Northern Harrier (Marsh Hawk) | SouthernPaddler.com

Northern Harrier (Marsh Hawk)

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I took these several years ago at the Poverty Point archaeological site in Louisiana.
http://www.lpb.org/programs/povertypoint/pp_transcript.html
As I was walking through the woods, this hawk started flying from tree to tree just ahead of me. When I got to the edge of the woods, she landed out in the field. I started angling toward her gradually getting closer, but never walking directly at her. I finally got down and crawled a little closer. I had two cameras with me, my Nikon SLR with a 135mm lens and an Olympus point and shoot with a fixed 35mm lens. These two photos were taken from the same spot with both cameras.
She never took her eyes off of me, but never did fly off.

harrier2.jpg

harrier.jpg

Jimmy

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
I don't do photo's well, but marvel at pics like those. Few of us will ever get to see anything that beautiful so close and clearly. Nice work! :)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jimmy,

First rate pichur takin'! We are covered up with Cooper's Hawk, Red Tailed Hawks 'n Sharp Shinned Hawks. Dont see near bout az many field mice.....which makes it hard ta stir fry.

regards
bearridge

Welcome to Memphis Dr. Lecter, I'm Lieutenant Boyle, this is Sergeant Patrick. Now we'll treat you as good as you treat us, you be a gentleman and you'll get three hots and a cot.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jimmy, I should say that was real close. To fill up the frame like that you must have been at spittin' distance. He kind of had that gaze like he was sizing you up for a meal. :)

Joey