Go to www.pickerelbay.com for info on the lodge and fishing. Great place for fish and the owners and their family are great people.

JC

PuddlePirate

Jun 3, 2007
Maine
Welcome to my neck of the woods swamprat. I just got back from a 5 day trip down the Allagash last night (be posting that in a new post with pics).
Bar Harbor is a beatifull area. I do ask that if you do go kayaking in this area to not skimp on the survival equipment. we had a kayaker die down in the Saco area about a month ago. He could have been saved had he had the proper safety equipment to call for help.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Need a little help here guys. In UK Slough pronounced like plough is a name of a town. in the pic you assigned it to one of many sloughs. Googled slough it came up with: slough: Definition, Synonyms and Much More from Answers.com slough also slew n. A depression or hollow, usually filled with deep mud or mire. also slue A stagnant swamp, marsh, bog, or pond,
Now that water looked pretty sweet to me, am I missing something?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend john,

It rhymes with slew.

Bubba handed hiz beer ta Billy Bob 'n tole him ta watch while he slew the dragon. Bubba likely wont shoot a .357 magnum inside a cave agin......less he turns hiz hearin' aid way down low. :wink:

regards
bearridge

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one.  Cato the Elder

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The English language is very elastic. We not only use some archaic words inherited a couple thousand years ago, we wrap ourselves around new words that were just invented yesterday. Sometimes, words from different millenia get combined.

Then, of course, we have words pronounced the same, but spelled differently. And may - or may not - mean same or different things.

As I remember, the English language has only about five basic rules. It's the 10,000 exceptions to those rules that tend to cause difficulties.